Which of these pitchers do you feel have a positive future in Baltimore?

Enjoy Terror

Which of these pitchers do you feel have a positive future in Baltimore?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these pitchers do you feel have a positive future in Baltimore?

I went with Bleier and reluctantly Yacabonis just trying to be positive, but both for bullpen use only. Castro.. I just don't think he's starter material. His fastball is very good, but offspeed stuff is too inconsistent. If he's kept in the bullpen, I think he could be solid at least. I think he will fail as a starter and I'm depending on the Orioles to do the wrong thing as usual. Even still, all three are ultimately nothing all that special. How much they are benefiting from their "unknown" status is debatable, but there's certainly some. Bleier has pretty good stuff for a soft-tosser and has solid command of his stuff, so he's most likely in the list for me.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Just taking a quick poll to see what people think of the newer talent and what they can contribute. For me, they are kind of nebulous as some will have great outings and then have a meltdown... then we're back to taking about talent and what could be possible if they can put it together.

I voted for Castro. 

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Has the league figured him out or is he just tired?

1) He's pitched more innings this year than he ever did in any previous year.

2) He has pitched more innings this year than any reliever in baseball since the All Star Break by a wide margin.

Judging him on the last 4 or 5 outings in September doesn't seem fair given those fact.

I don't know if he'll be a successful starter but he's a 22 year old with a live arm, to me he clearly has the best future of the bunch and I expect him to be in the majors in some capacity for many years to come barring injury.

Fair point. 

7 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

The question was sort of prompted by weams indicating last night (I think) that he was tired of seeing Donnie Hart. Then a couple people chimed in about how Hart has mediocre stuff. I would think that these people would not vote for Hart.

As you can see above, Hart has his fans too.

Last year Hart looked great, exactly what we needed out of a LOOGY after Brian Matusz. This year, though, he's looked an awful lot like Brian Matusz. :(

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Has the league figured him out or is he just tired?

1) He's pitched more innings this year than he ever did in any previous year.

2) He has pitched more innings this year than any reliever in baseball since the All Star Break by a wide margin.

Judging him on the last 4 or 5 outings in September doesn't seem fair given those fact.

I don't know if he'll be a successful starter but he's a 22 year old with a live arm, to me he clearly has the best future of the bunch and I expect him to be in the majors in some capacity for many years to come barring injury.

He pitched 26 innings in a 30 days span in August.     That's why he's tired.  

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I voted for only three, Castro, Yacabonis and Ynoa.    But it depends a bit on what you mean by a "positive future."    Hart and Bleier might be able to continue in their current roles, I just don't see either having a big impact.    And while I've pretty much written off Crichton and Nuno, we might get some useful innings out of Lee, Aquino and Asher some day -- though I'm not confident about it.  

Same three I chose. I'm ambivalent about Bleier. He's been useful this year no doubt, but I'm not impressed with his stuff. I hope Lee bounces back next year.

Yacabonis has good stuff but his delivery is erratic. Although, that can sometimes be effective for a reliever. Ynoa needs to be on with his command because his stuff is average, but it occasionally plays up.

Castro has the best chance of this group to be a solid contributor.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:34 PM, Nevermore said:

I voted for Bleier, Yacabonis, Ynoa, and Castro. Castro snd possibly Ynos might become  starters, the others could be decent relievers

Ynoa has certainly shown his  stuff against the Rays. Is there a separate Ynoa thread?

I think Ynoa will be our #4 starter next season.  I think he'll post a sub 4.5 ERA and pitch about 175 innings.  Considering the importance of next year and the dreadful numbers our rotation we put up this season, that would be huge.

And I've been predicting his assent to the rotation since we picked him up from the Mets.  This is not just based on his gem last night.

Archived