PED Suspensions Coming

Sessh

BA mentioned in a teaser that a 16 yr old international player tested hot for something but the details are behind the paywall.

Any Orioles yet? And what 16 year old International player has not had a bit of a boost ;) Don't tell me that health and morality keep a young man from his or his buscones dreams.

Marlon Byrd gets a full year suspension. I am not suprised it's not like you can expect a guy late 30's or early 40's playing great ball without some help.

He was only making a million this year anyway. So what does he lose 600k? I guess in his situation it was worth the risk.

Marlon Byrd gets a full year suspension. I am not suprised it's not like you can expect a guy late 30's or early 40's playing great ball without some help.

"I have paid close attention to the substances that are banned by the Joint Drug Agreement, as I had no intention of taking any banned substances. I relied upon a medical professional for assistance and advice with respect to the supplements that I was taking. However, certain supplements I was taking were not on the NSF Certified for Sport list, and therefore, I assumed certain risks in taking them.

"When I learned that I had tested positive for Ipamorelin, I retained the services of private counsel and an independent chemist to determine the origin of the Ipamorelin test result because I never knowingly ingested Ipamorelin. After an extensive investigation by my lawyers and an independent chemist, it was concluded that the most likely source of Ipamorelin was a tainted supplement.

"I alone am responsible for what I put in my body, and therefore, I have decided for forgo my right to an appeal in this matter and accept the suspension. I apologize for any harm this has caused the Cleveland Indians, Indians' fans, my teammates, and most importantly, my family."

For what it is worth I think he was clean-ISH last year.

I do not know that I can say that about a player again. Especially one that was on the program to evade and got caught by paperwork and confession. Not testing. If anything, they know they won't get caught if they have the right circle of friends.

I have no evidence that anyone on the Red Sox is using PED's.

NONE.

That should be the end of the story, but it isn't, and its because players are getting busted with some regularity in MLB and the testing system remains very flawed and beatable.

I spoke last night to a person who was involved in the BALCO case and is a physician and he said the testing is much better than it has ever been, but it is still very much behind the chemistry of PED's.

There are numerous examples of PED's that can be ingested and show no trace in the body only hours after taking...and still give the human body a boost in performance and reaction time and explosiveness.

Gummies and wafers that can be taken in the early morning will not show up on any test.

I just know this.

David Ortiz is 40 years old. His bat speed is quicker, and his power is at least what it was in his heydey and maybe better than that.He is on pace for his best season in a decade.

Mookie Betts had 18 HR's last year with nearly 600 at bats. He has 14 in the first two months of this season. The fact that he has had 5 HR's in 2 games is a bit eye opening.

One can argue that Ted Williams hit .316 with 29 HR's t the age of 41.

But THATS Ted Williams.

I know one Boston writer who has a long history with Ortiz and he still wonders how he is doing what he is doing at 40.

I am not accusing anyone of doing anything. But it makes me wonder.

Im not a conspiracy person and dont look at everything as murky or sordid. But weve seen it and heard it before.

A reminder that MOST of the top hitters who were suspended in the past did NOT test positive but were exposed because someone else blew the whistle.

Nothing would surprise me anymore including players using and never being caught.

Again, Im not accusing, only wondering.

Well if 75% or more used to use some form of enhancement before the crackdown and people say it is around 40% now, I am sure some Red Sox players are doing something. Probably could say it about every team.

This has been in the back of my mind, too. A friend who watched Tuesday's game with me, told me that he sees no reason why about 6 of those Sox won't continue to rake all season. I told him I have my doubts and that I can't see them keeping up with the runs scored pace or all the mashing. I didn't bring up the PED suggestion, but something smells fishy. It seems unnatural.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know one Boston writer who has a long history with Ortiz and he still wonders how he is doing what he is doing at 40.

Dan Shaughnessy was ostracized a bit for questioning Ortiz before; of course with the "profile" comments Ortiz called his article offensive.

The narrative is easy. This is Ortiz's last year -- he's going out with a bang. Or forty bangs. He's not going to have to worry about testing after this season. People are going to ask him quite a bit about coming back, he will politely decline and ride into the sunset a Boston hero. Then the Hall of Fame talk will start. Those that bring up his suspicion will be met with ire by Ortiz fans and supporters of his speech after the Boston Marathon. Maybe he'll be on TV a lot, being gregarious. Big Papi, coming to a telecast near you.

The difference between Ortiz and Barry Bonds is, nobody liked Barry Bonds. It was easy for people to pile on him. Doesn't take long to find problems when you try hard.