Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

8 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

Especially if you're getting it all up front. The difference can be made up with some kind of managed investment account with any number of well known firms fairly easily.

If this year hasn't embarrassed him next year wont. Nor the next or the next.

Edited by El Gordo

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Would you accept a lower amount, if your work offered you this?

Would you want to show up for the next 4 years knowing you aren't going to play? I know I would take 75 cents on the dollar to walk away . If you could. Do that you are probably not a competitor.

Davis knows he's likely done.....and I'm not contracted......when I am no longer valuable my company would let me go and my compensation would end that day. Baseball is broken 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Would you want to show up for the next 4 years knowing you aren't going to play? I know I would take 75 cents on the dollar to walk away . If you could. Do that you are probably not a competitor.

Davis knows he's likely done.....and I'm not contracted......when I am no longer valuable my company would let me go and my compensation would end that day. Baseball is broken 

I dont share that opinion.

When it comes to providing for your family, you do what you have to do, to collect that pay check.

My previous job was changed, and while I am with the same company, I am still more than productive, just not the position that I had enjoyed, thankfully at the same wage scale, but I am keeping my mouth shut and when I can legally retire soon, I will.

I do not see the Orioles giving him a 75 cent on the dollar to walk away, its not happening.

33 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I really doubt that Davis himself has come to that conclusion. He can always point to the 2014 season (.196 BA, etc.) and say he came back from that. Or point to a few better weeks this season as reason to hope he still has it. Buck and others will probably support the effort. Does Tillman know he's done yet?

Brooks Robinson is a model of humility and someone I revere, but take a look at the stats for his last three seasons. And he didn't even have a mega-salary to keep playing for.

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I really doubt that Davis himself has come to that conclusion. He can always point to the 2014 season (.196 BA, etc.) and say he came back from that. Or point to a few better weeks this season as reason to hope he still has it. Buck and others will probably support the effort. Does Tillman know he's done yet?

Brooks Robinson is a model of humility and someone I revere, but take a look at the stats for his last three seasons. And he didn't even have a mega-salary to keep playing for.

Brooks had lost a lot of money due to poor investments.  He needed those paychecks and he knew he wasn't much of a player at the end.

Brooks continuing to play was financial even though in today's terms it wouldn't appear that way.  It is hard to believe that guys who played the game at his level frequently needed jobs after baseball to support a family.  According to baseball reference, in 1964, when Brooks won the AL MVP, his salary was $35,000.  For the year.  His last salary was $120,000 in 1977.

In contrast, Chris Davis at $21MM and change earns $130,000 every day whether the Orioles play him or not.

I stand corrected: I thought Brooks' financial problems occured after his retirement. Nonetheless, there are, of course, countless other examples of players who held on long after they had faded.

I still think it's very possible that Davis still believes he can make a respectable comeback, just as Tillman felt he could. Additionally, he has that fantastic salary and certain people in his environment to encourage him in the wrong direction.

1 hour ago, Mondo Trasho said:

Especially if you're getting it all up front. The difference can be made up with some kind of managed investment account with any number of well known firms fairly easily.

Do the O's really have the liquidity to just make an $80 million payout like that up front? No idea how the Os organization works, but I would doubt that this is a realistic option; or at least not one that could be arranged without some significant internal moves. Probably would have to finance it with debt, which would mean you're just paying debt service instead of contractual payments over the next few years...

36 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Brooks continuing to play was financial even though in today's terms it wouldn't appear that way.  It is hard to believe that guys who played the game at his level frequently needed jobs after baseball to support a family.  According to baseball reference, in 1964, when Brooks won the AL MVP, his salary was $35,000.  For the year.  His last salary was $120,000 in 1977.

In 1964, the average American family had an income of $4,576.  in 1977, it was $9,779.  It's certainly not the crazy money that players make today, but professional athletes were still well paid when compared to the average worker.

39 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

In 1964, the average American family had an income of $4,576.  in 1977, it was $9,779.  It's certainly not the crazy money that players make today, but professional athletes were still well paid when compared to the average worker.

Oh sure, that is fair.  Absolutely.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Six figures!