Keith Law Chat - Wednesday 6/4

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just go back and look at the drafts of other teams and you'll realize how many guys aren't taletned enough. BTW, it's too soon to call anyone a bust as far as I can tell. Just who are you calling a bust?

I don't see how you can't call Synder a bust. Yeah he was hurt but his plate approach flat out stinks. Rowell is overrated on here as he also has poor plate discipline and can't hit LHP. Both of these guys were top 15 first round picks. Adam Jones is in the majors already as is Ellsbury and both were drafted outside of the top 15. Both of these two were drafted outside of the top 15 picks. If you are drafting high, you need to pick sure things, not projects which Snyder and Rowell were, epecially with our poor hitting instruction.

As far as I'm concerned, Jordan should draft mainly all college bats and very few HS ones until we can clean out the hitting coaches in the organization.

4. Baltimore -- Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego

Word today has the Orioles preferring Matusz. Crow is also a strong possibility here, and the Orioles were willing to pay over slot last year. If the Royals pass on Hosmer for some reason (e.g., Pittsburgh takes Posey and K.C. takes Alvarez), the Orioles would likely switch up and take Hosmer.

First I've heard us be interested in Hosmer... not that excited about that.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2008/insider/news/story?id=3426919

I am. I think he's a better player than T. Beckham. Greg Pappas said he hasn't seen a 1B with Hosmer's upside in 20 years.

4. Baltimore -- Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego

Word today has the Orioles preferring Matusz. Crow is also a strong possibility here, and the Orioles were willing to pay over slot last year. If the Royals pass on Hosmer for some reason (e.g., Pittsburgh takes Posey and K.C. takes Alvarez), the Orioles would likely switch up and take Hosmer.

First I've heard us be interested in Hosmer... not that excited about that.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2008/insider/news/story?id=3426919

Whoa. Nah... I better not get my hopes up. :o

I am. I think he's a better player than T. Beckham. Greg Pappas said he hasn't seen a 1B with Hosmer's upside in 20 years.

20 years?!

HS 1B prospects in the 1st rd that make the majors are rare. I can only think of James Loney, Derrick Lee, Adrian Gonzalez, and Prince Fielder

Especially with the failure of all our 1st round HS bats we've picked to date...

I hate the fact that we are going to leave Smoak on the board. Matusz had better be another Pettite...

I have been saying for a few months now that I thought JJ may really want Hosmer. Now, that doesn't mean he would be allowed to take him if those above him would prefer a cheaper college LHP like Matusz. But, Hosmer, like say...Jay Bruce was a few years ago, is the best HS hitter in this draft and has outstanding plate discipline and a great approach. The difference between Hosmer and Rowell and Snyder is huge.

JTREA, you're not calling Snyder and Rowell failures are you buddy? I think it'd be a little premature to say that at this point. Disappointing thus far, yup....but to label them failures means we should give up on them.

To those that think we can just pick another first baseman later are missing the point in my opinion. When you have the oppourtunity to take the best run-producer in the draft, regardless of position, you do it. That's like saying we should pass on the next Justin Morneau because we can get Kevin Millar later. :eek:

I don't see how you can't call Synder a bust. Yeah he was hurt but his plate approach flat out stinks. Rowell is overrated on here as he also has poor plate discipline and can't hit LHP. Both of these guys were top 15 first round picks. Adam Jones is in the majors already as is Ellsbury and both were drafted outside of the top 15. Both of these two were drafted outside of the top 15 picks. If you are drafting high, you need to pick sure things, not projects which Snyder and Rowell were, epecially with our poor hitting instruction.

As far as I'm concerned, Jordan should draft mainly all college bats and very few HS ones until we can clean out the hitting coaches in the organization.

I have to agree with you here. I consider Snyder a bust also. I never liked us drafting him when we did and he has done NOTHING to change my mind. At this point I do not even pencil him in to the ML team. Anything that we get out of him in the future will be a pleasant surprise.

You're not worried?
Not at all. I still think he's a fringe top 50 prospect in baseball, definitely in the top 100.

If he's well below a .700 OPS at the end of the year I'll be concerned, but I don't expect that.

Just go back and look at the drafts of other teams and you'll realize how many guys aren't taletned enough. BTW, it's too soon to call anyone a bust as far as I can tell. Just who are you calling a bust?

Tripper Johnson was a bust. Bryan Bass was a bust. Kieron Pope is a bust. I'm tempted to call Brandon Snyder a bust, but I'll give him another half season before I write him off. Rowell has another couple of years to improve.

Let's put it the other way: name one high school hitter that this organization has developed in the last 10 years.

I don't know if we have lousy hitting scouts or lousy hitting instruction in the minor leagues, but it can't just be bad luck that we haven't developed even one decent high school hitter in the last ten years.

Archived