Orioles' Adam Jones berated by racist taunts at Fenway Park

OsFanSinceThe80s

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Orioles' Adam Jones berated by racist taunts at Fenway Park

Unreal, and I thought the Blue Jays fans were bad.  If Boston wasn't my most hated team and fan base before this cements it.

Damn! Those people are real jerks. It puts a bad light on the BoSox and Boston. That's is so uncalled for. I wish those idiots could have been arrested. 

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Listen to Baltimore sports talk show callers and tell me you want them to represent our fanbases views to the world. I've found about 10 percent of the callers to have interesting valid points. The rest are more like this, "Man, the Ravens screwed up that draft pick. They should have drafted that RB with the African name instead, can't remember his name but i think he went to Clemson or USC or something like that!" 

I picture the typical sports talk show caller as the guys who wouldn't last a day on OH.

I can barely listen to 105.7 the fan because of the callers.  Especially the ones who call in every day to multiple shows.  I can only wonder what someone who isn't from Baltimore thinks when they tune into 105.7

Just now, dan-O said:

I see. So now that we've applauded Jones for a few pages, we're going to just sort of change gears and turn the conversation into "but hey, it's BLACK people's fault they don't play baseball" and "what about WHITE people that face racism"? Or hey why not just make the jump to "BUT FREEDOM OF SPEECH"?

Didn't take very long did it. Not surprised. 

2 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Haha. I really can't help you on this one man. 

If that's what you got from these posts then you are are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

The lack of black players playing in the major leagues is indeed proportional to lack of black players playing it at the amateur level. That's just a fact. No one is "blaming" them, it's just a cold hard fact. Black players are not playing the sport because the game is racist or racists play the game or because it's a white man's sport. 

Jones was wrong last year when he spoke out and called it a "white man's sport." First off, the number of black players don't include black Hispanic players which make up a large majority of black players playing in the league.. Secondly, he made it sound like it's something baseball is doing to keep it white rather than the lack of black player talent pool. 

It's typical though of people like you. As soon as you have no facts to stand on you turn it around and just pull the racist card out. Ridiculous.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I can barely listen to 105.7 the fan because of the callers.  Especially the ones who call in every day to multiple shows.  I can only wonder what someone who isn't from Baltimore thinks when they tune into 105.7

I am out of state and listen from time to time online. But I haven't gotten into the groove yet this year and tuned in on a regular basis. I do like most of the hosts, however. The two guys I do enjoy are the blind kid "Moe" and the old cranky Bob. He gets worked up nearly every call. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I turn it off when they get to the callers. I like listening when they have guests on though. That's what 105.7 does the best and I'm not just saying that because they have me on. lol

Just now, NashLumber said:

I am out of state and listen from time to time online. But I haven't gotten into the groove yet this year and tuned in on a regular basis. I do like most of the hosts, however. The two guys I do enjoy are the blind kid "Moe" and the old cranky Bob. He gets worked up nearly every call. 

I'm surprised Bob from Parkville hasn't stroked out on one of his tirades.  I actually enjoy hearing his take even if I don't agree.  

I haven't heard Dave from Salisbury for a long time.  I could never tell if he was serious or just trolling when he calls.  

I did like seeing that the Mayor of Boston called this out. Boston does have a reputation but it's also the first time Adam has ever talked about encountering racist taunts there. Anyhow, I'd say that just because someone cheers on the racial minority players on their team doesn't make someone less of a racist. I believe Frank Robinson or maybe it was Bob Gibson said if I wasn't winning them games, I'd be just another (racial slur) to them. And that's certainly not true of all or most fans especially now but I do believe that just because someone cheers on African-Americans, Hispanics, etc in sports doesn't mean they can't be a bigot aside from that. Anyhow, I think it sucks that this kind of crap happens in 2017 but I can't say I'm too surprised either.  We have come a long way from the past but we should still strive to be better. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm surprised Bob from Parkville hasn't stroked out on one of his tirades.  I actually enjoy hearing his take even if I don't agree.  

I haven't heard Dave from Salisbury for a long time.  I could never tell if he was serious or just trolling when he calls.  

That's it. Bob from Parkville. I feel exactly the same. It's like hearing one's cranky uncle, but you still love him. Let's see. There's also. Bubba Bowie and Elkton John ("aaayyyy!). But as said, there's a lot of uninformed folks calling in, too. But I do tend to tune in during baseball season and tune out after it's over. Just haven't gotten back into it yet this year. Since I'm in NC, I have to rely on Tune-In Radio or CBS Local apps and the canned ads sometimes drive me away when it goes on for a half hour. 

