O's Trade Gallardo for Seth Smith

LookinUp

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I certainly don't think this is a "great" move. Its somewhat of a cash dump. Both players are aging and mediocre and FA at the end of the year. Seth Smith is not a major piece and Im hoping this means that Duke will try and sign Trumbo using the extra money he saved in the Smith deal. Gallardo is a decent #5 or#6 and we don't have a ton of ML ready pitchers. I hope Duquette has something up his sleeve.

At this point he's just putting out the fires he created, which is something at least. 

I think at the very least this move effectively ends the Pedro Alvarez era in Charm City.

Smith will need a platoon partner, and Kim might ultimately need one too, so I can't really see DD bringing back another guy in Pedro that absolutely requires platoon deployment, so I think that leaves Trumbo and Carter as the most logical remaining full time DH solutions. Or they could sign Pagan to play OF full time and use Kim as part of a DH platoon with Mancini.

Either way, Pedro no longer makes much sense for us.

6 hours ago, health55 said:

FOX columnist Ken Rosenthal offered his take on Seattle's trades on Friday:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/seattle-mariners-jerry-dipoto-trades-robinson-cano-nelson-cruz-010917-010917

Dipoto is right about needed better OF defense for their ball park.  They definitely have that now.  Segura for Walker was an interesting trade - I'd be wary of his big season last year, it seems out of place for him.

I'm still concerned about their bench/depth both pitching and hitting.  They should still be looking to add.

2 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Dipoto is right about needed better OF defense for their ball park.  They definitely have that now.  Segura for Walker was an interesting trade - I'd be wary of his big season last year, it seems out of place for him.

I'm still concerned about their bench/depth both pitching and hitting.  They should still be looking to add.

Perhaps not surprisingly, a Seattle blogger offers a somewhat positive spin on Yovani Gallardo:

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2017/1/9/14207864/what-went-wrong-for-yovani-gallardo-in-2016

On 1/8/2017 at 8:58 AM, birdwatcher55 said:

Excluding the Orioles, what are his numbers against AL East competition last year. I know he killed us.

Smith in 2016:

vs. Red Sox: 3-for-9 with a double

vs. Yankees: 4-for-14 with two doubles and an RBI

vs. Blue Jays: 2-for-14 with a double and two RBIs

vs. Rays: 2-for-9 with a double and two RBIs

The Orioles were the only AL East team that Smith homered against -- and he hit four of them (in four consecutive games).

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This seems to be an overly negative piece, IMO.  They seem to be weighing the acquisition of Gallardo last year as being included in this trade.  To me, in making an assessment of this trade, how the player you are trading away was acquired is quite irrelevant.  It is a positive point to this particular trade, IMO, that the Gallardo contract is being unloaded.  Whether or not Gallardo should have ever been signed to that contract in the first place certainly makes for a good discussion, but this trade should be judged on its own merits.  The fact was, at the time of this trade, Gallardo was undeniably under contract to the Orioles.  They also say that Smith brings only one thing to the table, hitting RHP well.  Yet, even in their own negative piece, they acknowledge that he brings a decent OBP, which the team sorely needed.  The Orioles needed a LH bat, a right fielder, and improved OBP.  Smith does all three at an affordable price.  At the very end of the piece, they even seem to overlook the fact that the Orioles have five other projected SP for their rotation as it stands.  I'm really unimpressed with this write-up of the trade, frankly.

Archived