The 18th ranked market in MLB just signed an RSN deal that will pay them 50m-82m a season. Tell me again how MASN doesn't make any money LOL

TradeAngelos

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/02/26/Media/Sports-media-sidebar-1.aspx

In a shocking turn of developments that has the "MASN profits deniers" scratching their heads in disbelief, the Rays just signed a massive RSN deal that will pay them in excess of 50m next year, escalating to 82m A SEASON by the time the deal ends in 2033. Now how in the world can a lowly market like Tampa freaking Bay get that? The math doesn't quite add up when you hear the claims of certain O's fans/posters about this and that just making excuses all day long. 

The Rays are entering the final year of their current deal on Fox Sports Sun. The team is due to receive close to $35 million this season, the last one under that deal, sources said.

Fox’s payout is expected to increase to around $50 million in 2019 under the new contract. Over the 15-year life of the deal, which would run through the 2033 season, Fox would pay, on average, around $82 million per year, sources said.

Now one can only imagine if the RAYS are worth that much money in rights fees every year, just how much 100% of the Orioles....PLUS 70ish% of the Nationals is worth being the ridiculous combined market it is between the Nats and O's. Actually, if you add these numbers up, between DC and Baltimore it was the 2nd largest market averaging an 8.54 share per game. And Pete is getting roughly 90% of all that combined in TV revenue give or take. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/10/10/here-are-the-2017-mlb-prime-time-television-ratings-for-each-team/2/#22b8141a63cc

The Rays TV market ranked 18th overall last season. The Orioles ranked 5th. The Nationals ranked 12th.  

Anyone want to do some back of the napkin math on that? Yeah. The next time anyone says that the Orioles "can't afford" something because they are a "mid market" franchise", or that a Machado contract would "cripple the franchise" just let those numbers sink in for a minute. The amount of money Angelos has been making from MASN for the last 11 years has to be mind boggling when you add it all up. Not just one market....but an entire other one too taking about 3/4 of their TV money!

Yet every offseason we hear how poor we are, how "well attendance is down so we need to pull the payroll back a little bit". It is all rubbish. MASN is a cash cow and probably has been since the day it was started. Every single excuse in the book has been used, remember this is the team who just can't "afford" to give a pitcher more than 3 years or 55m dollars. A team that has to dive in the dumpsters at opposing ballparks for pitchers that have been cast off and are cheap, low risk (low reward) players. The team that sells you this ridiculous bill of goods pretty much every offseason about how "tight" things are. 

If this doesn't finally wake everyone up and make you feel sick I don't know what will. Tell me again how they just can't sustain payroll X Y or Z. Tell me again how "Angelos isn't as rich as the other owners who are using money out of their own pocket". We've heard it all. 

You think that family is not taking on any large contracts because they want to sell this cash cow? Hahaha not a CHANCE. They will die with this franchise. They are just trying to suck every last penny out of it in any way possible before everyone realizes what has been going on. As the MASN lawsuit continues on, and more and more public details are released from other teams they know they won't be able to keep up the charade much longer, so might as well hoard as much as they can before the truth starts to come out. It finally is. 

The funny thing is I'm sure there will still be fans buying what they are selling despite the mountain of evidence piling up suggesting what is really going on. We as fans are being robbed blind. Remember Pete always wins. No matter what the situation, he always wins. He is smarter than pretty much everyone else and he knows it. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just don't know how profitable MASN really is.  There is ample evidence that MASN hasn't turned out to be the cash cow that the Orioles hoped.  The number of subscribers to cable TV is down, and the number is heading even further down in the future as cutting the cord becomes more prevalent.  This trend obviously hurts MASN's bottom line.

On the other hand, baseball broadcast rights are generally up, but the Orioles don't participate directly in this increase because they own their own network.  However, the Nationals are getting a good case built for them to ask for even higher fees from MASN for the rights to their games in the future.

The Orioles have not been able to build MASN up through acquiring broadcast rights to other sports or from the production of their own original sports programming.  MASN Has show no streaming media creativity over the Internet to offset the loss of cable TV subscribers.   Maybe the Orioles just aren't really good at building their own cable sports network.

