Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 hour ago, nate22 said:

"Streak" aside, if bunting is going to help the team, maybe he should try it.  This streak has taken a life of it's own, maybe Davis can try to do something that will help the club win if he's going to refuse a demotion or buyout. At the very worst, he might be able to put runners in scoring position for someone else to try and score them. Trying to win games should take precedence over him getting a hit and who knows?; maybe both can happen this way.

This is exactly how I feel.  Isn't the goal of sports and being on a team to WIN the game?  And to do whatever you possibly can to help your team win?  This is not golf and he is not operating on his own island.  I don't care about balls off the bat that "should" have been hits.  I care about.....actual hits.  Situations where hitters reach the base before the ball gets to the glove of the man standing there. 

Davis' money is locked in.  His legacy, sadly, is locked in.  If there is nobody on the left side of the infield, why not at least try to put one down? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I think you're mistakenly grouping me in with some other posters. Back then, I actually thought it was a neat idea. All I meant was it pales in comparison to the potential of the type of work that is being done now with Davis. (Who I suggest, nonetheless, is trying to launch a revolution in baseball stats.)

Fair enough.   My comment was a general one which, while triggered by your post, wasn’t really directed at you.    And I take your point.    You kind of get the feeling that the last few years before 2019 we’ve been bring butter knives to a gun fight in terms of the analytic tools utilized by our players compared to the majority of other teams.    But now we’ll see if the new toys actually lead to improvements from our players.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fair enough.   My comment was a general one which, while triggered by your post, wasn’t really directed at you.    And I take your point.    You kind of get the feeling that the last few years before 2019 we’ve been bring butter knives to a gun fight in terms of the analytic tools utilized by our players compared to the majority of other teams.    But now we’ll see if the new toys actually lead to improvements from our players.

Yes, let's see. Imagine the kudos and cred to be won by the new management if they actually get him going again: the press is all set up.

7 minutes ago, mdoriolefan said:

3KxofSo.jpg

Somebody needs to get on the horn with this guy.  Maybe for a few bones he can work with Chris.  He should have some time on his hands now.

Ichiro would not have been a very valuable player if he were a defensively challenged first baseman. Davis needs to hit and hit for power or be cut. 

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I hate to see the O's waste resources trying to "save" Chris Davis.  He's probably around a .100 hitter.  That would be like dumping major resources into trying to make a 26 year old A ball player into a major leaguer.  Of course its not my money.  I had hopes (probably unrealistic) over the winter that Davis could be a replacement level player, but he's just done.  Its like trying to watch a guy who should have retired a couple of years ago, try to "save" his career.

First off, this is a sadly cynical post.  Second, in terms of assets they is no bigger sunk cost right now than Davis.  Figuring out how to get some value is actually an effective use of time.  And third, I doubt they are doing this at the expense of their overall plan.

The fact is, figuring out what happened to Davis, despite there not being huge changes in a lot of his metrics is probably one of the best things to do to advance the understanding of advanced sabermetrics.  In science you get theories that hopefully match the data, but when the data present an anomaly (as Davis is) you have to further your understanding to account.

• Upvote 2

Glad that's over. Thought the players' reaction in the dugout was awesome. Hopefully now he can settle in, see the ball and just react.

As an aside, I almost feel that the poster who announces our players' HRs in repeated, font-increasing, colorful, full names (O's Fan From The 80s? Perhaps thinking of someone else) should give this the same treatment...CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS (x5)....2-RUN SINGLE TO RIGHT. Hey, might provide some extra mojo. ☺️

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

First off, this is a sadly cynical post.  Second, in terms of assets they is no bigger sunk cost right now than Davis.  Figuring out how to get some value is actually an effective use of time.  And third, I doubt they are doing this at the expense of their overall plan.

The fact is, figuring out what happened to Davis, despite there not being huge changes in a lot of his metrics is probably one of the best things to do to advance the understanding of advanced sabermetrics.  In science you get theories that hopefully match the data, but when the data present an anomaly (as Davis is) you have to further your understanding to account.

I was going to bold the parts I agree with here, but I love all of this post.

I've mentioned it a few times, but I definitely think some folks misunderstand the concept of "sunk costs," as it pertains to Davis.  If we were somehow throwing good money after bad, or costing ourselves games at a time of legitimate hope to compete, that would be one thing, but it costs us nothing at this point to see if he can still be the guy who earned the moniker "Crush."