Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Sydnor said:

It’s hard to prove you can hit left handed pitching if your manager concludes that you can’t hit left handed pitching after 20 at bats. It makes a lot of sense to give those at bats to Rickard and Andreoli because they clearly haven’t tapped into their potential yet ?.

Buck needs to go

and I hate to see guys like Hays and Mountcastle have to play for Buck even for a month. How many of the rookie pitchers has he given his TTP spiel too?

Buck needs to go

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Just putting it out there incase Buck reads this board during the game, since he doesn't seem to pay attention during it.

He simply desires to know more about Andreoli's #wantto .  Is that so wrong?  btw - AW did play so there is that!  ?

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm not sure where you heard VVM has double plus run and arm, but I haven't heard or read that.

An article quoting Badler. I will look for it, but couldn’t find it right away to add to this response. There isn’t enough video that I can find to confirm, but will also look for that. 

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

He simply desires to know more about Andreoli's #wantto .  Is that so wrong?  btw - AW did play so there is that!  ?

And played well both defensively and with the bat (was robbed twice by fabulous plays in RF by Gamul). He's beginning to look quietly confident. I'm sure Joseph must be a good mentor, too.

o

A solo shot to lead off the game.

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/18)

NUMBER 4

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

BOYCE CEDRIC MULLINS

o

• 4 weeks later...

Fun aside (for me at least). I just had a meeting with a graduate student at the university where I work. I was asking about his academic background and he told me he got his undergrad degree from Cambbell University and then said, "I'm sure you have never heard of that school before." I countered with, "Do you know who Cedric Mullins is?". The kid didn't know Mullins, but was impressed I knew the school because I'm a Baltimore Oriole fan. Cedric has definitely done well for himself. 

• 2 months later...

A big question to be answered this year is whether Mullins can learn to hit LHP.   Here are some splits:

DEL 2016:  .217/.282/.350

BOW 2017: .208/.277/.327

BOW 2018: .300/.317/.525

NOR 2018:  .220/.322/.340

BAL 2018:  .156/.296/.156

One of these things is not like the others.    I’ve got three observations about that:

1.   2018 Bowie was the only time Mullins was repeating a level.   In all the other situations Mullins was adjusting to a new level of competition.   

2.   Mullins’ approach vs. LHP was much more aggressive at 2018 Bowie than any other situation.   In all the others, his BA was low but he walked a lot.   At Bowie in 2018, he only walked once as a RHB and his BA was much higher.   

3.   The sample size at Bowie 2018 is very limited — only 41 PA.   So, the better results are pretty likely to be a fluke.  

In short, I’m pretty pessimistic that Mullins can hit LHP, but 2018 Bowie results say maybe you give him one more shot now that he’s not adjusting to a new level.    Another option, of course, is to try Mullins as a LHB vs. LHP rather than continuing to switch-hit.    

Archived