The defense thread, 2018

Frobby

Derik Fisher's triple was in the air for several seconds and landed on the warning track slightly right of dead center

Adam Jones looked like he was running on the beach. 25 other ML centerfielders make that play.

I said in pre-season that a pitching staff that doesn't miss bats, gives up a lot of fly balls and pared with horrendous OF defense would be a big problem

Jones in Center and Beckham starting anywhere doesn't happen on a contender.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Derik Fisher's triple was in the air for several seconds and landed on the warning track slightly right of dead center

Adam Jones looked like he was running on the beach. 25 other ML centerfielders make that play.

I said in pre-season that a pitching staff that doesn't miss bats, gives up a lot of fly balls and pared with horrendous OF defense would be a big problem

Jones in Center and Beckham starting anywhere doesn't happen on a contender.

Yankees had Judge in center the other day.  Do you think he is better in center than Jones or are the Yankees not a contender?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yankees had Judge in center the other day.  Do you think he is better in center than Jones or are the Yankees not a contender?

Yes, Judge is better than Jones in center. Jones is very very slow for a ML centerfielder, and Judge isn't the Yankees planned centerfielder he is playing because of injury

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yes, Judge is better than Jones in center. Jones is very very slow for a ML centerfielder, and Judge isn't the Yankees planned centerfielder he is playing because of injury

xD

That would be why that was his 12th game in Center as a pro right?  Because he's so good at it.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

xD

That would be why that was his 12th game in Center as a pro right?  Because he's so good at it.

Missing the point, everyone is better than Jones, he can't run at all and his arm is also toast. You can't be telling me that Jones belongs in CF on a ML team?

Don't believe me just look at any advanced metric, he is beyond bad

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Missing the point, everyone is better than Jones, he can't run at all and his arm is also toast. You can't be telling me that Jones belongs in CF on a ML team?

Don't believe me just look at any advanced metric, he is beyond bad

Yes, but Adam is a good guy. This isn't about winning it is about loyalty. Nolan Reimold got so many chances with us because he was a good guy. Same with Flaherty. Now Tillman. The Orioles are the most loyal organization. I am so proud of them....screw championships!

4 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I did not see the game last night but I just saw this play on the highlights and I wholeheartedly agree with you.   In addition to the fact that Jones is slow for a CF, he looked pretty tentative on this play.

Also agreed.  If anyone knows how, I'd be curious to learn the Statcast catch probability of the play.  I know it's two basic inputs are hang time and distance traveled, and suspect that hang time/distance combo does probably result in a relatively high one, but I haven't learned baseballsavant well enough yet to see if it was 64% or 91%.

Jones' range in CF definitely is not good.  Any discussions about a contract extension need to make it very clear that his time in CF is over after this year.  Would love to see Mullins have a strong year in Bowie and be ready to make the team and take over next spring.

I'd disagree about the arm, though. The arm is still strong.

On 4/1/2018 at 5:14 PM, tntoriole said:

Would Nolan Reimold have caught it?   Would Nelson Cruz?    

I really hope Riemold and Cruz are not our standards for left field play.  They are two of the worst Major League outfielders I have ever seen.  Up there with Albert Belle and Geronimo Berroa.

Riemold's range (while certainly not spectacular) wasn't nearly the problem his penchant for bungling routine and semi-routine plays was.

40 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Jones' range in CF definitely is not good.  Any discussions about a contract extension need to make it very clear that his time in CF is over after this year.  Would love to see Mullins have a strong year in Bowie and be ready to make the team and take over next spring.

I'd disagree about the arm, though. The arm is still strong.

13 assists in 2015, then 4 and 5 the last two seasons.   The percentage of runners held went from 51.8% to 43.3% to 41.4%.   Fangraphs’ ARM stat went from 9.5 to -1.0 to -4.5.     

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Also agreed.  If anyone knows how, I'd be curious to learn the Statcast catch probability of the play.  I know it's two basic inputs are hang time and distance traveled, and suspect that hang time/distance combo does probably result in a relatively high one, but I haven't learned baseballsavant well enough yet to see if it was 64% or 91%.

The baseballsavant site categorized the hit probability as 81%.  

Archived