Orioles' Adam Jones berated by racist taunts at Fenway Park

OsFanSinceThe80s

Orioles' Adam Jones berated by racist taunts at Fenway Park

Unreal, and I thought the Blue Jays fans were bad.  If Boston wasn't my most hated team and fan base before this cements it.

“A disrespectful fan threw a bag of peanuts at me,’’ Jones said, “I was called the N-word a handful of times tonight. Thanks. Pretty awesome.’’

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why someone would call him the "n word." First of all, I'm sure there are other people sitting near them that took offense to that word and secondly, Red Sox have people on the team that would take offense to that word too. 

I can understand some trash talk from the stands that makes sense in baseball terms but calling someone a name like that is just weird. At that point, it's not even about baseball anymore. 

There was a BIG thing about this with David Price in Boston right before the season. He claimed the same thing. Most of the Boston media mocked his accusations and said the same thing as MDK02. Once you can question, but when you have a guy as reputable as Jonesy saying it and a 2nd incident, I am going to believe it happened. I have literally no reason not to at this point.

2 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

There was a BIG thing about this with David Price in Boston right before the season. He claimed the same thing. Most of the Boston media mocked his accusations and said the same thing as MDK02. Once you can question, but when you have a guy as reputable as Jonesy saying it and a 2nd incident, I am going to believe it happened. I have literally no reason not to at this point.

I guess my comment came off incorrectly. I wasn't trying to say that Adam was lying. I was thinking more in terms of the person's mentality who is saying that stuff. I don't understand why someone would feel the need the need to do that. 

I lived in Boston for 5 years. 

I experienced more open racial hostility there than anyplace else I've ever lived (and I've lived in a few cities across the country in my lifetime). 

Boston - despite its "liberal" reputation - is a stronghold of old-school anti-Black bigotry. This isn't shocking. We're in a tense time with racial animus bubbling to the surface and that's like gasoline on a fire as far as that city is concerned. 

This is a godamn shame. Adam doesn't deserve that, no human being deserves that. 

Damn that city. 

MSK 

If you want to hear some highly entertaining, albeit delusional radio tune into the WEEI morning show tomorrow. from 6-10am (they upload the entire thing on the website afterwards if you miss it) They talked about the Price thing for weeks on end and will undoubtedly talk about this for 4 hours straight. There has been discussions about Boston and race for months on the radio up there, surrounding that incident and other stuff people have claimed.They will say Jones is lying just like Price was, I can almost guarantee it. Although I am very interested to see if a second incident gives them even a little bit of pause.

And people wonder why Adam said this was still a white man's game. There were 42 African American's on rosters at the beginning of this season, and those guys (along with Hispanic dudes as well) will have to deal with the pure foolishness that none of the white players have to deal with. Anybody who shot down Adam Jones' comments from last year now knows EXACTLY what he was talking about.

Jones is nothing but class.  He puts up with this BS in multiple cities.

For the peanut bag throwing bitch, how do you wake up in the morning and think that you are an okay person?  You must have some serious self hate to do something like that.

Coward is right.

Boston is the toilet bowl of the country.

It's easily more racist than any city in the south, which integrated decades ago. 

Obviously racism exists in both areas (as it does in places like Chicago, Cleveland, etc.) but Boston is the type of place where bigots feel so comfortable being bigoted that they can yell stuff like this in public and feel like no one is going to care.

Truly the worst of the worst, I can't stand the city, the people or any of their sports teams.

Easily the team/fanbase I hate the most in all of sports. The worst part is they are all a bunch of bandwagon jumpers too. You couldn't find 10 Red Sox/patriots fans at a sports bar in the mid 90's. Now they are everywhere spreading their filth and racism.

31 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I don't understand why someone would call him the "n word." First of all, I'm sure there are other people sitting near them that took offense to that word and secondly, Red Sox have people on the team that would take offense to that word too. 

I can understand some trash talk from the stands that makes sense in baseball terms but calling someone a name like that is just weird. At that point, it's not even about baseball anymore. 

I knew the Red Sox fan base would be worked up for this series.  But when you go to racist taunts and throwing objects on the field, it's time for that crap to end.  If you're caught doing this type of behavior, lifetime ban is not out of question. 

Saw Jones jawing to the fans in LF when he made that catch. Thorne tried to play it off that he was joking with Kirby and Schoop. He knew what was going. Just like In SF. Always the most liberal cities that are the most racist. Toronto too. 

Hope Jones takes it out on Sale tomorrow. We are a highly motivated team right now. 

Archived