Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SteveA said:

Trades made at the deadline sometimes don't get reported for 10 or 15 minutes.   It's not over.   Yet.

We traded Davies after the deadline.  Well it got reported after it but wasa official before hand.  Unfortunate as it may be.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course I'm serious.  Dan is out after next year.  You think he wants to trade players that could contribute to the 2018 team for prospects another GM will get to use?

I think he's a professional who's doing the best he can under difficult circumstances. As a professional, he wants to do the best job he can as GM, so that he can manintain his reputation (which, I think, is pretty good) , in part so he can try to get another job after this one. I doubt he wants to be known as a guy who made trade decisions based on his expected tenure with his team. That's why he's taken the unusual -- extraordinary? -- step of telling the world that it's not his decision to forsake the int'l market or that he's only allowed to talk trade on certain players, with all deals subject to the owner's approval.

You can doubt Duquette's judgment in the trades he's made, and he's made some real bad ones as well as some good ones. But to look at him and his track record of making trades throughout his career, and then look at the stubborn old fool who holds all the power and has made so many decisions that have undercut this team's long-run interest, and then to decide, without any supporting facts or any idea what was offered for Britton (or Brach or Smith or Castillo), that Duquette held up trades because he put his own interest ahead of the franchise's is both unfair and, IMO, delusional.  

It appears DD did nothing of significance which means he and or the ownership think they are contenders. I can understand not selling low on Britton (I don't know what they were being offered), but not moving Brach, Smith, Castillo or O'day (if he could) is inexcusable.

Archived