Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

If there is a leash it is 5 years long. What can you do with him if he continues to not hit?  We won't have a better defensive 1B than him this year or next anyway.  Chris Davis will be in the lineup and at First Base for the majority of the next 5 years unless he retires.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's a lot of reason to be down on the big guy after the year he had.  I have a hunch that he's in for a big year, though.  I don't think he's one to not work hard in an offseason.

I predict 35 bombs, a .250 average with a .350 on base.  One thing I like about Davis is that his on base percentage isn't propped up by his batting average.

Davis' OBA is propped up by the home runs. If he starts hitting 20 HRs, pitchers won't be walking him half as much.

I'd rather 35 HRs, a .330 average with a .350 OBA. (Though I realize that will not happen.)

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Someone should start a poll: What year will he either be DFA'd or traded with O's still paying majority of his contract? 2019, 2020, 2021

I think he'll be out of baseball sometime in 2020

What year did Jiminez get DFA'ed by the Orioles?  I expect as long as Angelos is the owner we have Davis for his entire contract.   

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Davis' OBA is propped up by the home runs. If he starts hitting 20 HRs, pitchers won't be walking him half as much.

I'd rather 35 HRs, a .330 average with a .350 OBA. (Though I realize that will not happen.)

Has any player ever had that profile?    I think it’s almost impossible to hit .330 with 35 homers and only put up a .350 OBP.    Heck, finding guys who hit .330 with 35 homers is pretty hard.  This decade, only three players have done it (Charlie Blackmon, Bryce Harper and Miguel Cabrera twice).   They all had OBP’s of .393 or better.

One thing that managers/GMs/Owners are not very good at realizing is that the players salary is a sunk cost - the team is going to pay the same amount (taking performance bonuses out of the equation) no matter the output/productivity of the player.  Thus in a perfect world the decision to sit player making $20m (?) per year is solely based upon trying to win a game or set of games) and is not an admission by management on there organizational capabilities (Ego).  Trying to win should come before trying to prove ones self correct.

2 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

Something in my gut says Davis is going to have a bounce-back year.  I think he hits over 35 HRs and a .335 OBP.  My dream is he hits like 45 HRs and a .350 OBP, and then we are able to trade him.

I dont know, I sure hope so.  The best thing that can happen to the Orioles right now, even more so than trading Jones, Manny, Brach and/or Schoop would be Davis getting back to it.  We will need to score a ton of runs for the foreseeable future ....If he could be a normal contributing offensive player for the duration of his contract it would fix a lot of problems, outlandish salary aside.  

23 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

Something in my gut says Davis is going to have a bounce-back year.  I think he hits over 35 HRs and a .335 OBP.  My dream is he hits like 45 HRs and a .350 OBP, and then we are able to trade him.

I don't think we'll ever be able to trade him.  Maybe if we eat a lot of the salary.  But while Davis is capable of such highs his lows are too low.