Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

I'm not so sure that the MLBPA would allow a settlement.  Is there a precedent for such a settlement?  I don't know.

I believe the Orioles reached a settlement/agreement with Sid Fernandez and Ponson in the past.  Terms unknown.  

If Davis really stinks it up again and Elias cannot release him, I think what we see is Davis being the 25th man on the roster and rarely plays.  Obviously the Orioles would love for Davis to walk away with some kind of settlement.  If he can't hit, eventually you have to release him, addition by subtraction.  

21 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

I believe the Orioles reached a settlement/agreement with Sid Fernandez and Ponson in the past.  Terms unknown.  

If Davis really stinks it up again and Elias cannot release him, I think what we see is Davis being the 25th man on the roster and rarely plays.  Obviously the Orioles would love for Davis to walk away with some kind of settlement.  If he can't hit, eventually you have to release him, addition by subtraction.  

O's cut him for violation of his contract and he fought it, winning some sort of settlement.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

O's cut him for violation of his contract and he fought it, winning some sort of settlement.

It was reported that he received "much of the salary he was owed." Reading between the lines, that would imply between 60-80%.  I would probably guess on the low end there because I suspect the O's had a decent casea, but they paid out because they didn't want to be potentially on the hook for 100% of his remaining contract while he was drunk and angry.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Among other things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Ponson

Brushes with the law

On December 25, 2004, Ponson was arrested in Aruba and charged with assaulting an Aruban judge following an incident about a complaint of Ponson's handling of his powerboat. He spent 11 days in jail, but the charges were dropped after he reached a settlement that included restitution, community service and contributions to local charities on the island.

Less than a month later, in January 2005, he was charged with driving under the influence in Broward County, Florida. Because of these activities, it was thought that he would not be able to enter Canada to pitch in a series against the Toronto Blue Jays in May 2005.[3][4] However, a visa was later granted, and he was able to make his scheduled start.[citation needed]

Early in the morning of August 25, 2005, Ponson was arrested again for driving under the influence and driving while impaired on southbound Interstate 95near downtown Baltimore. He was stopped for following too closely and was subsequently arrested by Maryland Transportation Authority Police for the traffic violation and DWI; he was later released.[5]

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nope.  I imagine it is to some extent.

Still?  I remember reading somewhere a while back (don't ask for a link) that player insurance premiums have gone through the roof.  Davis' contract is a money pit.  I would pause before chasing it with even more money in premiums if I were making the decisions..

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Still?  I remember reading somewhere a while back (don't ask for a link) that player insurance premiums have gone through the roof.  Davis' contract is a money pit.  I would pause before chasing it with even more money in premiums if I were making the decisions..

Remember how much the Belle insurance plan paid off for Angelos?