Orioles interested in Shields?

paulcoates

Yikes.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/orioles-among-teams-talking-to-padres-about-james-shields.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

James Shields rhp

4 years/$75M (2015-18), plus 2019 option

4 years/$75M (2015-18), plus 2019 club option

signed by San Diego as a free agent 2/11/15

15:$10M, 16:$21M, 17:$21M, 18:$21M, 19:$16M club option ($2M buyout)

perks: hotel suite on road

deal does not include no-trade clause, but Shields may opt out of contract after 2016 season (no later than 3 days after World Series)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yikes.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/orioles-among-teams-talking-to-padres-about-james-shields.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

James Shields rhp

4 years/$75M (2015-18), plus 2019 option

4 years/$75M (2015-18), plus 2019 club option

signed by San Diego as a free agent 2/11/15

15:$10M, 16:$21M, 17:$21M, 18:$21M, 19:$16M club option ($2M buyout)

perks: hotel suite on road

deal does not include no-trade clause, but Shields may opt out of contract after 2016 season (no later than 3 days after World Series)

The would give up Walker and get 10 million in relief probably.

I think this is probably an old rumor that got zombie resurrected somehow. The contract is not good, but the pitcher is basically exactly what we need. All we need are some guys that can go 6 innings and throw up a 4ish ERA. Gallardo, Ubaldo, and Tillman are all supposed to be able to do that, but it's looking dicey.

Supposedly several team checked in this week. And supposedly, Orioles were one.

10M in relief basically means paying him $18M per season for 2016, 17 and 18.

I'm sorry but they'll have to eat a little more than that... unless they mean 10M per season. THEN we're talking.

I don't know how you can do that with the opt out thing. Not that he would take it. But it's not like they could give you 30 up front.

We are desperate for starters. I think the front office is getting very nervous like the rest of us. They probably see all that money we spent meaning nothing if we don't do something.
I'm going to come down as being opposed to acquiring another unimpressive starter on a mult-year deal.

I just listened to Dan talk for 20 minutes; He sure is not nervous. But he is investigation possibilities. And he is projecting Dylan Bundy to help this year if he stays healthy.

I just listened to Dan talk for 20 minutes; He sure is not nervous. But he is investigation possibilities. And he is projecting Dylan Bundy to help this year if he stays healthy.

You think you'd be able to tell if he was nervous? Also, he should be nervous.

You think you'd be able to tell if he was nervous? Also, he should be nervous.

I'd be nervous. He just spent a whole lot of money on everything but what the team actually needed and its reared its ugly head real early this year. This is one of the worst starting pitching staffs in all of baseball.

I would welcome it with open arms. I will no longer concern myself with what the Orioles spend. It's their money, not mine. If they're going to throw $161 million at Chris Davis, they'd better do what it takes to have some pitching the next few years while there is some chance he might be worth the contract (and while Adam and Manny are still around). They've got a 3-year window. They'd better take advantage of it. Shields has pitched 200-plus innings nine years in a row and has had an ERA in the 3's or less five years in a row. He was excellent for the Royals in 2013-14. And he just turned 34 in December, so he's not ancient. No reason he can't have three more good years in him.

Archived