Orioles interested in Shields?

paulcoates

He doesn't even have a one year plan. Before the off season he identified the pitching as an area that needed to be improved over last year. How do you think he did?

We were talking Peter Angleos I think. Not Dan. Who every one is dismayed with.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not me. I think DD has done the best job of jumping through PA's hoops of any GM he's hired.

DD seems to have jumped through the most hoops and marshalled the most resources of an O's GM under Angelos. The problem is, he hasn't used them very wisely.

It sounds like Padres scouts are in Boston. Rumors of Panda and a prospect may happen.

I want Shields, depending on cost prospect wise. I think he's better than most give credit.

The $? Who cares. Angelos was cheap for years, can't take with you and it's not our money. Our staff needs help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shields had a SIERA of 3.73 and xFIP of 3.70 last year. The guy's HR/FB% rate last year was 17.6%. That is a flukishly high HR/FB% especially from a pitcher who has a career HR/FB% of 11.7%. If his HR/FB% was even close to his career norms last year, his ERA (and FIP) would have looked a lot better than it was.

You could also make a case that the porous Padres defense behind Shields played a major role in his poor season last year. Shields might have been less reluctant to put the ball in play, started to nibble a lot more, got behind hitters and that's where all the gopher balls came from.

Interesting discussion.

With all the data available now, and all the metrics people have come up with, you would think that there would now be a way to test that hypothesis. There should be some way of measuring whether a pitcher is attacking the strike zone or nibbling, and to track that year to year. Call it the "nibble factor"? or something. I want royalties if someone comes up with it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Time to make a move. Cut Gozo and Worley, save $5.6 mil. Deal Cisco and lower end prospect for Shields. San Diego eats $20 mil of his $65 mil contact including $2 mil option year. We take on 3@$15 mil per. With $5.6 in roster cuts, we get him for roughly $13 mil and change per year.

That is a better deal than them having to pay Panda's salary.

So we need an OF and a SP bad.

The Padres need salary relief and to dump shields and kemp.

If we are really going all in the next 2 years or so before blowing things up, we could do much worse than a workhouse SP who's been in the AL east before and a skilled OF like kemp who could be rejuvenated playing for a contender.

It's a bad idea as far as salary is concerned but provided we could get them both for not much in the way of prospects, it may be something worth considering, especially given the money we can save on Kim and gonzo.

I realize most people will hate this idea, but kemp is an ideal number 2 batter, a corner OF and along with shields would give us two vets in two sore spots of need for us.

If it's only money, is it something to consider? Would they want solid prospects?

Archived