PressBox: D.J. Stewart Thinks He Could Help

weams

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like the guy, but he’s not ready.   Let him spend a year at Bowie/Norfolk and prove he’s better than the others (or some of them).

Unless we think it is going to retard his progress I'd rather see the kids than who we got out there now.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You are wrong about the defense.  The offense is coming around.  Stewart, Hays, and Mullins are off to slow starts also, but Santander is doing it against ML pitching.  

No I'm not. I've watched Santander make enough bone head plays in the OF to know that he's a bad defensive player. Not all bad plays show up on the box score as errors. And the difference between him and Stewart, Hays, and Mullins is that their team actually wanted them. Santander is just another team's cast off. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

A 20% strikeout rate in AAA is not terribly high.   League average in the International League is 23%.    I’d like to see Stewart’s other numbers improve, but his strikeout rate is not really an issue IMO.

It's alarming to me when he struck out 16% of the time in AA. He last struck out 20% of the time back to 2016 at A/A+.

So it worries me once he comes up to the majors. It's not quite Franchy Cordero bad, but then again DJ Stewart isn't Franchy Cordero good either. :shrug:

FWIW, it's not the only criteria I have for DJ Stewart. It's merely part of an otherwise lackluster portfolio.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

People can't wait to send Santander down. He's probably the best hitter of the whole bunch. 

7 hours ago, weams said:

He's great.

He's going to be really good, with some more seasoning.  We're asking a lot of him right now as a Rule 5 pick, but I look forward to him coming back once he's trained up some more in the minors.  

• 4 months later...
On 5/3/2018 at 9:21 AM, weams said:
o

D.J. Stewart Thinks He Could Help

o

o

Stewart wants to help ???

The Orioles have the worst record in the Major Leagues, so there's plenty of room (and need) for that.

BALTIMORE O RIOLES )))))))) (vs. ATHLETICS, 9/12)

Boyce Cedric Mullins - CF

Jonathan Rafael Villar Roque - 2B

Trey Mancini - DH

Adam Jones - RF

Chris Davis - 1B

Tim Beckham - SS

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWARLF

Robert Austin Wynns - C

Jace Peterson - 3B

Andrew Burton Cashner - RHP ) (4-14, 4.89 ERA)

OPPOSINPITCHER

Liam Johnson Hendriks - RHP ) (0-1, 6.32 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

• Upvote 1

o

Stewart's first career home run as a Major Leaguer gave the Orioles an early 1-0 lead against the Blue Jays.

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/19))))))))) 

NUMBER 1

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

DEMETRIUS JEROMSTEWART

o

Not that I would necessarily expect anything else but Stewart comes across as very likable. Nice post game interview, his smile never left his face. 

It is certainly much easier to root for young players looking for a chance instead of veterans on the downswing. His second at bat was a great one, about a 12 pitch at bat and rips a double. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1