We all lauded the creation of MASN.  We all thought it would do great things for the Orioles.  It turns out that building your own network is harder than we thought.  I am not sure it has worked out as well as anyone hoped.  Maybe it's time for the Orioles to sell MASN and go back to selling their broadcast rights like many other teams.  Perhaps it's time to get out of a business that the Orioles have not shown they are really good at doing.

1 minute ago, nadecir said:

We just don't know how profitable MASN really is.  There is ample evidence that MASN hasn't turned out to be the cash cow that the Orioles hoped.  The number of subscribers to cable TV is down, and the number is heading even further down in the future as cutting the cord becomes more prevalent.  This trend obviously hurts MASN's bottom line.

On the other hand, baseball broadcast rights are generally up, but the Orioles don't participate directly in this increase because they own their own network.  However, the Nationals are getting a good case built for them to ask for even higher fees from MASN for the rights to their games in the future.

The Orioles have not been able to build MASN up through acquiring broadcast rights to other sports or from the production of their own original sports programming.  MASN Has show no streaming media creativity over the Internet to offset the loss of cable TV subscribers.   Maybe the Orioles just aren't really good at building their own cable sports network.

We all lauded the creation of MASN.  We all thought it would do great things for the Orioles.  It turns out that building your own network is harder than we thought.  I am not sure it has worked out as well as anyone hoped.  Maybe it's time for the Orioles to sell MASN and go back to selling their broadcast rights like many other teams.  Perhaps it's time to get out of a business that the Orioles have not shown they are really good at doing.

What does MASN charge the folks up there a month?

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What does MASN charge the folks up there a month?

MASN is part of most cable and satellite packages.  I had DirecTV and now I have local Digital Cable, and MASN was part of the package I bought.  So the question is how much they're charging DirecTV and the cable companies.  I suppose they have a la carte offerings to subscribers who have base packages that don't include MASN to consider as well.

Put it this way, PGA isn't about to disclose financials for MASN any more than he is for the O's themselves, and whatever he does disclose is cooked to make it as advantageous as possible for him at the given time.  He shows what he wants to show, but I'm sure he's not hurting for cash.

51 minutes ago, nadecir said:

Well that didn't take long. You people are so delusional it hurts my brain just to think about how you come up with this cockamamie stuff.

1 hour ago, nadecir said:

We just don't know how profitable MASN really is.  

Actually, we do have a pretty good idea.   The documents made public in the litigation challenging the MASN arbitration were pretty explicit, though those numbers are a bit dated by now.   As summarized in the court decision that vacated the award, the arbitration decision had MASN’s operating profits growing from $14 mm in 2012 to $24 mm by 2016, net of the rights fees to be paid to the teams, which were to total $53 mm for each team in 2012 and grow to $66 mm in 2016.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=zA51e0IRuIQwKn5t4IqWhw==.  (See page 9 of the decision)

So, we know from this that, before paying any rights fees, MASN was expected to have $156 mm in net revenue in 2016.    How much of that goes to the Orioles is still to be determined, pending the outcome of the court battles and a further arbitration.    If the panel’s decision had stood, it would have been roughly $86 mm for the O’s and $70 mm for the Nats (including the $66 mm in rights fees for each).      

MASN doesn’t even have a dedicated Orioles show. Their own damn team and they don’t produce a show for them. They have Nats Talk, but no Orioles Talk. I know they have Take me out to the ball game and Wall to wall baseball, but I care not for the Nats and just want an Orioles program to watch. Hell, they need programming, it seems like self producing something would be the cheapest way to get it. They could also play local college basketball and football games. Towson, Morgan, Stevenson, Salisbury etc.

9 minutes ago, incubus said:

MASN doesn’t even have a dedicated Orioles show. Their own damn team and they don’t produce a show for them. They have Nats Talk, but no Orioles Talk. I know they have Take me out to the ball game and Wall to wall baseball, but I care not for the Nats and just want an Orioles program to watch. 

Wall to Wall Baseball is solely about the Orioles.    Every once in a while they might kick around a national story, but they certainly don’t cover the Nats in any significant way.    

Archived