O's Trade Gallardo for Seth Smith

LookinUp

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

Crap, I forgot about those guys. Why did we draft them again? Made zero sense to me at the time.

We should be taking flyers on pitchers...not OFers...

Before this trade, we had exactly 1 spot in the Rotation+Bullpen that wasn't yet accounted for. Filling that with a mandatory rule 5 isn't very smart. Now they have 2 spots so it's a little easier to bury a guy but still.

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

It could be that the O's are quietly moving on from Trumbo and that Smith is actually destined to split DH with Mancini.

I think that is what we should do. Keep the pick and sign a couple of other guys for much cheaper.

Focus on SP-ing. That's the key.

1 minute ago, isestrex said:

Before this trade, we had exactly 1 spot in the Rotation+Bullpen that wasn't yet accounted for. Filling that with a mandatory rule 5 isn't very smart. Now they have 2 spots so it's a little easier to bury a guy but still.

Good points. Extra spot if Brach is traded....

Love this move. I still want Angel Pagan for RF and want to use Kim and Smith primarily as DH and LF against RHP. Then you can go with Mancini as the DH vs. LHP and try to sprinkle in more at bats as the season progresses (injuries will allow that). You could then use Rickard as the LF vs. LHP or go out and get another platoon bat. R.Davis now would've been perfect, but likely too pricey for the weak side of the the platoon. 

1. RF- Angel Pagan (R)

2. LF- Hyun-Soo Kim (L)

3. 3B- Manny Machado (R)

4. CF- Adam Jones (R)

5. 1B- Chris Davis (L)

6. 2B- Jonathan Schoop (R)

7. LF- Seth Smith (L)

8. C- Welington Castillo

9. SS- J.J. Hardy (R)

That's not a bad lineup and it's certainly very doable. I'm not sure about Pagan in RF, but even if his arm is weak for the position, he'll get to more balls than Trumbo. 

4 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

It could be that the O's are quietly moving on from Trumbo and that Smith is actually destined to split DH with Mancini.

Possible.  I want to say that Smith is a little better than Kim in left but it's probably close.  

I don't discount that Gallardo could bounce back and have a good year.   Too many people are dismissing that possibility.    But we had an extra starter and had to pick one to jettison, and we needed an OF who could post a good OBP, so this is a good deal for us.   

Archived