Britton is key

theobird

Britton's ability to come back and pitch well, is a huge key to our ability to re-stock the shelves. There will be several teams on the hunt for a lock down reliever before the trade deadline. The Cleveland Indians are the obvious ones that come to mind, but there are others. If Britton can pitch up to Britton's standards it would not be a stretch IMO, to see Cleveland part with Bieber, Chang/Jones plus a lower level guy for Britton. I think it is obvious that manny will be traded and command a nice return. That does not mean our super competent FO will get it done, but its obvious anyway. Getting a nice haul for Britton would be a huge deal. Heck, maybe you could include Brach in a deal with Britton and expand the return. Cleveland makes sense with that one too, since they are a very good team in every way, except a lousy bullpen.

Agreed.  Other than Machado, Britton is the only other player likely to be dealt capable of giving us a nice return at this point.  Brach, O'Day, even Jones aren't going to bring back much more than a C prospect or two. 

Britton has to perform like Britton though.  He can't be walking three batters an inning or putting up the 1.5 WHIP we saw in 2017.  Otherwise, he won't bring back any more in trade than the three aforementioned players. 

Machado should go somewhere for a haul, Britton would most likely go to Cleveland. Jones I think goes to AZ due to how bad their OF has been with Souza being hurt and sucking plus Pollock out and their window is closing fast. Brach could honestly go anywhere. O'Day could go to the Nats for some prospects too, depending on who they offer up. I could see us moving some starters too if teams like Milwaukee or the Suckkies go for Cashner or Gausman. 

We weren’t getting a big return for Britton last year, with a year left on his contract. Probably had a decent offer, but not huge. I’m not sure why to expect any organizational changing pull for Britton now, a month into a comeback from a second injury.

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Machado should go somewhere for a haul, Britton would most likely go to Cleveland. Jones I think goes to AZ due to how bad their OF has been with Souza being hurt and sucking plus Pollock out and their window is closing fast. Brach could honestly go anywhere. O'Day could go to the Nats for some prospects too, depending on who they offer up. I could see us moving some starters too if teams like Milwaukee or the Suckkies go for Cashner or Gausman. 

From Roch:

Duquette indicated that players under team control beyond the 2018 season aren’t involved in current discussions.

So probably no O'Day, Cashner or Gausman at the deadline.   Maybe in the off season.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From Roch:

So probably no O'Day, Cashner or Gausman at the deadline.   Maybe in the off season.

Stuff like that makes me think we have no shot of ever being relevant again. That is just crazy, and a total lack of vision. Just trade the guys whose value you have already deflated. Nice.

3 minutes ago, theobird said:

Stuff like that makes me think we have no shot of ever being relevant again. That is just crazy, and a total lack of vision. Just trade the guys whose value you have already deflated. Nice.

Maybe ownership has decided to let the new GM deal with the contracts that go passed the end of the season.   Duquette  may just deal with trading the O's FAs.

58 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From Roch:

Dammit every player should be on the trade block. But I don't see any player being traded. It's up to Angelos. 

8 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Depending on how this july goes, we could be competitive come 2020 

And if I grow another 2 feet by next year, I might be scouted by NBA teams.

If we are going 'all in' again for 2019 I think that just screams more of the 'sacrifice the future for the sake of the present' strategy that we've been doing for years and I can't see how that doesn't hurt our chances for 2020.

I think we missed the window (of course we did, we always do) on trading a power closer for a huge return.  Should have done it the year Chapman and Miller were netting awesome packages.  IIRC, we were hovering around .500 but not in a playoff hunt.

Would have been nice for the acquiring team to get someone that could be viewed as more than a rental.  

Oh well, people never learn.

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

And if I grow another 2 feet by next year, I might be scouted by NBA teams.

If we are going 'all in' again for 2019 I think that just screams more of the 'sacrifice the future for the sake of the present' strategy that we've been doing for years and I can't see how that doesn't hurt our chances for 2020.

Again, we're just talking hypotheticals until something happens. 

Archived