Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I was told he hadn't even pitched since the end of March so that's why he was limited to just 2 IP and 34 pitches. I get them wanting to bring him along slowly and I get they need to monitor his innings and keep him around 100 this year, but I just think they are more worried about trying to use him this year in Baltimore instead of focusing on his long term development and that concerns me.

By the way, if I were in charge, I'd be giving him a 3 IP 50-pitch limit for the first five starts (15 IP) then I'm giving him five innings (80 pitches) for 10 starts (50) then 5-7 IP up to 95 pitches) for his remaining starts until he reaches 100-105 IP. This would gradually build him up and give him criteria to shoot for.

I agree with you that developing Harvey for the long run far outweighs trying to squeeze a few innings out of him at the major league level this year.     So, whatever accomplishes that goal is fine with me.   

One thing worth pointing out is that minor league pitchers generally don’t log that many innings per start.   Last year, for example, I think David Hess led the organization at 5.77 IP/start.  He was 2nd in the Eastern League in innings pitched.   I can think of many games when the Shorebirds yanked Alex Wells from games in which he was cruising and had low pitch counts, because they didn’t want him to exceed 140 IP, so he averaged 5.6 innings per start.   They even yanked him from a game where he pitched a 6-inning one-hitter and threw only 74 pitches, and a 6-inning three-hitter where he threw only 63 pitches   I don’t think they’ll want Harvey exceeding 6 innings very often, even if the governors are off by mid season.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree with you that developing Harvey for the long run far outweighs trying to squeeze a few innings out of him at the major league level this year.     So, whatever accomplishes that goal is fine with me.   

One thing worth pointing out is that minor league pitchers generally don’t log that many innings per start.   Last year, for example, I think David Hess led the organization at 5.77 IP/start.  He was 2nd in the Eastern League in innings pitched.   I can think of many games when the Shorebirds yanked Alex Wells from games in which he was cruising and had low pitch counts, because they didn’t want him to exceed 140 IP, so he averaged 5.6 innings per start.   They even yanked him from a game where he pitched a 6-inning one-hitter and threw only 74 pitches, and a 6-inning three-hitter where he threw only 63 pitches   I don’t think they’ll want Harvey exceeding 6 innings very often, even if the governors are off by mid season.  

Agreed. Hence why I said 5-7 innings or x number of pitches, whatever comes first.

I heard a podcast today about minor league opening assignments, and how the Blue Jays are handling some of their guys.  It reminded me of Miguel Castro and Roberto Osuna, guys who I see a little bit as Harvey's mid-case and best-case comps.  I get not best-best case, which would be Bundy's co-ace.

Castro opened 2015 as their closer after just 30 innings of full season experience in the low minors, and pretty quickly couldn't cut it.  Youth was on his side and he's pulled his career back together after some knocks.

Osuna was his developmental twin, also making the big league pen to open 2015 after just 7 starts and 22 IP in the Florida State League the previous year.  He's pitched 3 full seasons and never had a WHIP above 0.93.

However he gets his 90-100 innings this year, I think he's maxing out at a 5th starter's workload with September shutdown next year, and am curious to see where on the Castro to Osuna spectrum he'll fall.

o

Not a good Strikes-to-Balls ratio, although he did manage to keep the opponent off of the scoreboard (with some help from Matthew Damon Grimes, who inherited runners on 1st and 2nd base with only one out and promptly recorded 2 outs on 10 pitches to end the inning.)

7 OUTS: ) 2 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Groundout, 1 Lineout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. AA-Akron, 4/20)

IP:lll 2.33

H:lllll 2 )) (2 Singles)

R:lllll 0

BB:lll2

SO:lll1

Pitches: )l 55 (30 )Strikes, )25 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 2.08 )l(AA-Bowie))  4.33 IP  (1 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.385 )l(AA-Bowie) )  4.33 IP  (6 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .267  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (4 for 15)

PITCHES BY INNING

23 ll(16 llStrikes, llll71 llBalls)

20 ll(10 llStrikes, ll10 lllBalls)

12 ll(41 llStrikes, llll81 llBalls) ) *

* )) Harvey recorded 1 out before departing in the 3rd inning.

o

o

This was Harvey's longest outing of this still very-young season.

92% of the outs that he recorded (11 out of 12) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

12 OUTS: ) 6 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 1 Lineout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. AA-Akron, 4/27)

IP:l. 4

H:lllll 2 )) (2 Singles)

R:lllll 0

BB:lll1

SO:lll6

Pitches: )l 63 (40 )Strikes, )23 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 1.08 )l(AA-Bowie))  8.33 IP  (1 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.080 )l(AA-Bowie) )  8.33 IP  (9 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .207  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (6 for 29)

PITCHES BY INNING

20 lll(14 llStrikes, llllllllBalls)

15 lll(81 llStrikes, llllllllBalls)

14 lll(91 llStrikes, llllllllBalls)

14 lll(91 llStrikes, llllllllBalls)

o

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ballmer Bruce said:

I hope they continue to carefully manage innings of the Minor League pitches.  They are too valuable to risk.  I would not be opposed to giving  Harvey a few innings in Sept. if his innings are no too cumbersome.

I've wondered why we track the wear on an arm two different ways. In a game, we go by a pitch count, but in a season we go by innings. Shouldn't we use a pitch count for the entire season? 100 innings for one pitcher could mean a whole lot more pitches than another pitcher.

o

12 OUTS: ) 5 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. AA-Akron, 5/03)

IP:lll4

H:lllll 6 )) (2 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:lllll 4

BB:lll2

SO:lll2

Pitches: )l 69 (42 )Strikes, )27 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 3.65 )l(AA-Bowie))  12.33 IP  (5 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.379 )l(AA-Bowie) )  12.33 IP  (17 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .261  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (12 for 46)

PITCHES BY INNING

14 lll(10 llStrikes, llll41 llBalls)

20 lll(10 llStrikes, ll10 llllBalls)

25 lll(14 llStrikes, ll11 llllBalls)

10 lll(81 llStrikes, llll21lllBalls)

o