RHP Odrisamer Despaigne

xian4

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

APRIL 8th:

Seriously, guy gets traded to a new organization which probably tells him they want him to make the following 15 adjustments, pitches 15 or so lousy innings in spring training where he is deploying those adjustments for the first time in a setting that is for all but a few players less about results and more about learning and getting ready, and people completely write him off.

Gets back to AAA, results start mattering, gets back to his comfort level for pitching and what do we see...relative success. Sustained success will be based on whether those adjustments are successfully integrated into his routine, windup, etc.

Before you post how terrible he is, stop, reserve judgment, and wait until a fairly significant evaluation can be made in the new environment.

Despaigne actually had a great outing and a pretty good outing in 2 of his last 3 games in Spring Training.

And as Weams pointed out, his curveball had an almost unbelievable break on it when he was on.

I believe (and I suspect that Weams does too) that his other Spring Training outings, which were disastrous, overshadowed what this guy has overall.

Last month, I stated that you can never have too many long relievers in the bullpen, and I was hoping that we would take both Worley and Despaigne north with us when Spring Training broke.

The Orioles didn't bring him north when the season started, but I am still a Despaigne proponent, as I was when he was alternately getting rocked and pitching well in Spring Training.

I liked Despaigne from the beginning (as did Weams.)

He will undoubtedly struggle at some point between now and the end of the season, but in my rat's ass of an opinion, he has been more of an asset than a liability for the 2016 Orioles bullpen.

He came one out from recording the Orioles first four-inning save since 2008. The O's have only had three of those this century.

The research for that uncovered what has to be the strangest and possibly the most impressive save in Oriole history. That being Dick Hall's eight-inning save on June 18, 1961. Yes, you can get an eight inning save if the starter exits after 0.1 innings of being bombed, his relief just finishes the 1st, the O's score eight in the top of the second, you finish the game with eight innings of scoreless relief, the official scorer gives the win to the 1st reliever, and you're retroactively awarded the save.

There have only been three eight-inning saves in history (well, retrosheet era of 1913-present), and the other two involved earlier win rules where the starter was credited with the win despite pitching a single ineffective inning. Hall's save is the only one that would hold up under today's rules.

The Orioles were the victim of the only 7+ inning save this century. Anyone remember that? Aaron Myette left after one batter, Todd VanPoppel got the win with two innings of relief, then Joaquin Benoit pitched seven innings of 1-hit, 1-run ball for the save.

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't take offense, Patrick, but when I saw this thread had been bumped I assumed it meant that Despaigne had been recalled again for some reason (which would have required a player going to the DL since he hasn't been down for 10 days). So I anxiously opened the thread, only to find minor league news. Ditto to the constant bumping of the "Case for Joe Gunkel" thread every time he pitches a minor league game, and probably some other threads on minor league players that somehow got posted on this forum.

My feeling is, we have a minor league forum and that's where reports on performance of minor league players go. I read that forum every day, but when I'm here on the Orioles forum I'm not looking for that, unless maybe its a regular member of the 25-man roster who is on a rehab assignment.

It's probably just me being anal, and it probably doesn't bother anybody but me, but I just had to vent. Nothing personal, as I do appreciate the updates you do on our minor league pitchers on a daily basis.

Please don't take offense, Patrick, but when I saw this thread had been bumped I assumed it meant that Despaigne had been recalled again for some reason (which would have required a player going to the DL since he hasn't been down for 10 days). So I anxiously opened the thread, only to find minor league news. Ditto to the constant bumping of the "Case for Joe Gunkel" thread every time he pitches a minor league game, and probably some other threads on minor league players that somehow got posted on this forum.

My feeling is, we have a minor league forum and that's where reports on performance of minor league players go. I read that forum every day, but when I'm here on the Orioles forum I'm not looking for that, unless maybe its a regular member of the 25-man roster who is on a rehab assignment.

It's probably just me being anal, and it probably doesn't bother anybody but me, but I just had to vent. Nothing personal, as I do appreciate the updates you do on our minor league pitchers on a daily basis.

Respectfully done, Frobby, and I agree. The board is far too full of zombie threads in general, in my opinion. At minimum, the minor league goings on should be moved.

There was a time when all the threads on the ol' OH were original thinking, insights and stat crunching. Now it's littered with all old rehashed threads (do we have to see the NY/NJ/CT fans thread from 7 years ago every time we play the Yanks?)

I'm not offended.

I wrote to a mod, and asked the title to be changed.

If I had any control over it I would change the title(s) and the forums in which they are in, but I don't.

Respectfully done, Frobby, and I agree. The board is far too full of zombie threads in general, in my opinion. At minimum, the minor league goings on should be moved.

There was a time when all the threads on the ol' OH were original thinking, insights and stat crunching. Now it's littered with all old rehashed threads (do we have to see the NY/NJ/CT fans thread from 7 years ago every time we play the Yanks?)

The Orioles play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium 9 to 10 times per year, every year.

It's for Oriole fans that live in this area.

If you're not interested in it, don't click on it.

I see no hardship for you or for anybody else at having that thread bumped whenever OH fans are going to Yankee Stadium.

Continuous threads create less litter, not more. For example, how many different threads have been made on the main board about about Miguel Gonzalez and Jake Arrieta that Weams has to keep merging with the already existing thread(s) in the MLB section? The answer is more than 10.

o

10 OUTS: 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Strikeouts, 1 Popout, 1 Lineout

ODRISAMER DESPAIGNE ORUE O (vs. AAA-Durham, 8/04)

IP:l 3.33

H:;; 7 ll(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:l) 3

BB:)0 *

SO:)2

Pitches: 65 (42 Strikes, 23 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.82 (AAA-Norfolk)

* Despaigne had 2 Hit Batsmen

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (61 Strikes, 3 Balls)

18 (11 Strikes, 7 Balls)

28 (19 Strikes, 9 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 4 Balls) **

** Despaigne recorded 1 out before departing in the 4th inning.

The Orioles play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium 9 to 10 times per year, every year.

It's for Oriole fans that live in this area.

If you're not interested in it, don't click on it.

I see no hardship for you or for anybody else at having that thread bumped whenever OH fans are going to Yankee Stadium.

Continuous threads create less litter, not more. For example, how many different threads have been made on the main board about about Miguel Gonzalez and Jake Arrieta that Weams has to keep merging with the already existing thread(s) in the MLB section? The answer is more than 10.

Hey, I know bumping old threads is your thing. I don't like it. It makes the front page of threads seem old and tired. To each his own.

o

12 OUTS: 6 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Strikeout

ODRISAMER DESPAIGNE ORUE oo (vs. AAA-Gwinnett, 8/10)

IP:l 4

H:;; 2 ll(1 Home Run, 1 Single)

R:l) 1

BB:)2

SO:)1

Pitches: 70 (42 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.73 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

32 (19 Strikes, 13 Balls)

81 (51 Strikes, 31 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 31 Balls)

20 (11 Strikes, 91 Balls)

o

5 shutout innings.

12 out of 15 of the outs that Despaigne recorded came via the ground ball and the strikeout.

15 OUTS: 8 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Strikeouts, 1 Popout, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

ODRISAMER DESPAIGNE ORUE oo (vs. AAA-Scranton, 8/15)

IP:l 5

H:;; 2 ll(2 Singles)

R:l) 0

BB:)2

SO:)3

Pitches: 78 (49 Strikes, 29 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.48 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

91 (71 Strikes, 21 Balls)

12 (91 Strikes, 31 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

26 (15 Strikes, 11 Balls)