Ben McDonald

accinfo

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Gary is MLB's closest thing to Gus Johnson

26 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Gary gets fooled by routine flies quite often too.

If I was throwing back a few during a broadcast I would probably be mistaking a lot of deep flies for home runs. Been a huge fan of Thorne going back to when he did baseball on espn and hockey for ABC. Not even a hockey fan but would catch some of the playoff games he broadcasted for the entertainment factor. He would take the game up a few more notches.

Regarding Ben McDonald he's awesome. He does work with espn for college baseball and I wish he would get promoted to the Sunday night baseball crew. Bump Aaron Boone out and put in McDonald. Boone has to be the most boring commentator I've ever heard in my life. Much worse than FP.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Much better on television than on radio.  On radio he does what seemingly every single color guy for the Orioles is doing, talking over the action.  Dave Johnson might be the biggest offender.  I can’t believe no one tells them you have to keep your points short and give breaks to the play by play personnel so he can update the action.  It makes listening to games now very frustrating.  But Ben on television is a natural.

• Upvote 1

o

3 years before the Jeffrey Meier incident, the Yankees got away with the same tactic, this time with Ben McDonald on the mound.

During the 1993 pennant race, Ben McDonald was going to-to-toe with the Scott Kamieniecki in a 0-0 pitcher's duel in the bottom of the 8th inning. With Don Mattingly at the plate and the bases empty, a 16 year-old Yankee fan from Connecticut named Tim McKenzie stole a home run in the right-field stands from Mark McLemore.

Like Jeffrey Maier 3 years later, McKenzie reached over the railing to snatch the ball away from McLemore.

In a post-game interview immediately following the game, Mattingly said that the kid "made a great catch" when he was shown a replay of the theft. Also, Mattingly met and shook hands with the McKenzie in the bowels of Yankee Stadium the next day.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1916&dat=19930817&id=AQYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Z3YFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1607,2158095

In the photo, it states:

A GIFT: - Don Mattingly, left, shakes hands with Tim McKenzie at Yankee Stadium on Monday, prior to autographing the baseball that McKenzie is holding. The 16 year-old Durham, CT resident caught the ball over the railing, but Mattingly was given a home run in the Yankees' 1-0 win over the Orioles.

For his efforts, McDonald was credited with a complete-game loss, ceding that lone run in his 8 innings on the mound that afternoon.

o

• 4 weeks later...