Roch: All kinds of fact drops and innuendos.

weams

Well, since he's a robot, he'll have no other option but to do what he's told and not let it diminish his performance. Let's just ignore someone's preference and comfort, because some statistical analysis, which doesn't take human factors into account, says we'll be about 5 runs better over the course of a season.

Uh, he's played RF for us in the past, including 30 games there lsat year. This is hardly some huge adjustment.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris Davis in RF.

Trumbo at 1st.

Alvarez at DH.

That's the best alignment.

I don't particularly care if Davis doesn't want to play RF.

He got 160 million dollars. He does what he's told.

I know this won't happen because Davis is the big money guy and Buck doesn't want to get his vets upset, but this is the correct alignment. We know Chris can play RF; we have seen him do it. Trumbo, not so well. As far as his contract, Boras was marketing him as anything from a 3B to an OF.

I know this won't happen because Davis is the big money guy and Buck doesn't want to get his vets upset' date=' but this is the correct alignment. We know Chris can play RF; we have seen him do it. Trumbo, not so well. As far as his contract, Boras was marketing him as anything from a 3B to an OF.[/quote']

Exactly.

He was an OF if he thought he could squeeze an extra penny out of it.

Now suddently he got paid and it's too onerous.

If Buck talks to him, I firmly believe he'll do what's best for the team.

This.

Oh, and steroids.

Yes, I forgot the steroids. They tried to address their on-base percentage issues on the cheap with Kim and then legitimately with Fowler but it didn't work out.

Jury's still out on Kim but I would suggest it hasn't been encouraging thus far. I like that he's only struck out three or four times, but so far he reminds me more of Cesar Izturis then Hideki Matsui.

Yes, I forgot the steroids. They tried to address their on-base percentage issues on the cheap with Kim and then legitimately with Fowler but it didn't work out.

Jury's still out on Kim but I would suggest it hasn't been encouraging thus far. I like that he's only struck out three or four times, but so far he reminds me more of Cesar Izturis then Hideki Matsui.

Ugh that's a name I haven't thought of in about 6 years. Wasn't Izturis like the harderst guy in the game to strike out? Baffled me how that guy could OBP less than .300 WITHOUT STRIKING OUT. Where'd all those outs go?

I'm not even watching ST or keeping up. I saw we signed Alvarez, that's an eyeroll move. I'm already in Oscar The Grouch mode and it's not even Opening Day. The Fowler Fiasco was the nail in the coffin for me. Spent so much money this offseason and didn't get that much better. Unbelievable.

Exactly.

He was an OF if he thought he could squeeze an extra penny out of it.

Now suddently he got paid and it's too onerous.

If Buck talks to him, I firmly believe he'll do what's best for the team.

He's been extremely flexible in the past. He's DH'd, played 3B, played 1B and played RF when Nick went down with injury.

Ugh that's a name I haven't thought of in about 6 years. Wasn't Izturis like the harderst guy in the game to strike out? Baffled me how that guy could OBP less than .300 WITHOUT STRIKING OUT. Where'd all those outs go?

In the old days (i.e. most of baseball history) there were lots of guys who struck out 5% of the time and OPS'd, like, .600. Rich Dauer had a career K rate of 5.2% but an ISO under .100 and a career OPS of .653.

You just drop the bat head into the pitch and foul it off or ground out to second base. In 1980 Dauer had more GIDPs than Ks. All this anti-Presley talk about shortening up and putting the ball in play? That was Izturis and Dauer 24/7/365.

Well, since he's a robot, he'll have no other option but to do what he's told and not let it diminish his performance. Let's just ignore someone's preference and comfort, because some statistical analysis, which doesn't take human factors into account, says we'll be about 5 runs better over the course of a season.

I don't think it's at all clear that Davis in RF and Trumbo at 1B is even five runs better than the other way around.

It does make you wondering if there's some buyer's remorse with Kim. Not that they've given up, but that the early returns are less than what was expected. Otherwise Alvarez is just a panic move after not getting Fowler. Instead you have a DietChrisDavis who provides little flexibility and actually hinders flexibility in other areas. But if Kim isn't going to be a starter or regular, it almost fits fine then.

Davis at 1B.

Trumbo in RF.

That increases the chances that Rickard is in left for his range. Nolan in RF vs lefties with Trumbo at DH.

I think it will be rare that we see Trumbo and Kim in the same OF if Rickard hits.

Everything I read and hear says the Buck in impressed with Rickard's speed, outfield play and baseball instincts. He hit to the right side to get Hardy in from 3rd yesterday. That is the kind of bat control the O's can use. Also nice sharp single between SS and 3rd earlier in the game.

Davis at 1B.

Trumbo in RF.

That increases the chances that Rickard is in left for his range. Nolan in RF vs lefties with Trumbo at DH.

I think it will be rare that we see Trumbo and Kim in the same OF if Rickard hits.

Everything I read and hear says the Buck in impressed with Rickard's speed, outfield play and baseball instincts. He hit to the left side to get Hardy in from 3rd yesterday. That is the kind of bat control the O's can use. Also nice sharp single between SS and 3rd earlier in the game.

I agree with what you say here, but Rickard hit to the right side to get Hardy home, as he should have. Grounded out to second base.

Pinning your hopes on a guy the last place team in the division deemed expendable seems bold. I get he's going to make the team and has some promise, but my guess is his defense is what gets him PT and any offense you get at all this year is just a bonus.

He's been extremely flexible in the past. He's DH'd' date=' played 3B, played 1B and played RF when Nick went down with injury.[/quote']

Exactly.

This idea that he'll refuse to play RF, or he's so much more likely to get hurt doing it, is pretty silly.

Davis at 1B.

Trumbo in RF.

Everything I read and hear says the Buck in impressed with Rickard's speed, outfield play and baseball instincts. He hit to the left side to get Hardy in from 3rd yesterday. That is the kind of bat control the O's can use. Also nice sharp single between SS and 3rd earlier in the game.

I think Rickard has a good chance to make the team now that Alvarez is in the fold. Buck is going to want a plus OF defender on the roster to relieve Trumbo et al. late in games that we're winning, and to pinch run for all the slow guys late in close games. If he shows he can get on base, his role can expand as the year progresses.

As to who plays RF, I think it will be a process, rather than a fixed solution that is preordained on day one. Trumbo will get most of the starts out there to begin the year, and Davis may play the spot once in a while. If Trumbo is a Delmon Young-level mess out there, eventually you will be seeing Davis out there more often. And remember, Trumbo probably DH's in most of the ~45 games where we face a LH starter. I'm figuring Trumbo's year probably will include 40 games at DH, 20 at 1B, and 20 on the bench vs. certain RHP. So, we are probably seeing Trumbo in RF for maybe half the games, not all 162.

Kim/Alvarez:

The initial response to the Alvarez news was that Trumbo instantly became the right fielder, but I've already had left field floated past me as another possibility. Let's not assume that Hyun Soo Kim automatically breaks camp as a starter.

It's been projected and expected, but there's always the possibility that Trumbo slides over to left, Kim goes to the bench and right field is handled by Nolan Reimold, Rule 5 pick Joey Rickard or L.J. Hoes. Dariel Alvarez and Henry Urrutia are on the 40-man roster. The Orioles have choices.

My thoughts are Kim is NOT a regular and Alvarez makes OD roster after Reimold goes to DL.

I'd rather play Trumbo to his strength (arm) and have him in RF with less space to cover than left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived