Thank You, Mark Daniel Trumbo

OFFNY

o

(AUGUST 29th)

Trumbo finished his 2018 season leading the team in OPS (.764) ........ it was as high as .790 on August 11th before he cooled off while he was playing through a serious knee injury in his final week of the season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=trumbma01&t=b&year=2018

Only the now-departed Manny Machado had a higher OPS for the season as an Oriole regular.

o

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2018 at 7:08 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(AUGUST 29th)

Trumbo finished his 2018 season leading the team in OPS (.764) ........ it was as high as .790 on August 11th before he cooled off while he was playing through a serious knee injury in his final week of the season.

Only the now-departed Manny Machado had a higher OPS for the season as an Oriole regular.

o

Yeah, Trumbo wasn’t too awful this season when he was healthy.   Nothing great, but pretty much career average Mark Trumbo.   

o

(AUGUST 29th)

o

Villar is at .765. Mancini or Jones could get hot.

Trumbo is not a terrible hitter, just not good enough to make up for the awful defense, and he is a terrible fit with Davis and Mancini both on the roster. What makes his contact terrible is not so much his production but the fact that we already had Mancini who seemed capable of at least similar production at a fraction of the cost. Mancini was a risk at the time but much less downside than a three year contract to a DH.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Trumbo is not a terrible hitter, just not good enough to make up for the awful defense, and he is a terrible fit with Davis and Mancini both on the roster. What makes his contact terrible is not so much his production but the fact that we already had Mancini who seemed capable of at least similar production at a fraction of the cost. Mancini was a risk at the time but much less downside than a three year contract to a DH.

But a DH who had just led the majors in home runs and came through repeatedly in the clutch. Of course, you'll recall that the "terrible fit" was not one that Duquette could have foreseen. Trumbo was originally signed with the legit assumption that Davis wouldn't be returning; he was going to be the first baseman, not terrible rightfielder.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LA2 said:

But a DH who had just led the majors in home runs and came through repeatedly in the clutch. Of course, you'll recall that the "terrible fit" was not one that Duquette could have foreseen. Trumbo was originally signed with the legit assumption that Davis wouldn't be returning; he was going to be the first baseman, not terrible rightfielder.

I dont think this is accurate.  Tumbo was traded for in December of 2015 when it appeared the Orioles could "lose" Davis as a FA.  He was on his last arb year and cost about $9MM.  

Then after this heads up move, the Orioles announced in Jan of 2016, that they had resigned Chris Davis for 7 yrs.  Of course, this move was widely believed to be done without DD.

It was not until AFTER his one year deal where he had excelled at the plate for the Orioles that he was extended with a 3 yr deal  This occurred in January of 2017.

In hind site the Original trade FOR Trumbo in 2015 looks brilliant.  The signings of Davis in 16 and the subsequent extension of Trumbo....not so much.

Eitherway, by the time he was resigned, his only position was DH or RF unless he was going to spell Davis.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-trade-for-mariners-mark-trumbo/c-158603368

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/orioles-to-sign-mark-trumbo.html

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/orioles-to-re-sign-chris-davis.html

o

(AUGUST 29th)

o

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

o

Villar has played 26 games as an Oriole. That would not gauge him as a season regular in the context of my comment, even though he is now a starter who is in the lineup almost every game.

And as LA2 stated, he led the Majors in home runs just prior to his extension. It's not his fault that the Orioles wound up constructing a roster that was too DH-heavy. It is mildly reminiscent of when the Orioles signed Vladimir Guerrero to a one-year contract for $8 Million prior to the 2011 season whey they already had Luke Scott, Felix Pie, and Nolan Reimold on the roster. I would have been OK with the signing of Guerrero  if they had traded Luke Scott, but they didn't, and subsequently wound up a team/roster that was too DH-heavy. Similarly, I would have been OK with Trumbo's extension if they had not already signed Chris Davis to a long-term extension, but they did. 

