Mancini talk, 2017

weams

12 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah but they don't play the Orioles for a while so that won't last How  is this for a comparison  if you take out his numbers vs the Orioles the worst pitching in baseball.

Trey  184 AB .310 average 11 2B 12HR  38RBI

Judge  196AB  .306average  7 2B 15HR  37 RBI

The awful Orioles pitching is the reason he is not neck and neck with Judge and of course NY media bias.

While I'm the first to agree that the NY media overhype the NY players, you really can't overhype what Judge has done so far.     But let's see how the remaining 60% of the season goes.    

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Do they give these awards based on the first 68 games of the season, or do they actually make them play the rest of the season?   If the latter, I'd wait before assuming Judge will continue at his current pace or anything close.   I think he's highly likely to be ROY, but it's way too early to start awarding him the MVP.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2558786-shane-spencers-legendary-breakout-sparked-on-and-off-field-mlb-rollercoaster

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While I'm the first to agree that the NY media overhype the NY players, you really can't overhype what Judge has done so far.     But let's see how the remaining 60% of the season goes.    

No doubt he is playing great just saying he has been helped by the fact that we have horrible pitching that has really inflated some numbers.  The same thing last year with Mookie Betts he almost one the MVP because of his numbers vs us.

10 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

No doubt he is playing great just saying he has been helped by the fact that we have horrible pitching that has really inflated some numbers.  The same thing last year with Mookie Betts he almost one the MVP because of his numbers vs us.

Well, all the games count.    It's not like his numbers against all other teams are mediocre.   You could turn it around and say that if it weren't for Judge, we'd have a winning record against NY (as it is, we're 5-7).

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah but they don't play the Orioles for a while so that won't last How  is this for a comparison  if you take out his numbers vs the Orioles the worst pitching in baseball.

Trey  184 AB .310 average 11 2B 12HR  38RBI

Judge  196AB  .306average  7 2B 15HR  37 RBI

The awful Orioles pitching is the reason he is not neck and neck with Judge and of course NY media bias.

First off, this is an absurd thing to do. His numbers against the Orioles shouldn't be discounted. Nevertheless, if you take out his numbers against the Orioles:

Mancini: 

.310/.352/.576 (.928 OPS)

Judge: 

.306/.409/.602 (1.011 OPS)

That's 57 points of OBP and 83 points of OPS difference between them. That's not exactly neck and neck. 

Is Judge getting jammed down our throats because he plays for the Yankees? Sure, but it's also because he's young, playing better than anybody else in the league right now, and hitting the ball the way Stanton does. It's awe-inspiring, and he's worthy of the praise he receives. 

Mancini looks like he has a good plan at the plate.  He and Kim are the two best at it.  Kim just doesn't have the bat speed or power that Trey does.  

I've been surprised with Mancini's athleticism.  Coming up through the system it was like he was some lumbering goon that was uncoordinated.  He was just supposed to be a platoon DH.  This guy is playing a good 1st base and has been passable in LF.  I just think he lacks arm strength.  

If only we just would have left CD walk and allow Mancini to be full time 1B. It is so nice to watch someone at the plate that has a clue and just isn't up there hacking. Will he be able to maintain this high level of hitting? Maybe not but I'll gladly take something close to it. I'll give up the arm strength for a professional hitter. 

5 hours ago, MDK02 said:

If only we just would have left CD walk and allow Mancini to be full time 1B. It is so nice to watch someone at the plate that has a clue and just isn't up there hacking. Will he be able to maintain this high level of hitting? Maybe not but I'll gladly take something close to it. I'll give up the arm strength for a professional hitter. 

He was a year away at that point.   I'm not saying I'm in favor of the CD deal.   But much more realistically, we could have let Trumbo walk this past offseason and handed Trey the DH job.   That is exactly what I thought we were going to do, and I liked the idea.

42 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He was a year away at that point.   I'm not saying I'm in favor of the CD deal.   But much more realistically, we could have let Trumbo walk this past offseason and handed Trey the DH job.   That is exactly what I thought we were going to do, and I liked the idea.

Or let Davis walk for a pick, put Trumbo at first then let Trumbo walk for a pick to make room for Mancini.

Archived