Dylan Bundy 2017

Frobby

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I couldn't care less about his velocity, except to the extent it signifies health.    He's been incredibly effective all year no matter what his fastball was doing.    He's a dominant pitcher.   

11 outings, 10 quality starts and he's gone 6+ every time out.    That's better than I would have dreamed possible going into the season.  

I care about his velocity to the extent that unless his K rate improves it will be difficult for him to maintain a sub-3 ERA. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I care about his velocity to the extent that unless his K rate improves it will be difficult for him to maintain a sub-3 ERA. 

Difficult possibly but not impossible.

Jeff D'Amico       2000       MIL

Roy Halladay      2002       TOR

Tim Hudson        2002       OAK

Bartolo Colon     2002       TOT

Derek Lowe        2002       BOS

Tom Glavine       2002       ATL

Greg Maddux    2002       ATL

Tim Hudson        2003       OAK

Jair Jurrjens        2009       ATL

Tim Hudson        2010       ATL

Clay Buchholz    2010       BOS

Trevor Cahill       2010       OAK

R.A. Dickey         2010       NYM

Doug Fister         2011       TOT

Jeremy Hellickson            2011       TBR

Kyle Lohse          2012       STL

Bartolo Colon     2013       OAK

Tanner Roark     2014       WSN

Henderson Alvarez         2014       MIA

Doug Fister         2014       WSN

All these pitchers maintained an ERA of below 2.99 and had a K/9 of 6.4 or less.

He really got stronger as the game went on. At the start of the game, his 4 seamer didn't have much velocity and his changeup was hanging. He got away with a few hanging sliders, too.

Got stronger as the game went on. I didn't like the Judge 3-2 2 seamer....Judge can't his sliders/changeups out of the zone. And that 2 seamer was not only in a poor spot (pretty much belt high...right down the pipe)...but why give him something to hit?

Either way, nice for him to go 7 strong against a strong lineup.

41 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

He really got stronger as the game went on. At the start of the game, his 4 seamer didn't have much velocity and his changeup was hanging. He got away with a few hanging sliders, too.

Got stronger as the game went on. I didn't like the Judge 3-2 2 seamer....Judge can't his sliders/changeups out of the zone. And that 2 seamer was not only in a poor spot (pretty much belt high...right down the pipe)...but why give him something to hit?

I agree, everything offspeed was hanging up early on. I was surprised the vaunted Yankees weren't on them. But later on he looked nasty. The pitch to Judge is more a reflection of the zone Judge is in than of Bundy I think.

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Shrug.    I don't know if his ERA will stay below 3.00, but I know a pitcher who's in control of what he's doing when I see one.    This kid has a devastating repertoire, commands the baseball and knows how to change speeds and mix his pitches.     Unless his arm starts to bother him, he's on his way to one hell of a season.    

I have gotten tired of people who focus on velocity and strikeouts when looking at pitchers. And I very much once belonged to that camp. But I think that obsession has really fed the epidemic of arm injuries that we've seen over the last decade or so. Bundy looks to me like a guy who knows how to pitch, how to change speeds and induce weak contact. (I missed the first few innings of today's start so I didn't see the hanging stuff early in the game.) He's fast becoming my favorite player on the team. If I were to tear down the Orioles and rebuild, he's the only guy on the 25-man roster I wouldn't trade. 

9 minutes ago, crawjo said:

He's fast becoming my favorite player on the team. If I were to tear down the Orioles and rebuild, he's the only guy on the 25-man roster I wouldn't trade. 

His starts are must-see TV for me.    

3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Judge was struck out two pitches before that. I am okay with that particular at-bat and pitch. You have a two-run lead and you don't want to give up the BB with no one out. This is what gets big innings started. You don't want to give up a hit either, but in that situation, he was right to attack the zone.

6 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Judge was struck out two pitches before that. I am okay with that particular at-bat and pitch. You have a two-run lead and you don't want to give up the BB with no one out. This is what gets big innings started. You don't want to give up a hit either, but in that situation, he was right to attack the zone.

No question Judge could have been called out on the "check swing."    But that happens -- it happened with Trumbo later in the game.    But the pitch Bundy hit for a homer clearly wasn't where Bundy wanted it, going by Bundy's postgame interviews.   To his credit, Bundy deflected the question about the call by faulting the HR pitch.   

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Dylan is the only Oriole having an All-Star season.  And I think he will be the O's representative at the AS game unless he is hurt.

Right now he should be but as we all know from the dark years when your team only gets the mandatory representative slot that it can come down to roster management.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Dylan is the only Oriole having an All-Star season.  And I think he will be the O's representative at the AS game unless he is hurt.

Personally I wish it were possible that the O's got no representation. Rather have the guys resting for a few days than appearing in a pointless exhibition game.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

His starts are must-see TV for me.    

He's a breath of fresh air for this organization. He's the only starting pitcher on the team that seems to have real confidence in his stuff. Most of our guys nibble. He goes right after hitters - "Here's my best stuff, try to hit it."

Archived