Thank You, Mark Daniel Trumbo

OFFNY

Assuming there's no way you can get anything for him prior to August 30, then you cut him. I bet they give it until almost that time though. Because of his salary, he'll clear waivers so he has an extra month to produce. On the bright side, there actually is a rationale to cut him. The reason is to let him have a chance to sign with a contender who won't otherwise trade for him. It would be a nice thing to do.

I do think that there's a chance that the lack of roster flexibility actually aligns with Elias' plans. It holds people back (service time) and likely contributes to a worse record (draft slot). I hate to be cynical, but a cold, calculated front office is likely valuing those things more than how much a player can develop in 1-2 months of ML time when you really won't even cash in on that development for another couple of years anyway.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Assuming there's no way you can get anything for him prior to August 30, then you cut him. I bet they give it until almost that time though. Because of his salary, he'll clear waivers so he has an extra month to produce. On the bright side, there actually is a rationale to cut him. The reason is to let him have a chance to sign with a contender who won't otherwise trade for him. It would be a nice thing to do.

I do think that there's a chance that the lack of roster flexibility actually aligns with Elias' plans. It holds people back (service time) and likely contributes to a worse record (draft slot). I hate to be cynical, but a cold, calculated front office is likely valuing those things more than how much a player can develop in 1-2 months of ML time when you really won't even cash in on that development for another couple of years anyway.

You mean July 31st right?

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Would you rather see Trumbo or Stewart?  I'm not a big Stewart fan either but at least he's got some upside.

Trumbo.

I think Stewart would be the fourth outfielder in Norfolk if Hays and Diaz could stay healthy. I guess Stewart deserves credit for being there, but I've seen him play in Louisville and just haven't been impressed. He is pretty athletic for his girth and can run into one on occasion, but I doubt he ever touches what Trumbo did during his good years.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No. That's the non waiver trade deadline. After that date, teams can put all players through waivers. If they're not claimed (which entails someone taking the contract), you have until the end of August to trade the player and for them to be eligible for the post season.

Nobody will claim Trumbo, so we're likely stuck with him through August at least.

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Trumbo.

I think Stewart would be the fourth outfielder in Norfolk if Hays and Diaz could stay healthy. I guess Stewart deserves credit for being there, but I've seen him play in Louisville and just haven't been impressed. He is pretty athletic for his girth and can run into one on occasion, but I doubt he ever touches what Trumbo did during his good years.

Here is a fun question, who accumulated more rWAR last year, Trumbo or Stewart?

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Trumbo.

Ok, well...

Considering Trumbo is a FA after this year, not likely to come back...whereas Stewart can run into one on occasion, has a really happy looking face and is pretty athletic for his girth...who would you rather see?

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

No. That's the non waiver trade deadline. After that date, teams can put all players through waivers. If they're not claimed (which entails someone taking the contract), you have until the end of August to trade the player and for them to be eligible for the post season.

Nobody will claim Trumbo, so we're likely stuck with him through August at least.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I believe waiver deals ahve been eliminated this year.   July 31 is a rock hard trade deadline.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok, well...

Considering Trumbo is a FA after this year, not likely to come back...whereas Stewart can run into one on occasion, has a really happy looking face and is pretty athletic for his girth...who would you rather see?

I see your point, but I can wait until September to see Stewart again. I'd rather see Mullins, or even McKenna.

No, saw enough of Tillman, but he was pretty good for a few years - good trade for us.

I just don't think Stewart will ever be close to what Trumbo was. I wouldn't mind seeing Trumbo again for a few weeks, even if the odds are against him getting back to his good days. It's not like he's got several more years on his contract like Davis.