'If' We Trade Bedard

Greg Pappas

And your "guarantee" about more teams being in on Bedard is just more 100% unfounded speculation and orange-tinted wishful thinking that you're trying to pass off as gospel truth.

If we trade him at the deadline, there most likely will be more teams interested. The simple reasoning is that right now, the only way to add another pitcher is to trade for them. In the offseason, you can use talent or money to get pitchers. Some teams choose talent, some choose money, but right now, they all would have to choose talent.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we trade him at the deadline, there most likely will be more teams interested. The simple reasoning is that right now, the only way to add another pitcher is to trade for them. In the offseason, you can use talent or money to get pitchers. Some teams choose talent, some choose money, but right now, they all would have to choose talent.

That's a fair point, but the counterpoint is that there's only one way to get a talent like Mulder or Bedard at a reasonable salary, and that's by trading for him.

The majority of teams won't pay Zito/Hampton free agent prices, including the Cards.

So you think Beane made one of his most valuable players available, but didn't bother to tell anyone, and just took the first offer he got?

You can't possibly believe that.

And your "guarantee" about more teams being in on Bedard is just more 100% unfounded speculation and orange-tinted wishful thinking, with no supporting evidence nor any basis in fact.

The trade came as a shock..No one saw it coming. I think i even recall reading GMs say they were surrpised by the move.

Noentheless, more teams will be in on it for Bedard, if we make him available(which i doubt we do).

So you think Beane made one of his most valuable players available, but didn't bother to tell anyone, and just took the first offer he got.

You can't possibly believe that.

And your "guarantee" about more teams being in on Bedard is just more 100% unfounded speculation and orange-tinted wishful thinking that you're trying to pass off as gospel truth.

I do think more teams could be in or Bedard just for the simple fact that more teams will be in the hunt around the deadline and pitching is at a premium.

Just wishful thinking, but it makes me feel good. :D

From an ESPN article:

Mulder (17-8) pitched so poorly during the playoff push, the A's briefly considered skipping his turn and using September callup Joe Blanton during the final weekend against Anaheim. Mulder did get the call, but was knocked out after two innings, his shortest outing of the season -- and the A's wound up missing the playoffs for the first time in five years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1949157

Boston globe article mentioning his drop in velocity:

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2004/12/19/cardinals_acquire_mulder/

Archived