Britt Ghiroli Appreciation Thread

TGO

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/28/2018 at 9:36 AM, Ballmer Bruce said:

Rock & Roll died  to  me when Mick Taylor left the Stones

Not that I agree but I'm surprised when anyone knows who Mick Taylor is. I think Ron Wood was a major upgrade for the whole band, Brian included.

On 11/28/2018 at 12:14 PM, Going Underground said:

I would like her better if she didn't go to Michigan State.?.Go Blue.I guess not as bad as Ohio State.She was a good reporter and will be missed. Baltimore has few good baseball reporters left.

If God isn't a Penn State fan then why is the sky blue and white?

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

Not that I agree but I'm surprised when anyone knows who Mick Taylor is. I think Ron Wood was a major upgrade for the whole band, Brian included.

I like Woody, but I think his best work was in The Faces. Consider this. The period spanning Taylor's era (Let It Bleed through It's Only Rock and Roll, ie '69 - '74) contains pretty much what's acknowledged to be the Stones golden era. Goats Head Soup and IORR had its moments, but I'm talking LIB through Exile on Main St. (Beggars Banquet for ''68 is included in that era, but Taylor joined mid '69).  Their current day set list is heavily from the records from that six year span. Brian Jones was vastly underrated and under-appreciated not only by the public, but by his own band, but Mick Taylor was a breath of fresh air and it energized Keith. Ron is a great foil (better fit as one of the "lads") and a lot of fun for Keith, but he never challenged him the way Taylor did. 

Meh, The Athletic really doesn't offer anything that is worth paying $60/year. Yes they pretty much hired all the writers after the ESPN layoffs (shocker)... but I guess their business model is to hire all the writers they can and hope that people feel obligated to now purchase a subscription because they "liked" that writer.  Also, note that one of the biggest critics of The Athletic was the lack of female writers and coverage of female sports.

I enjoyed reading Britt's articles as well as seeing her videos on MLB.com and wish her well on her new venture but honestly I am sure the next person will do just fine.

16 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Meh, The Athletic really doesn't offer anything that is worth paying $60/year. Yes they pretty much hired all the writers after the ESPN layoffs (shocker)... but I guess their business model is to hire all the writers they can and hope that people feel obligated to now purchase a subscription because they "liked" that writer.  Also, note that one of the biggest critics of The Athletic was the lack of female writers and coverage of female sports.

I enjoyed reading Britt's articles as well as seeing her videos on MLB.com and wish her well on her new venture but honestly I am sure the next person will do just fine.

If you believe there's no distinction between one writer and the next, then by all means save your money.

2 hours ago, Mayor McCheese said:

You can get the first year for 39 bucks....just saying.  

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, tntoriole said:

You can get the first year for 39 bucks....just saying.  

23 hours ago, interloper said:

I think I'm on 90 days for $1 trial. Gets me through the majority of off season.

Yeah most first year rates are between $30-$45 (which is reasonable) but I just don't see anything that they offer is really worth paying for yet.  Yes they talked about adding video(s) for which I am sure will be a great feature but it will also increase/double your sub rate.

Archived