Mancini talk, 2017

weams

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And his ability to play outfield. That to me is the bigger miss.

Yes, that is an excellent point. They should have had him out there in the minors. He appears to be (I can only go by the "eye test") more athletic and capable than Trumbo.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

That surprises me. I thought the normal way to do business in baseball is to properly identify your prospects and then be sure to NOT block them. Then in turn take that money and put it towards starting pitching, Manny or something like that. I would contend that the failure regarding Mancini is that they simply miscalculated how he would perform in the bigs. And this appears to be a serious problem for the organization. 

I agree they miscalculated Mancini's abilities.    Well, better to have underrated him than to have overrated him, I suppose.    I don't think it's always that easy to forecast which minor leaguers will have success in the majors.    It's not like Mancini was on any top 100 lists.    He was underrated pretty much universally.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree they miscalculated Mancini's abilities.    Well, better to have underrated him than to have overrated him, I suppose.    I don't think it's always that easy to forecast which minor leaguers will have success in the majors.    It's not like Mancini was on any top 100 lists.    He was underrated pretty much universally.

And ironically, the knock on him from the scouting world was always that he had a slow bat that wouldn't be able to play against quality MLB fastballs.  Which just goes to show that youneverknow how players will develop.  Of course he could join a long line of players who started great and faded quickly, but he's certainly impressed so far.  A very close friend mine is very involved with the ND baseball program and has said that Mancini's one of the best people he's ever worked with.

23 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

And this appears to be a serious problem for the organization. 

It is and has been for a while. Yes, "can't miss" prospects like Machado and Weiters are great to have in a system, but finding those other ones are important. I believe there are several MLB potential players in the Orioles system that could contribute, but probably won't ever get the chance (atleast with the Orioles) due to some inability in the organization to properly help develop them.

19 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I wonder if Sisco will follow suit?

He's going to hit for average -- book it.     Whether he can stick at catcher is unclear to me, but count me as pessimistic on that front.   

13 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If it wasn't for unfrozen caveman baseball player in the Bronx, Mancini would have a shot at rookie of the year.  Still might, a lot of baseball left to be played. 

I'm just a simple caveman, I'm unfamiliar with your complicated saber metrics. 

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

And ironically, the knock on him from the scouting world was always that he had a slow bat that wouldn't be able to play against quality MLB fastballs.  Which just goes to show that youneverknow how players will develop.  Of course he could join a long line of players who started great and faded quickly, but he's certainly impressed so far.  A very close friend mine is very involved with the ND baseball program and has said that Mancini's one of the best people he's ever worked with.

Mancini looks to have the fastest bat on the team, he can turn on an inside pitch better then any other Oriole. If I get time I'm going to look up a scouting report on Trey, curious to see the full write up.     

2 hours ago, osfan83 said:

I'm just a simple caveman, I'm unfamiliar with your complicated saber metrics. 

Maybe I don't know how calculate VORP or explain a pitcher's WHIP.  And when I see myself on the jumbotron, I get scared and think have the spirits captured my soul.  But what I do know is how mash 500 foot home runs and lead the league in runs batted in.    

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

He's going to hit for average -- book it.     Whether he can stick at catcher is unclear to me, but count me as pessimistic on that front.   

He doesn't seem to have much power.  So what do you do with a guy at the MLB if he can't man the catcher position, doesn't hit for power, but can hit for a decent average?  Sounds like a solid bench player to me, or maybe a DH.  Where else would you put him?

16 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Much easier to just trade Manny for there top two prospect plus some lesser ones. Their SP doesn't llook that good to me after Sale and EdRod. They don't need Davis.

Much easier to trade Manny to them?  Maybe, but only if the Red Sox were willing to give up the farm for the most disappointing hitter in 2017, and only if the O's were willing to trade him.  The Red Sox need a big home run hitter as much as any team in the league.  Davis might not be that guy, but all you have to do is look at their numbers to determine their struggles this year are mainly because they are not hitting for any power.  Davis, for all his flaws, is having a better year than Hanley Ramirez, and he is definitely having a better year than any of their third basemen -- a position Davis can also play.

As far as their starting pitching is concerned, I can't see the Red Sox bumping any of their starters except Fister, and he'll get bumped any way when ERod gets back.  The Red Sox have gotta believe Price, Porcello and Pomweranz will improve.  They've all had their struggles but none have been that bad.

58 minutes ago, esmd said:

He doesn't seem to have much power.  So what do you do with a guy at the MLB if he can't man the catcher position, doesn't hit for power, but can hit for a decent average?  Sounds like a solid bench player to me, or maybe a DH.  Where else would you put him?

Power can be slow to develop.

He does have some raw power.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/188659034/v920516783

Not sure why you are projecting him to have a "decent" average?  If he can get on base than I would play him in the middle infield, the outfield, third base...

Remember teams other than the Orioles value the ability to avoid making outs.

It is kind of crazy Mancini get's no attention from the national media. I'm not expecting Judge level coverage but even on national TV the announcers are just like "Here comes Trey Mancini who is having  a solid year" and that's that. 

Archived