Orioles interested in Shields?

paulcoates

I don't think he is worth the upgrade in my opinion. We need a true #1 or #2 and we don't have the pieces to trade for that. Or we need someone we think can rise very quickly.

I wouldn't mind having him on the O's. The O's the pieces to make a trade like

that. IMO

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can understand not being a huge fan of the Davis deal, but putting it among the worst contracts in baseball currently seems a bit silly to me when he hasn't played a single game under it. I think you ranked the Howard contract too low, by the way.

It is for one year. There are no bad one year contracts.

We might not have to pay for his entire contract and if pitches like his usual self, he is close to a number one though not top of the line. He gets a lot of strikeouts, swings and misses, wins games, pitches a lot of innings

helping to save the bullpen and is durable and fairly consistent.

Zito's decline was not ordinary as it was very sudden and before his age 30 season. Besides, judging by the three years leading up to signing with the Giants, it was a bad move from day one as his numbers did not

warrant such a huge contract. Even if he didn't decline like he did, it was still a bad deal. Sabathia relies on throwing heat and lost his ability when it went away. Hampton, perhaps, but realistically in baseball, everyone

is potentially one year away from a career ending event. There is no way we're going anywhere with this rotation barring a miracle. They can barely stay healthy themselves and they aren't even flirting with their age 30

season yet. Besides, if anything turned out to be wrong with Shields, I'm sure our physical would sniff it out. I'm not saying his contract isn't a bad one, but the Pads would likely cover some of it depending on what we

gave them. I wouldn't take all of his contract, either. The opt out is the only thing that bothers me at that point, but would Shields do that realistically?

So, should we wait until next year and watch all the good pitchers go off the market so we can go barrel scraping again for a guy no one else wants again? We've sold most of the farm away, we spent a ton of money

this offseason for practically no improvement and we have perhaps the worst rotation in the league and we should just be satisfied with this? The Orioles should have used the money they spent this year more wisely and

because we didn't, we're in this situation now where we have to consider doing things we shouldn't be having to consider if we made better decisions in the first place. We need major starting pitching upgrades.

Also, this is Shields' age 34 season. Why not this risk? Chris Davis is far more of a risk than Shields and so was Gallardo who we know has a shoulder that is falling apart and signed him anyway. We don't need the 90's

Braves rotation, but we need something better than a rotation of #3, #4, #5 or worse starters constantly flirting with ineffectiveness and injuries. Gausman may emerge as more this season if his shoulder stays healthy

and Wilson might as well. We also have an offense that may break the strikeout record the team set last season of 1,331 and a whole lot of low average, streaky hitters that strike out way too much and don't get on

base enough. You think this offense is going to hold up this rotation if they get results like they did last season? This isn't an elite offense we have; it's all or nothing with no discipline, very little on base ability and a

lot of solo home runs.

The bolded is key here. That's an expensive assumption. And while at face value, it can seem weird to steer clear of him due to a "what if his arm falls off tomorrow scenario," but with the list of pitchers I provided amongst others, it's not all that unprobable. Our roster at 150M with some already risky-ish contracts, would not fair well with 18 or even 16M in dead money (or severely underperforming money) over the next 3 years.

I don't think that Davis was a panic move. I think the surplus cash he got was a result of poor negotiating but he was going to be an Oriole. I didn't like the contract but if we end up regretting it, it surely won't be until after year 2 or 3 at least.

We didn't really sell the farm off. Of the prospects traded away, Davies, is probably the only one that would be a member of our current rotation. I think Bundy's injury is the bigger reason for how we got here. 2-3 years ago, we were expecting to have Bundy and KG holding down the #1 and #2 spots, or at least performing well. That makes it a lot easier to finish filling the rotation with #3's and #4's, as you say.

We are where we are. But I don't think throwing more good money after (potentially) bad, is the answer. I'd rather try to slug our way out of it while getting lucky with Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright, Chris Lee, or Vance Worley.

I'd be nervous. He just spent a whole lot of money on everything but what the team actually needed and its reared its ugly head real early this year. This is one of the worst starting pitching staffs in all of baseball.

The Davis deal screwed the O's big time. Angelos was so wrong in doing that. IMO

Why should he get or be nervous? You think that would help him make a better

deal?

He spent a lot of money to make the team better. He didn't address the rotation. Gonzalez showed huge warning signs last year. Gallardo is at best a wash for Chen. Tillman regressed. If this team fails because of the starting pitching, that's on Duquette. So yes, he should be nervous this late in ST.

He is free. He costs nothing if you take on all the salary. It is the worst contract in all of baseball. Now, this opt out? He would never consider it. He is not a 28 million dollar pitcher. The Padres got the cheap year of the contract already. He is an albatross of a contract.

Just like Davis is.

Just like Davis is.

Orioles are a contending team and wanted that player. In his age 30 season. Padres are not and don't want the Shields 34 Plus seasons. They already got the cheap one and no one would even take the contract for no players going down the stretch last year. They will eat a lot to move him. Like the Orioles will in four + years for Davis it they want to move him.

Archived