Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

Frobby

Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/28/19 at 16:20

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Wieters was very robotic and upright in his movements.  Not as much behind the plate but running and things like that.  His swing wasn’t great, he was slow and never appeared to me to be someone who could transition anywhere else on the Diamond and be good.  

I felt his athleticism or lack there of would stop him from being the guy people thought he was in the minors.  I was actually very surprised to see him in person and see how underwhelming he was.

Lol.  Gotta time stamp on that?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Sure…go back to the thread that from when he debuted in the majors.  

So, you're claiming in his debut game, which was against Verlander if I remember, you predicted his lack of athleticism would keep him from being the guy people thought he was in the minors?

28 minutes ago, Pickles said:

So, you're claiming in his debut game, which was against Verlander if I remember, you predicted his lack of athleticism would keep him from being the guy people thought he was in the minors?

Just felt he was overrated and that the hype was too much once I got a look at him.  

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just felt he was overrated and that the hype was too much once I got a look at him.  

Jeez, Mr. Karnak, maybe you could have spoken up 14 years ago and spared those professional baseball scouts all that trouble from Wieters and his 18 WAR he provided. And to think we could have drafted Matt LaPorta instead. Well, hindsight and all…

• Haha 1

Wieters was no Casey Kotchman. That’s for sure. 

I think this is the kind of move the Orioles have to make to stay competitive down the line. They have to take chances. Small market clubs don’t compete for FA at the highest level. Plus it eliminates the incentive to keep him in the minors. 

But his agent probably wants to see what the new CBA looks like before committing to a long term deal. 

33 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Wieters was no Casey Kotchman. That’s for sure. 

I think this is the kind of move the Orioles have to make to stay competitive down the line. They have to take chances. Small market clubs don’t compete for FA at the highest level. Plus it eliminates the incentive to keep him in the minors. 

But his agent probably wants to see what the new CBA looks like before committing to a long term deal. 

Even if the Orioles wanted to sign AR right now to an early extension, there’s little chance his agent would advise AR to sign until a new CBA is agreed upon between owners and the players union.  

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Wieters was very robotic and upright in his movements.  Not as much behind the plate but running and things like that.  His swing wasn’t great, he was slow and never appeared to me to be someone who could transition anywhere else on the Diamond and be good.  

I felt his athleticism or lack there of would stop him from being the guy people thought he was in the minors.  I was actually very surprised to see him in person and see how underwhelming he was.

That makes sense.  To be honest though, I had difficulty wrapping my head around it, because the 2 most athletic things a catcher can do (stop pitches in the dirt and his pop time on SB attempts) Wieters was far above average.  But then you watch him run and you're like "how is this guy a pro athlete?"

5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

That makes sense.  To be honest though, I had difficulty wrapping my head around it, because the 2 most athletic things a catcher can do (stop pitches in the dirt and his pop time on SB attempts) Wieters was far above average.  But then you watch him run and you're like "how is this guy a pro athlete?"

And it’s not like I didn’t think he would be good but the whole Mauer with Power thing was completely overblown imo.  I bought into the hype  at first but once I saw him, he just didn’t look the part for me.  

It always surprised me that so many scouts missed on that one.  Good player?  Of course.  Generational, HOF talent?  No way.  

I would still rate him very high, if not at the top, of biggest disappointments in Os history.  He wasn’t a bust but he wasn’t the player we thought and needed him to be.  Not sure he should go over Hammonds though.

42 minutes ago, Hallas said:

“Athletic” is one of those terms that means different things to different people.   To me, it means someone who is fast, strong and well-coordinated and could apply those tools to just about any sport.    

46 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm not gonna go back and comb through old threads, but I'll vouch for Sports Guy that yes, he was vocal pretty quickly that he thought Wieters bat was slow and that he looked quite unathletic.

There was alot of comments about his bat looking slow his first few weeks and I remember someone posting that the YES announcers mentioned it on their telecast. 

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And it’s not like I didn’t think he would be good but the whole Mauer with Power thing was completely overblown imo.  I bought into the hype  at first but once I saw him, he just didn’t look the part for me.  

It always surprised me that so many scouts missed on that one.  Good player?  Of course.  Generational, HOF talent?  No way.  

I would still rate him very high, if not at the top, of biggest disappointments in Os history.  He wasn’t a bust but he wasn’t the player we thought and needed him to be.  Not sure he should go over Hammonds though.

I find it really, really hard to apply the "bust" label to a player that that had seasons of 5.7, 4.5, and 3.1 WAR while under team control.   I get the idea that he underperformed expectations, but maybe expectations were dumb if we were expecting him to be Johnny Bench because of one season in AA.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Wow, there are a lot more players that I can think of off the top of my head that were disappointing in their O's careers after being top prospects.  Adam Loewen comes to mind.  He was supposed to be a top of the rotation starter and I'm not sure he ever pitched for the O's more than a couple of games. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Wow, there are a lot more players that I can think of off the top of my head that were disappointing in their O's careers after being top prospects.  Adam Loewen comes to mind.  He was supposed to be a top of the rotation starter and I'm not sure he ever pitched for the O's more than a couple of games. 

They got a half a season out of him in 2006.

He ended up with 29 games started as an O's.  His arm just couldn't handle the stress.