Ex-Orioles in the postseason

Moose Milligan

7 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Harper has had a very interesting career. I don’t think too many people thinks he’s as good as Manny, but his two best years are better than any year Manny has ever had. Outside of his two great years, he’s been very average. 

With that being said, I get the feeling Harper’s more box office than Manny. He’s the one I see in commercials. 

MFY are a good fit for Harper. They need a LH power bat. He makes more sense for them than Manny.

Believe it or not, Manny the D-bag might actually put more fans in the seats of the team that signs him than a bland, non-controversial player with the same talent (or more talent, like Trout) might.

Baseball has an aging fan base that is basically  dominated by 50+ year old white guys.   That's not a positive if you want to see teams putting 2 million fans in the seats in 2030, given shifting demographics.   

A team that signs Manny might find that an edgy, young, non-conforming player of Latin American descent might bring a bunch of fans into the park that had never attended before.

We've "known" Manny for years but for millions and millions of casual fans, this postseason is their first introduction to him beyond a name in a box score and "that guy who always made ESPN Top 10 Plays" at 3rd base.  He's established a brand, and while that brand screams "selfish jerk" to a lot of longtime fans, it might bring a younger demographic in to being fans.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Believe it or not, Manny the D-bag might actually put more fans in the seats of the team that signs him than a bland, non-controversial player with the same talent (or more talent, like Trout) might.

Baseball has an aging fan base that is basically  dominated by 50+ year old white guys.   That's not a positive if you want to see teams putting 2 million fans in the seats in 2030, given shifting demographics.   

A team that signs Manny might find that an edgy, young, non-conforming player of Latin American descent might bring a bunch of fans into the park that had never attended before.

We've "known" Manny for years but for millions and millions of casual fans, this postseason is their first introduction to him beyond a name in a box score and "that guy who always made ESPN Top 10 Plays" at 3rd base.  He's established a brand, and while that brand screams "selfish jerk" to a lot of longtime fans, it might bring a younger demographic in to being fans.

Interesting point, but won’t there also be some of those aging fans who will pass on the Manny Era? While widening the net of prospective fans is certainly a positive goal, would alienating another set of fans ultimately a wise thing? I would think you’d need to save some of your existing fan base if you gamble on potential new ones who want the edgy bad guy. Just a thought. I certainly am not a demographics student. 

Really happy for Steve Pearce. He deserved his moment (and a ring). 

I’m visiting Los Angeles right now, and even before the Series started or his “Johnny Hustle” comment, it was amazing how quickly Machado wore out his welcome here. I talked to a bunch of fans here (my Orioles cap starts a ton of conversations) who almost all said they loved him for the first few months but they saw him loaf or just act like a jerk enough times that he just fell out of favor. And they were especially disgusted with his attitude in the postseason. The bar I was at for game 3 were screaming bloody murder at him when he only got a single out of the ball he hit off the left field wall. A few people commented to me, “You guys sure got the better end of that trade.” 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I’m visiting Los Angeles right now, and even before the Series started or his “Johnny Hustle” comment, it was amazing how quickly Machado wore out his welcome here. I talked to a bunch of fans here (my Orioles cap starts a ton of conversations) who almost all said they loved him for the first few months but they saw him loaf or just act like a jerk enough times that he just fell out of favor. And they were especially disgusted with his attitude in the postseason. The bar I was at for game 3 were screaming bloody murder at him when he only got a single out of the ball he hit off the left field wall. A few people commented to me, “You guys sure got the better end of that trade.” 

Without Manny the Dodgers are a wildcard team, maybe even out of the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Except they might well have missed the playoffs without Manny.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Perhaps, but I think modeling his career after someone like Ken Griffey, Jr. or Derek Jeter would be a lot more sustaining not to mention lucrative.  The selfish jerk demographic can be fickle given the abundance of selfish jerks screaming for their attention.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Without Manny the Dodgers are a wildcard team, maybe even out of the playoffs.

Agreed, he really helped them when they needed it most. A lot of Dodgers fans seem to think they were bound to make the postseason one way or another but bound to lose once they got there. Personally I wish Milwaukee had made it through instead of LA.

49 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Perhaps, but I think modeling his career after someone like Ken Griffey, Jr. or Derek Jeter would be a lot more sustaining not to mention lucrative.  The selfish jerk demographic can be fickle given the abundance of selfish jerks screaming for their attention.

Worked out pretty well for Reggie Jackson.