Zach Britton is bullying people on national television

Barnaby Graves

There have been a lot of great relievers reclaimed from the bin of failed starters, and I'm really enjoying this guy's metamorphosis. He threw an easy 98 MPH fastball tonight. And sat down the Rays 1-2-3 without a hiccup. What a luxury to go to the 9th inning with a lead every night and feel like the game is over. Not that Britton should be taken for granted, and I'm posting to remind myself of how rare it is that a guy pitches this well. And stuff like this doesn't last forever. I'm glad I get to enjoy it for however long that I can.

There have been a lot of great relievers reclaimed from the bin of failed starters, and I'm really enjoying this guy's metamorphosis. He threw an easy 98 MPH fastball tonight. And sat down the Rays 1-2-3 without a hiccup. What a luxury to go to the 9th inning with a lead every night and feel like the game is over. Not that Britton should be taken for granted, and I'm posting to remind myself of how rare it is that a guy pitches this well. And stuff like this doesn't last forever. I'm glad I get to enjoy it for however long that I can.

What do we do with him this winter? Extend him, pay him 10 M in arb or trade him?

What do we do with him this winter? Extend him, pay him 10 M in arb or trade him?

I kinda think you have to pay him. Unless we get some better starting pitching I think it's crucial to keep the bullpen as strong as possible.

Zach is a really good closer, but we have several other guys that could fill the role nearly as well.

I'm all for trading him after the season if we can get a good return. If not let him play out his contract and reap the benefits.

I would take a Craig Kimbrell package for him.

I liked the O'Day extension so I would be in favor of a Britton extension too. I think he's at the right age and if O'Day can be had for 4/31, then given Britton's age and salary schedule I'd offer 4/36. What would you do?

The O'Day contract: Does it imply we'll try to keep him long-term or will the FO take it as a warning not to?

I liked the O'Day extension so I would be in favor of a Britton extension too. I think he's at the right age and if O'Day can be had for 4/31, then given Britton's age and salary schedule I'd offer 4/36. What would you do?

4/36 doesn't get it done. He's got two more cracks at arbitration and he is already making 6.75M.

I say we keep him as long as he's in arbitration. Once he becomes a free agent I don't think we'll be able to afford him if we want to also sign people like Manny, Schoop and a good starter. No point in trying to lock up Britton for a guaranteed 1 inning shutout when our rotation is a gigantic question mark, and our infield would be half of a question mark if we allow Manny and Schoop to walk when they are free agents.

And Hardy could get hurt, so then we'd only have a guaranteed Chris Davis at first as a plus defender, assuming we let Manny and Schoop go.

So yeah, use as little money as possible on other pieces besides Manny, Schoop and a pitcher, until we get those three pieces locked down.

... Unless you want to go the OTHER way (the way that admits we are a mid-market team and simply can't afford to pay top tier free agents), and trade Manny/Schoop or let them walk when they're free agents, and spend that money on less expensive bodies like a great closer, and hope we can continue to grow productive infielders through our farm system (which has admittedly been rather good) or get cheap prospects from other teams that turn out to be stars.

In that case, the cost of a closer for 4 or 5 years should be peanuts compared to what Manny / Schoop / a good starter would ask for. And you could afford the closer.

Zach is a really good closer, but we have several other guys that could fill the role nearly as well.

I'm all for trading him after the season if we can get a good return. If not let him play out his contract and reap the benefits.

I would take a Craig Kimbrell package for him.

I think the best course of action is to do nothing until July, 2018. Why not just keep him and reap the benefits of the glorious prime of this special player? We have him through his age 30 season. If we are sellers in July, 2018, he'll still fetch a good haul. If we are contending, I'd sure like to have him on our side.

If the Os continue to rely on a shutdown bullpen because starters are too pricey, who better to anchor that?

You really can't go wrong going year to year with a closer like Britton. Pay him his arb # and take your chances signing him later. And if a trade offer comes up that's too good to refuse in the next two years, you have to at least consider it. But you're less likely to get that kind of offer if you've guaranteed the guy 50+ million.

Bullying people on TV?

Bullying people on TV?

Archived