O’s claim 3B Rio Ruiz

Frobby

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hyde platooned Ruiz and Valaika in the first series.   With Ruiz's history of not hitting lefties that could continue.

As long as we have 14 position players you can probably play a platoon.   Once the roster is down to 26 three weeks from Fridayand we have 12 or 13 it will be tougher.

13 hours ago, interloper said:

15-20 bombs in 60 games would be incredible!! ?

Was speaking in general ..... Anybody who reaches 10 will have had a very good season in terms of power. 

Im not excited about Ruiz if we can’t get the .270/.330 guy. The Orioles have had way too many poor hitting power guys.

21 hours ago, makoman said:

Vlad Jr. hit .272/.339/.433 with 15 homers and poor defense mostly at 3rd with some DHing, was worth 1.5 bWAR and 0.4 fWAR, so that shows a base value for that line. I can't really get a handle on how good Ruiz's defense is, last year BR thought it was a negative but fangraphs a positive. Ruiz was actually worth 0.4 fWAR as well batting only .232/.306/.376 so of course his defense was way better than Vlad's in their eyes. If he can get to that line he may be around a 2 WAR guy which would be great for a waiver claim to become.

Yeah ...Vladimir should probably be moved to 1B, COF, or DH. I would expect his bat to improve dramatically. He OPS .940+  in the minors compared to Ruiz .740+. In the end Ruiz won’t ever have the stick that Vladimir Jr has. 

I've never been a big Ruiz fan, but am I wrong in saying he looks a lot better - he looks like he's put the work in in the gym, and he looks more confident at the plate - perhaps because of the work he put in in the gym.  Or maybe it's the hair. ?  It's early - we'll see.  He's just turned 26, so he's young enough to be part of the O's future.    

8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/30)

NUMBER 3

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

RIO NOBLE RUIZ

o

From Roch during the delay:. Rio is the 4th Oriole ever who started a season with at least his first 3 hits being a home run.  Milt Pappas actually had 4.  Boog and Mike Devereaux and now Rio had HRs for their first 3 hits of the season.

Rio's streak ended when he singled in his next at bat tonight.

• Thanks 1

Nice PA given the layoff.  He was a Coby Mayo style bonus baby back in the day, clearly the bronze guy bonus-wise that Correa/McCullers year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?team_ID=HOU&year_ID=2012&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year&from_type_jc=0&from_type_hs=0&from_type_4y=0&from_type_unk=0

If I toggle to 2012's 4th round, the only other $1M guy was Ty Buttrey.

I didn't see anyone in the 2nd or 3rd round that year above his $1.85M, and sorting the 1st round the $1.85 seems to have been about the 22nd largest bonus overall that year.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Nice PA given the layoff.  He was a Coby Mayo style bonus baby back in the day, clearly the bronze guy bonus-wise that Correa/McCullers year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?team_ID=HOU&year_ID=2012&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year&from_type_jc=0&from_type_hs=0&from_type_4y=0&from_type_unk=0

If I toggle to 2012's 4th round, the only other $1M guy was Ty Buttrey.

I didn't see anyone in the 2nd or 3rd round that year above his $1.85M, and sorting the 1st round the $1.85 seems to have been about the 22nd largest bonus overall that year.

He was a first round prospect but had a blood clot in his clavicle end his senior season in March.

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He was a first round prospect but had a blood clot in his clavicle end his senior season in March.

His August/September SLG and K/BB didn't really make it to my radar until of all things roto-prep last month, and he's sort of played his way into the Santander maybe gray area for me for the Rutschman Supporting Cast.

There's like a few of the multi-verses where next week there could be a lineup like

CF Hays, RF Santander, 1B Mountcastle, DH Nunez, 3B Ruiz, SS Barreto, LF Diaz, 2B Alberto, C whoever

I imagine not having given up the ghost after 8 years Elias must be loving the early returns.

On 8/7/2020 at 7:48 PM, OrioleDog said:

His August/September SLG and K/BB didn't really make it to my radar until of all things roto-prep last month, and he's sort of played his way into the Santander maybe gray area for me for the Rutschman Supporting Cast.

There's like a few of the multi-verses where next week there could be a lineup like

CF Hays, RF Santander, 1B Mountcastle, DH Nunez, 3B Ruiz, SS Barreto, LF Diaz, 2B Alberto, C whoever

I imagine not having given up the ghost after 8 years Elias must be loving the early returns.

Can't help but think a bit about an opening day lineup next year that looks like:

CF Hays, 2B Alberto, RF Santander, 1B Mancini, DH, Nunez, 3B Ruiz, C Rutchman, LF Mountcastle, SS Inglasias.  

The possibilities....