O's said to be interested in Hanley Ramirez

Flacco Machado

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the O's claim the waiver they have to pay him.

Oh right, if he clears waivers (unlikely), then it 's the pro-rated minimum. My mistake.

That makes it less appealing.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, gtown said:

Claiming Hanley is not the dumbest idea in the world. There are reports that multiple teams are interested. The Orioles have waiver priority. If there are teams interested, flip him. I realize you're not going to get a lot, but the team that would trade for him gets him at the pro-rated minimum--that could bring back a low-level prospect, which is not nothing.

Worst case? Play him for a few weeks and hope he gets hot and then trade him (or cut him). It's not like he would be blocking a prospect.

I'm by no means suggesting it's a brilliant move, but it's at the very least worth considering.

O's are not going to any playoffs so why on earth would the FO even consider this? 

2 hours ago, joelala said:

I'm assuming we'd DFA Alvarez if we did this?  Hanley could play third?

I hope we don't, but I'm guessing they would view it as an upgrade over Alvarez if Hanley could be had for cheap.

But, obviously the question is, what would be the point? Talk about a band-aid over a bullet hole

Valencia, IMO. 

Alright so I guess you might say the downsides here seem pretty obvious:

34 years old 1B/DH.

.708 OPS

Making nearly $23M this year.....guess he has 2/3 or so left so let’s call it $16M.

But on the positive side.........ummmm...........

A little help?

I guess you could try and trade him and recover something for his non-existent excess value?

Archived