Orioles' Adam Jones berated by racist taunts at Fenway Park

OsFanSinceThe80s

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, crissfan172 said:

There is absolutely no place for that kind of crap in our society. 

This isn't a "Red Sox fans suck" thing, though. This is a bad people thing. 

Yeah-there is no way there could be such blatant racism nowadays. No way could there be a rally where such bigotry and xenophobia is not only embraced, but applauded. That's crazy!

I say they should find the guy that said it start a chant at the next O's rally-the chant would go like this "LOCK HIM UP" "LOCK HIM UP"

We are talking about Boston people. Why are people surprised. Boston is notoriously one of the most racist cities in the world.

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Saw Jones jawing to the fans in LF when he made that catch. Thorne tried to play it off that he was joking with Kirby and Schoop. He knew what was going. Just like In SF. Always the most liberal cities that are the most racist. Toronto too. 

Hope Jones takes it out on Sale tomorrow. We are a highly motivated team right now. 

Thorne blowing off a clearly angry and upset Adam Jones as "just joking with Kirby" was yet another example of how out of touch Gary is on an everyday basis.

Don't want to get off topic, but I rarely find myself agreeing with Thorne on just about everything. Very disappointing.

I grew up in Baltimore and I now live in the Boston area. I do not believe that Boston is a racist town. But, it sure has that reputation.

I totally believe Jonesy. I wonder how people sitting in the stands reacted when this was happening. You gottta ban folks for life from the ballpark. I dont know how you do that, but thats the answer.

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Saw Jones jawing to the fans in LF when he made that catch. Thorne tried to play it off that he was joking with Kirby and Schoop. He knew what was going. Just like In SF. Always the most liberal cities that are the most racist. Toronto too. 

Hope Jones takes it out on Sale tomorrow. We are a highly motivated team right now. 

Between Jones and Machado, ain't that the truth.

Mookie Betts must be feeling not-so-hot right now.

1 hour ago, MDK02 said:

I don't understand why someone would call him the "n word." First of all, I'm sure there are other people sitting near them that took offense to that word and secondly, Red Sox have people on the team that would take offense to that word too. 

I can understand some trash talk from the stands that makes sense in baseball terms but calling someone a name like that is just weird. At that point, it's not even about baseball anymore. 

I would hope every one on the Red Sox would take offense.

2 hours ago, MemorialStadKid said:

I lived in Boston for 5 years. 

I experienced more open racial hostility there than anyplace else I've ever lived (and I've lived in a few cities across the country in my lifetime). 

Boston - despite its "liberal" reputation - is a stronghold of old-school anti-Black bigotry. This isn't shocking. We're in a tense time with racial animus bubbling to the surface and that's like gasoline on a fire as far as that city is concerned. 

This is a godamn shame. Adam doesn't deserve that, no human being deserves that. 

Damn that city. 

MSK 

A musician friend of mine, a black man from Baltimore (Pigtown neighborhood in the 1970s)  who has toured the world, says Boston is the most racist city he's ever visited. This all seems to fit in with what he's told me. 

2 hours ago, MemorialStadKid said:

I lived in Boston for 5 years. 

I experienced more open racial hostility there than anyplace else I've ever lived (and I've lived in a few cities across the country in my lifetime). 

Boston - despite its "liberal" reputation - is a stronghold of old-school anti-Black bigotry. This isn't shocking. We're in a tense time with racial animus bubbling to the surface and that's like gasoline on a fire as far as that city is concerned. 

This is a godamn shame. Adam doesn't deserve that, no human being deserves that. 

Damn that city. 

MSK 

You should post more sir.

5 hours ago, MDK02 said:

I guess my comment came off incorrectly. I wasn't trying to say that Adam was lying. I was thinking more in terms of the person's mentality who is saying that stuff. I don't understand why someone would feel the need the need to do that. 

Because that person is a hopelessly racist pig?    Logic has nothing to do with it.  

I know Toronto has had some serious issues, in particular throwing items at the O's outfielders (I'm not sure if it is isolated to the O's). They still sell their beers in containers which would seem to be a solution to a possible dangerous situation. I was at the last series in Toronto for 3 games and Adam was very animated with the fans. Talking in CF and playing with the crowd most innings on his way to the dugout, tossing balls, enjoying it.

The Boston situation is not new. MLB seems to ignore at things Boston...no evidence of PED use buy any Red sox player during the investigation..please. This (these) incident(s) should be headlines on the MLB site. The City/Team and fans should be put to task on the site. But, they will never do it. AJ is one of the best Ambassadors to the City of Baltimore and MLB....the issue needs to be addressed. A racists will live and die as a racist. These people of ignorance need not only be removed from the game and publically humiliated. I am sure there are a few stockades left in Boston.

This is awful. I'm not going to kill the whole town because of a few jerks behavior. I've seen O's fans and ravens fans be terrible, and would prefer Baltimore not be painted with a wide brush.

In soccer, they will suspend all the fans from a game at the stadium as a punishment for this sort of behavior, which works because it encourages fans to stop other fans from doing this and it penalizes owners for their fans behavior. The latter is the reason this probably won't happen though.

Archived