5 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

i posted this before but someone might have missed it. Sad and puts it all into perspective.

The family of Mo Gaba — an enthusiastic 11-year-old Baltimore Orioles superfan who has beaten cancer twice and has gained a local following with calls to sports-talk radio programs — got another round of bad news recently.

Following two previous diagnoses of retinoblastoma, the blind Glen Burnie fifth-grader was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer, and had to be taken out of his classes George Cromwell Elementary for treatment beginning late last month, said his mother, Sonsy Gaba. He'll likely miss the rest of the school yea.

Upon hearing of the latest diagnosis, fans of Mo's who have heard him on 105.7 The Fan and Mix 106.5 donated more than $13,400 for his family's expenses on an online GoFundMe page titled "Mo Strong."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-orioles-fan-fundraiser-20170425-story.html

10 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Yeah-there is no way there could be such blatant racism nowadays. No way could there be a rally where such bigotry and xenophobia is not only embraced, but applauded. That's crazy!

I say they should find the guy that said it start a chant at the next O's rally-the chant would go like this "LOCK HIM UP" "LOCK HIM UP"

We are talking about Boston people. Why are people surprised. Boston is notoriously one of the most racist cities in the world.

I did not know that. I guess I am naive. But it being a liberal city I didn't think it would be so racist. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If that's what you got from these posts then you are are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

The lack of black players playing in the major leagues is indeed proportional to lack of black players playing it at the amateur level. That's just a fact. No one is "blaming" them, it's just a cold hard fact. Black players are not playing the sport because the game is racist or racists play the game or because it's a white man's sport. 

Jones was wrong last year when he spoke out and called it a "white man's sport." First off, the number of black players don't include black Hispanic players which make up a large majority of black players playing in the league.. Secondly, he made it sound like it's something baseball is doing to keep it white rather than the lack of black player talent pool. 

It's typical though of people like you. As soon as you have no facts to stand on you turn it around and just pull the racist card out. Ridiculous.

I thought your initial post was OK, Tony, but I think you're contradicting yourself when you're calling out Adam Jones. You admitted in your first post that black people might, on average, have a tougher path to the majors because of the expense of travel ball, private schools that can field varsity teams, etc. and you also admitted that there has been some ignorance about how to coach Latino players in recent history. So if the obstacles are greater for non-whites than whites, I think "white man's sport" is a pretty fair, if uncomfortable, categorization.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good stuff, Tony. That was the intent of me bringing up the demographics, but you said it all much more eloquently. When you look at the percentage of black players in the game, combined with the other socioeconomic factors you point out, it's not surprising the way it is and it also doesn't make it a white man's sport. I, too, disagreed when Adam said that last year. 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

i posted this before but someone might have missed it. Sad and puts it all into perspective.

The family of Mo Gaba — an enthusiastic 11-year-old Baltimore Orioles superfan who has beaten cancer twice and has gained a local following with calls to sports-talk radio programs — got another round of bad news recently.

Following two previous diagnoses of retinoblastoma, the blind Glen Burnie fifth-grader was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer, and had to be taken out of his classes George Cromwell Elementary for treatment beginning late last month, said his mother, Sonsy Gaba. He'll likely miss the rest of the school yea.

Upon hearing of the latest diagnosis, fans of Mo's who have heard him on 105.7 The Fan and Mix 106.5 donated more than $13,400 for his family's expenses on an online GoFundMe page titled "Mo Strong."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-orioles-fan-fundraiser-20170425-story.html

Oh no :(  Thanks for sharing this. Poor guy. He's such a ray of sunshine. 

1 minute ago, dan-O said:

But that doesn't mean that you have to cease being a fan of Adam Jones, like Tony did last year. Maybe Jones is off base, but he's also black, and experiencing the game from a unique perspective that less than 100 other players are experiencing. 

Surely, more can be done to get black players back into baseball, and historically, he's absolutely correct: it HAS been a white man's sport until very recently. Now? It's tough to say, but Jones is just an athlete with an opinion and good intentions. We may not always agree with him, but to be like "WELL I'M NOT A FAN ANYMORE BECAUSE I DISAGREE" as if Jones is somehow attacking your whiteness, is patently ridiculous, and frankly, a little gross.

And I most definitely did not do that. I stated a few pages back that Adam has been one of my favorite players for years. He tells it like it is and speaks his mind, which is refreshing compared to the corporate line you get from so many. Glad he's our guy. 

Archived