If the Orioles could have a "do-over" and choose one of the two contracts (Davis or Trumbo) that they could take back, it is obvious which one that they would undo.

o

3 hours ago, foxfield said:

I dont think this is accurate.  Tumbo was traded for in December of 2015 when it appeared the Orioles could "lose" Davis as a FA.  He was on his last arb year and cost about $9MM.  

Then after this heads up move, the Orioles announced in Jan of 2016, that they had resigned Chris Davis for 7 yrs.  Of course, this move was widely believed to be done without DD.

It was not until AFTER his one year deal where he had excelled at the plate for the Orioles that he was extended with a 3 yr deal  This occurred in January of 2017.

In hind site the Original trade FOR Trumbo in 2015 looks brilliant.  The signings of Davis in 16 and the subsequent extension of Trumbo....not so much.

Eitherway, by the time he was resigned, his only position was DH or RF unless he was going to spell Davis.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-trade-for-mariners-mark-trumbo/c-158603368

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/orioles-to-sign-mark-trumbo.html

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/orioles-to-re-sign-chris-davis.html

We are in agreement. You may have misread my post or I wasn't clear enough:

1. Trumbo was signed to make up for the likely loss of Davis;

2. Trumbo had a great 2016 and was resigned regardless of whether Davis was going to be on the team or not.

The same facts have been gone over so many times that it wasn't necessary to mention them yet again. I very much regret doing so. I very much regret motivating you to do so much research and citation on an uncontested matter.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, LA2 said:

We are in agreement. You may have misread my post or I wasn't clear enough:

1. Trumbo was acquired by trade to make up for the likely loss of Davis;

2. Trumbo had a great 2016 and was resigned regardless of whether Davis was going to be on the team or not.

The same facts have been gone over so many times that it wasn't necessary to mention them yet again. I very much regret doing so. I very much regret motivating you to do so much research and citation on an uncontested matter.

Yes

• 8 months later...

Well, sounds like he's determined to make a comeback.  Assuming he does, and it sounds like it might still not be for awhile...puts a big hinderance on any sort of roster flexibility that the Orioles currently have.

Means that Nunez gets more time at 3rd because he can't DH since Trumbo will be there.  And it means that Mancini is going to get more time in RF because they need his bat in the lineup.  So the team defense is weak in two positions because Trumbo's gotta DH.

Davis, who is suddenly having a resurgence, is entrenched at first.  And if he can continue his .900 OPS average, that's not terrible.  Still, on days where you sit Davis, Mancini is at first, Nunez is at 3rd and Trumbo at DH.  Or Ruiz at 3rd.

Whatever, the point I'm making is that Trumbo coming back makes the roster harder to navigate and potentially blocks the callup of a Diaz, Stewart, Santander or any other minor league outfielder we'd like to see.  

I see no reason to let Trumbo suit up again for the ML team.  Let him rehab all he wants in the minors so he can showcase himself to other teams.  He isn't needed on this team and there is zero chance the O's can get any sort of salary relief for him past another team picking him up for the league minimum.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, sounds like he's determined to make a comeback.  Assuming he does, and it sounds like it might still not be for awhile...puts a big hinderance on any sort of roster flexibility that the Orioles currently have.

Means that Nunez gets more time at 3rd because he can't DH since Trumbo will be there.  And it means that Mancini is going to get more time in RF because they need his bat in the lineup.  So the team defense is weak in two positions because Trumbo's gotta DH.

Davis, who is suddenly having a resurgence, is entrenched at first.  And if he can continue his .900 OPS average, that's not terrible.  Still, on days where you sit Davis, Mancini is at first, Nunez is at 3rd and Trumbo at DH.  Or Ruiz at 3rd.

Whatever, the point I'm making is that Trumbo coming back makes the roster harder to navigate and potentially blocks the callup of a Diaz, Stewart, Santander or any other minor league outfielder we'd like to see.  

Got to bite the bullet and cut him.  Say he comes back in July they'll owe him about 7 million.  If they were willing to eat Cashner's 8 million in spring training to trade him like mlb trade rumors reported I don't see why they wouldn't just cut Trumbo.  He's more trouble roster wise then he's worth.  And its not like he'll have trade value, even if he was healthy.  Right handed DH's are a dime a dozen.