Matusz & Paredes

DoubleStufOriole

Well half this board is convinced Matusz is awesome because they look at WAR stats but don't actually watch baseball games. I would have cut Matusz loose 2 years ago but whatever....

I am sure I will get attacked by all the Matusz defenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think that LOOGY is not a valuable role or do you think that Matusz is not good at it? If you don't think that Matusz isn't good at getting lefties out, no matter what kind of stats you appreciate, you are really lost.

I don't think LOOGY is all that valuable but you see situations, like the one today where we had to go to MacFarland to face a string of lefties, where it's worthwhile having one. Matusz has a very limited range of ability but he's so dominant in them that he's good to have.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the GameDay:

1st batter went 0-1 and then singled on a bunt grown ball back to Matusz.

2nd batter went 1-2 and singled to the RF. Runners at 1st and 2nd.

3rd batter struck out swinging on 3 straight strikes.

4th batter singled on a 2-2 count to the RF, one run scores, runners at 1st and 3rd.

5th batter singles on 0-1 count to the RF, one run scores, runners at 1st and 2nd.

Coaching visit to mound.

6th batter flies out on 1-0 count.

7th batter homers on an 0-2 count.

8th batter singles on a bunt to the 3rd basemen, and then steals second.

9th batter singles to LF scoring the previous batter.

10th (1st) batter flies out to end the inning.

Well half this board is convinced Matusz is awesome because they look at WAR stats but don't actually watch baseball games. I would have cut Matusz loose 2 years ago but whatever....

I'm not quite sure what to make of this post. Do you contend that he's been bad at getting lefties out?

Do you think that LOOGY is not a valuable role or do you think that Matusz is not good at it? If you don't think that Matusz isn't good at getting lefties out, no matter what kind of stats you appreciate, you are really lost.

I don't think LOOGY is all that valuable but you see situations, like the one today where we had to go to MacFarland to face a string of lefties, where it's worthwhile having one. Matusz has a very limited range of ability but he's so dominant in them that he's good to have.

Stats in the form The simple record of what occurs in games indicate that he is good at getting out lefties. No fancy WAR or anything else required.

Yeah I am not a Matusz fan and I doubt the worth of a Loogy in general. To me it would be better to have another long reliever than a guy who can't even pitch a full inning of relief. And Matusz faced almost as many right handed batters as left-handed batters last year. Problem is right-handed batters had a .375 OBP against him in 2015 and in 2014 had an .876 OPS against him (He actually faced more right-handed batters in 2014 than left handed batters).

The unwritten rule of the OH: thou must not speak badly of Brian Matusz despite how many high pressure situations he blows. Stats are fun but does it equate to all the times Buck puts him lower pressure or mop up. I am sure he is a great guy, nothing personal, just think there are other options available for cheaper. For starters, I would have signed Sean Burnett.

The unwritten rule of the OH: thou must not speak badly of Brian Matusz despite how many high pressure situations he blows. Stats are fun but does it equate to all the times Buck puts him lower pressure or mop up. I am sure he is a great guy, nothing personal, just think there are other options available for cheaper. For starters, I would have signed Sean Burnett.

Thankfully Buck and DD are in charge.

Myself for one, sure wish Matusz had been in Boston and available to pitch to Ortiz yesterday. :):):)

Huh? If anything I'd argue it's the reverse of your argument, half the board is convinced Matusz is the devil on earth.

You must be reading a different message board. There have been literally thousands of negative posts about Matusz. (I happen to agree with most of them). Not just in game threads.

From the GameDay:

1st batter went 0-1 and then singled on a bunt grown ball back to Matusz.

2nd batter went 1-2 and singled to the RF. Runners at 1st and 2nd.

3rd batter struck out swinging on 3 straight strikes.

4th batter singled on a 2-2 count to the RF, one run scores, runners at 1st and 3rd.

5th batter singles on 0-1 count to the RF, one run scores, runners at 1st and 2nd.

Coaching visit to mound.

6th batter flies out on 1-0 count.

7th batter homers on an 0-2 count.

8th batter singles on a bunt to the 3rd basemen, and then steals second.

9th batter singles to LF scoring the previous batter.

10th (1st) batter flies out to end the inning.

U-G-L-Y...this outing had no alibi...it's UGLY.

I will ask again, can you actually link to any of these delusions you claim? BTW, are you related to Sean Burnett?

I will ask again, can you actually link to any of these delusions you claim? BTW, are you related to Sean Burnett?

LOL on the Sean Burnett thing. True, big fan.

How do you provide stats on high pressure vs Low pressure situations?

I do agree with Rick on Ortiz:), but can't keep him around to face a few guys. He is good with lefties but lefties only and usually in lower pressure situations (with the exception of Ortiz).

o

Brian Matusz certainly has had his critics here on the OH.

These are some threads of Matusz' detractors on the OH from the past couple of years:

Please Get Matusz Off of This Team! ) (9/12/2015)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/150076-Please-get-Matusz-off-of-this-team!?highlight=Matusz

Does Anyone Really Have Confidence in Matusz? ) (6/17/2015)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148651-Does-anyone-really-have-confidence-in-Matusz?highlight=Matusz

Bullpen Without Matusz ) (6/11/2015)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148533-Bullpen-Without-Matusz?highlight=Matusz

Brian Matusz: Do You Hear This? ) (5/01/2015)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/147757-Brian-Matusz-Do-you-hear-this?highlight=Matusz

Why is Brian Matusz On the Roster ??? ) (4/21/2015)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/147525-Why-is-Brian-Matusz-on-the-roster?highlight=Matusz

Really Tired of Matusz ) (6/29/2014)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/142062-Really-tired-of-Matusz?highlight=Matusz

o

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I'm not necessarily trying to get on the case of the people that started these threads.

In fact, my good friend Weams even started one of them. :scratchchinhmm:

I'm simply pointing out that he has had plenty of criticism here on the OH, in addition to whatever support that he has also gotten.

Archived