AJ knows Mullins "is knocking on the door."

Flacco Machado

2 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

Adam, is always such a class act. He acknowledges, possibly a position switch, if he comes back. Interesting. I think we would all be for that and love to see him return.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-adam-jones-mullins-future-20180710-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

I appreciate AJ, but he will not fit our roster. We need the OF open for younger guys. We already will have Davis, Trumbo, and Mancini on the same roster. Mountcastle also may a be a man without a position. Plus AJ's free swinging will not age well.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't think Mussina deserves a statue.  He didn't lead us to any World Series.  He had a big career with the Yankees.  He won't get a statue from the Yankees why should we give him one?

I think Jones is more at the Boog Powell level.  Great player who spent most of his career here and just below hall of fame level that is very likable guy.  Hopefully Adam has a place in the organization after he retires.  

You are letting your hatred of the Yankees cloud your thought process.

Mussina was screwed over by the owner.

Mussina also helped put the Orioles in back to back ALCS, and came close to being in the WS.

In 9 full seasons in B-More, he produced a 45.6 WAR, pretty damn good pitching, if you asked me

Mussina deserves to be in the HOF, as for what hat he wears, who knows what MLB will decide.

5 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'm really not sure how much trade value he has. He's got some as a veteran bat, but he'd be in the corner OF spot which any acquiring team hasn't seen him in. In theory it's easier than CF, but the angles are different. Plus, he's got a .307 OBP so even though he he's got a solid average and provides a bit of pop.

Ultimately, I think he could yield a reasonable relief prospect or a lottery ticket type talent. Is that worth dealing? Probably. But will I be upset if they hold him and resign him for a corner spot next year? Nope.

Perhaps the biggest benefit of moving him is it allows an easy transfer of CF right to Mullins. No drama.  

2 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I appreciate AJ, but he will not fit our roster. We need the OF open for younger guys. We already will have Davis, Trumbo, and Mancini on the same roster. Mountcastle also may a be a man without a position. Plus AJ's free swinging will not age well.

There are only 5 guys under contract for 2019, and 3 of those are pitchers.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You are letting your hatred of the Yankees cloud your thought process.

Mussina was screwed over by the owner.

Mussina also helped put the Orioles in back to back ALCS, and came close to being in the WS.

In 9 full seasons in B-More, he produced a 45.6 WAR, pretty damn good pitching, if you asked me

Mussina deserves to be in the HOF, as for what hat he wears, who knows what MLB will decide.

I definitely think Mussina belongs in the Hall of Fame.  I just don't think he deserves a statue. I  think he will be more remembered as a Yankee than an Oriole.    I mean if you want to build it for Yankees fans that come to the games.....

Just now, atomic said:

I definitely think Mussina belongs in the Hall of Fame.  I just don't think he deserves a statue. I  think he will be more remembered as a Yankee than an Oriole.    I mean if you want to build it for Yankees fans that come to the games.....

I want Mussina here with a statue here and in the Orioles HOF, because he deserves it, and its the right thing to do. IMO

There should be some demand for AJ.  Plenty of teams in the playoff chase could use a boost in the outfield.  Arizona, St Louis, Boston, Cleveland, Houston and Seattle all have an outfielder having a horrible year.  Jones would also be an improvement in the outfield for Atlanta, Washington and San Francisco. 

Boston and St Louis probably just go with Bradley and Fowler, have to think somebody seriously considers AJ given the number of teams that need to improve in the OF and could use a veteran presence with playoff experience. 

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

The discussion was about CF, but we've drifted out in left field here.  When do people expect Mullins will be ready to permanently replace Jones in CF?

With so much trade chatter going on, it's so hard to say.

What if we acquire Brett Phillips or Clint Frazier? That would really change things. Both, have MLB experience and you would think they would man CF, with Mullins playing LF. 

So much in the air, right now.

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

The discussion was about CF, but we've drifted out in left field here.  When do people expect Mullins will be ready to permanently replace Jones in CF?

I think he’s basically ready.    If Jones is traded I’d call him up immediately.  If Jones isn’t traded, I’d probably wait until rosters expand in September.    I’m sure Mullins will take a little time to adjust offensively, but he’ll be a big defensive upgrade immediately.   

9 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I'd give him a taste later this year with the hope of planting him there full time in 2019. 

44 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'm really not sure how much trade value he has. He's got some as a veteran bat, but he'd be in the corner OF spot which any acquiring team hasn't seen him in. In theory it's easier than CF, but the angles are different. Plus, he's got a .307 OBP so even though he he's got a solid average and provides a bit of pop.

Ultimately, I think he could yield a reasonable relief prospect or a lottery ticket type talent. Is that worth dealing? Probably. But will I be upset if they hold him and resign him for a corner spot next year? Nope.

How about a reverse Parra deal?  I'd take a Zach Davies-level SP prospect for Adam.  Yes, I know everyone here piles on DD for the deal, and I'm not going to defend it, but I don't think it's outside the realm of reality that Adam could bring a similar return in trade.

Archived