AJ knows Mullins "is knocking on the door."

Flacco Machado

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who would be, besides someone who’s otherwise not going to be in the majors?

My point is i question how much he "really would like to be back next year."  Obviously, he can't come out and say, "It's been real, Baltimore, but I'm outta' here."   I do give him credit for recognizing he can't own CF forever.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Flacco Machado said:

Adam, is always such a class act. He acknowledges, possibly a position switch, if he comes back. Interesting. I think we would all be for that and love to see him return.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-adam-jones-mullins-future-20180710-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

I have no problem if we resign Jones at the right price and with a move off of CF.

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Issue is a criteria has already been set. Have to be in HOF and Adam will fall short. No doubt he has made a tremendous impact.  

Yes, the numbers do fall short.

But, to me, and all of us, he has been more than that.

He was the beginning of a winning culture coming back after 14 years of losing.

Being an African American in today's game, is something to truly appreciate and uphold. And Adam does. He knows the history of the game and the hardships before him. 

I just think he transcends so much more. I'm thinking with my heart too much. For that, I apologize.

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Mussina will be an interesting topic of conversation if he eventually gets enshrined.   He is likely to be the next O put into Cooperstown.  Statue worthy?

Manny would also be a possibility too, but I doubt he spends most of his career here.  I love Jones and all he has done for the team and the city and I have no doubt he'll get a plaque on Eutaw Street someday as soon as he is eligible.

I don't think Mussina deserves a statue.  He didn't lead us to any World Series.  He had a big career with the Yankees.  He won't get a statue from the Yankees why should we give him one?

I think Jones is more at the Boog Powell level.  Great player who spent most of his career here and just below hall of fame level that is very likable guy.  Hopefully Adam has a place in the organization after he retires.  

31 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

It sounds like he's open to being back but also knows it's a business.  I don't think he'd be content playing on a team as bad as this next year.

Adam wouldn't look at coming back as being on a bad team, he would look at it as being a good team that just hasn't realized its potential.  Given the right moves he would come back thinking he could be integral in surprising everyone.  Unless they completely tear it down and have like a $70 million payroll.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't think Mussina deserves a statue.  He didn't lead us to any World Series.  He had a big career with the Yankees.  He won't get a statue from the Yankees why should we give him one?

I think Jones is more at the Boog Powell level.  Great player who spent most of his career here and just below hall of fame level that is very likable guy.  Hopefully Adam has a place in the organization after he retires.  

One big difference is that Boog had better teammates and played in an era (his own and the 10-12 years that followed) when there were many players on the team who were about as good as Boog was.    He doesn’t stand out in the way Adam does, because the team has had far fewer really good players who played here a long time in the last 15ish years.   

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think the statues should be reserved for players enshrined in Cooperstown.  It'll be another generation if that happens here.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One big difference is that Boog had better teammates and played in an era (his own and the 10-12 years that followed) when there were many players on the team who were about as good as Boog was.    He doesn’t stand out in the way Adam does, because the team has had far fewer really good players who played here a long time in the last 15ish years.   

Maybe they could name a part of the stadium after Jones after he retires.  Adam Jones flag court or something.  

15 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

Yes, the numbers do fall short.

But, to me, and all of us, he has been more than that.

He was the beginning of a winning culture coming back after 14 years of losing.

Being an African American in today's game, is something to truly appreciate and uphold. And Adam does. He knows the history of the game and the hardships before him. 

I just think he transcends so much more. I'm thinking with my heart too much. For that, I apologize.

No need to apologize, you make some great points.  

I just think in reference to the statues I think you need a certain requirement. If not you get caught up arguing over someone like Adam. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Maybe they could name a part of the stadium after Jones after he retires.  Adam Jones flag court or something.  

Perhaps they could label the back of the LH batter’s box the “Adam Jones Strikeout Zone.”

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I think the statues should be reserved for players enshrined in Cooperstown.  It'll be another generation if that happens here.

The point I was making was it could actually happen in just a couple of years.

22 minutes ago, esmd said:

I'd like to see Adam moved, just because he has some trade value, and I'd love to see him go to a playoff team and win a WS.  I wish it could've been with the Orioles, but such is life.  Wouldn't mind at all to see him do a Bordick and resign with us in the offseason to play LF or RF on a reasonable contract, assuming that there is a spot and Hays, Mullins, Stewart, etc., aren't all ready to play in 2019.  Although I think I'd still prefer the youth movement and to see which of them swim as opposed to sinking.  Either way, Adam has been a great player for this team when you take into account what he does on the field, in the clubhouse, in the community, etc.  We'll miss him when he's gone.

I'm really not sure how much trade value he has. He's got some as a veteran bat, but he'd be in the corner OF spot which any acquiring team hasn't seen him in. In theory it's easier than CF, but the angles are different. Plus, he's got a .307 OBP so even though he he's got a solid average and provides a bit of pop.

Ultimately, I think he could yield a reasonable relief prospect or a lottery ticket type talent. Is that worth dealing? Probably. But will I be upset if they hold him and resign him for a corner spot next year? Nope.

Archived