My thoughts on the trades.

Natty

Machado is already a superstar.. one who was going to leave in the offseason regardless.

Schoop is a solid (maybe above average) regular, but will never be a superstar. Keeping and paying guys like Schoop instead of trading them is what dooms rebuilds into years of mediocrity.

I'm finding that rebuilds are extremely difficult for loyal, passionate fans to grasp. Ya gotta let go and consider for a second that as emotionally invested fans we tend to vastly overrate guys like Schoop.

29 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Machado is already a superstar.. one who was going to leave in the offseason regardless.

If we were a perennial division winner or playoff team, Machado would have stayed as long as we matched other offers. Who wants to stay with a last place team?

13 minutes ago, Natty said:

If we were a perennial division winner or playoff team, Machado would have stayed as long as we matched other offers. Who wants to stay with a last place team?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. This WAS a last place team, and that was when we had Manny AND Schoop. Our run is up.. you can't be a division winner indefinitely.

26 minutes ago, Natty said:

Playing SS is more important to Manny than winning

Our run is up and no, you cannot win every year. Particularly in the AL East. That said, it's a real shame Pete didn't turn over control of the team 2-3 years ago. All of this could have been avoided with a competent FO. The economics of the Os situation make it a necessity to utilize all tools available, not just rule 5. The state of the minor leagues and the lack of interest in the international market are simply unforgivable. It amazes me how long this has gone on. The duration of this rebuild will depend on how smart the FO is. I sure hope Buck is gone at season's end and Brady is relegated to the weight room only. While I was underwhelmed by the deadline trades, I applaud the effort to change direction.

1 hour ago, Natty said:

I have a feeling that O's fans will be haunted for years, as we watch Machado and Schoop become real superstars, and none of the prospects we got for them pan out.

We will miss Manny but he was never signing with us.

I don't see Schoop as a good 2B in his 30's, and he is always going to be a high K/low OBP hitter no matter how many HR's he hits.

I love how everyone has been pressuring DD to rebuild, then he does it and now everyone is saying we will be haunted for years. Can't please anyone.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

We will miss Manny but he was never signing with us.

I don't see Schoop as a good 2B in his 30's, and he is always going to be a high K/low OBP hitter no matter how many HR's he hits.

I love how everyone has been pressuring DD to rebuild, then he does it and now everyone is saying we will be haunted for years. Can't please anyone.

Whaaaat? I still think the Orioles will sign him. Need someone to lead the young guys during the rebuild. Yes, he can play SS. Don’t tell him his buddy is gone. They got this.

?

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think Gausman will be the trade we regret the most. He will probably turn into an ACE with proper coaching and a solid defense behind him.  And we got nothing in return.  

He didn't accomplish that when he had both.  Weren't Wallace and Chiti proper coaching?  Wasn't an infield of Hardy, Schoop, Machado, Davis, and Wieters as good as he could have had it?  Adam Jones and Nick Markakis in the outfield?  I love Gausman, but he is what he is, a back of the rotation starter who can be a middle of the rotation guy at best.  He won't dominate all the time, but he provides innings as long as he's healthy.  Nothing about his profile suggests he was going to be more, and if he does it'll be because he's in the NL.  

2 hours ago, Natty said:

I have a feeling that O's fans will be haunted for years, as we watch Machado and Schoop become real superstars, and none of the prospects we got for them pan out.

I believe the odds of us signing Machado here for years to come in free agency are just as good now as they were on July 1st........if that's any consolation.   At least we'll get prospects instead of nothing.

Oh and to be clear, those odds are 0%.

Archived