Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't blame Duquette for counting on Gausman and Tillman.  I do blame him for not having a backup plan for Miley and Ubaldo.  The O's were going to be hurting if any starter was hurt or ineffective. 

Well at this point I think 2 are hurt and the other 3 are terrible. My Grandma could do better.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

He tried, acquiring Ynoa and Asher as fallback options, to go with Aquino (who he acquired the year before) and Wright and WIlson.

Each and every one of them failed too.   Obviously that's on Duquette, as he chose them.   But it wasn't unreasonable to hope that one of them might at least be an adequate 5th starter option.

I really thought Ynoa was going to be in the rotation by mid season.  I was expecting a lot from what some mets fan were saying about him.  A buddy follows Mets and he was very upset they moved him especially for what they got back. I thought he was going to be a solid number 3 or 4 for years to come.  Maybe he can still do that next season.  He has struggled in Norfolk but showed what he could do in that one time he had to come into game in the first inning.

4 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I really thought Ynoa was going to be in the rotation by mid season.  I was expecting a lot from what some mets fan were saying about him.  A buddy follows Mets and he was very upset they moved him especially for what they got back. I thought he was going to be a solid number 3 or 4 for years to come.  Maybe he can still do that next season.  He has struggled in Norfolk but showed what he could do in that one time he had to come into game in the first inning.

Ynoa baffles me, I watch him pitch and see a big leaguer.  He's kind of like Gausman (although not the same premium stuff) where he has enough stuff but for some reason (lack of command in the zone or pitchability) he gives up more hard contact than you would expect and struggles to put people away with 2 strikes.  Ynoa is still young though, he just turned 24, I wouldn't give up on him.  

6 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

Anyone that thinks a catcher doesn't affect the pitching staff has never played the game.

Heard Dave Johnson say on Wall to Wall Baseball, "the last thing I'd ever say was that I was getting bad results because of the catcher.    It's on the pitcher to know what's working, and change what isn't working."

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Heard Dave Johnson say on Wall to Wall Baseball, "the last thing I'd ever say was that I was getting bad results because of the catcher.    It's on the pitcher to know what's working, and change what isn't working."

How good is that advice?  Dave was 22-25 with a 5.11 ERA.

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He understood that he wasn't a very good pitcher and that it was no one's fault but his own.

I listen to Wall to Wall Baseball if Roch or Jim Duquette are on.  Otherwise I can go to the local bar and get as much insight as I hear on that program.  Johnson often says he has no inside information or contact with O's management.

Just now, wildcard said:

I listen to Wall to Wall Baseball if Roch or Jim Duquette are on.  Otherwise I can go to the local bar and get as much insight as I hear on that program.  Johnson often says he has no inside information or contact with O's management.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote, so I'm not sure why you are quoting me. Dave Johnson does not need inside information to know he wasn't a very good pitcher.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So did the Twins break even, lose out or turn a profit on Garcia?

They gave up their 22nd rated prospect for Garcia and got the Yankees 22nd rated prospect, FWIW.

They paid Garcia for a week.  He started (1 or 2?) Games for them, I know he won the other night.

I wonder if they let the changing circumstances of the pennant race turn them from buyers to sellers, or if a flip was planned all along?  KC and Cleveland have both gotten really hot lately.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So did the Twins break even, lose out or turn a profit on Garcia?

Turned a profit, while the pitcher they gave up (Huscar Ynoa) has a higher upside, Littell is much closer to the majors and is currently a more highly regarded prospect (Yankkes system is much deeper than the Twins).  Littell is a preformance guy, and has pitched extremely well in AA as a 21yo.  That said, scouts aren't excited about his stuff but he looks like he has plus pitchability.  Twins also got cash in the deal with the Braves, so unless they sent that along to the Yankees, they got some money in the deal too.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They gave up their 22nd rated prospect for Garcia and got the Yankees 22nd rated prospect, FWIW.

They paid Garcia for a week.  He started (1 or 2?) Games for them, I know he won the other night.

I wonder if they let the changing circumstances of the pennant race turn them from buyers to sellers, or if a flip was planned all along?  KC and Cleveland have both gotten really hot lately.

I think the price was right for them to pick him up and try and make a run.  When the run didn't materialize right away they made the quick flip.

Update on the Twins - Yankees trade:  

It looks like Dietrich Enns is going to the Twins along with Littell, and cash is going to the Yankees to bring the cost of Garcia down to the prorated minimum.

Littell is like a slightly better Alex Wells a year in the future.

Enns is an older guy (26yo) who has never really been a prospect, but has routinely outperformed strikeout and walk numbers.  Just coming off the DL but he has pitched well in AAA, 104 innings of sub 2.00 ERA mostly as a starter.  

Archived