DL Hall 2019

weams

7 hours ago, atomic said:

You can win championships without a player in Mike Mussina caliber.  He has over 80 career WAR and is Hall of Famer.  To hope anyone to achieve that will lead to great disappointment. I would be overjoyed if anyone ends up being the next Cuellar or Flanagan. 

In a vacuum, I think you're right, we should be "pleased" if Hall turns out like Bedard. It's hard to have great expectations of a kid playing in Frederick. 

However, in the grand scheme of things, we need someone, and likely multiple guys, to be better than Bedard if our organization wants to take a big step up in competitiveness. We're going against guys like Price, Snell, Sale and Tanaka every year in this division. You can hope to piece it together like Buck was able to do for a while, but that's a really hard way to go. It would be awesome if at least one of these guys turns into a horse for this team. 

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's almost like one site had Hall the #1 prospect in the system? ;) 

Good to see him taking some more steps forward. I'm going to try and watch the video tonight, but Luke's glowing review certainly is exciting.

You guys are routinely better than the industry on these lists. 

14 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You guys are routinely better than the industry on these lists. 

Thanks. Not really trying to pat ourselves on the back, especially since nothing is for certain yet, but I still see people routinely ignore our rankings when talking about Orioles prospects, even on this message board. 

It's all good though. I'm always willing to have a healthy debate on why we place guys where we did.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks. Not really trying to pat ourselves on the back, especially since nothing is for certain yet, but I still see people routinely ignore our rankings when talking about Orioles prospects, even on this message board. 

It's all good though. I'm always willing to have a healthy debate on why we place guys where we did.

One thing I appreciate here is the lack of emphasis on "Who is 1, who is 2?" and more the depth of the evaluation. Telling me someone's rank is meaningless without context and OH gives plenty of information about prospects throughout the year, not just a numerical ranking and 3 sentences after the season. 

On 4/27/2019 at 9:55 AM, Frobby said:

I’d argue that Bedard panned out.   Thankfully MacPhail had the foresight to trade him at peak value, because I wouldn’t view him the same way if he’d stayed with us and spent half his time on the IL the next few years.    

I'd say Arrieta panned out.  It was just for someone else... :(

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The best (and really, I mean worst) is when people refer to MLB Pipeline's rankings. I'm not sure I've ever seen a nugget from them that you somehow missed. Obviously, you have more tentacles into the organization, and more frequent eyes on a lot of these guys, so that helps. Still, you'd expect a publication that so many cite to offer better information, IMO. 

28 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'd say Arrieta panned out.  It was just for someone else... :(

Bedard/Arrieta are two great examples. Tillman (who may not belong in this conversation), Bundy and Gausman are others. We've had some arm talent in this organization before. We've just been miserable at getting them from the point that someone like Hall is at now to become an actual dominating starter. 

On 4/28/2019 at 2:59 PM, atomic said:

Dylan Buddy and Hunter Harvey were great at that stage too.  If he gets 17 career WAR like Ballard we should be very happy.

And both of those guys were really legit pitching prospects that have been beset by injury. So barring injury, it's easy to get excited about the kid. 

Poor outing for Hall today, 3.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 7 K’s, 2 HBP.   K’s were nice but that’s it.    He left the game with bases loaded and one out in the 4th and Dietz was able to escape the inning with only one of those runners scoring — a minor miracle the way Dietz has been pitching.  

Hall was used in long relief today and picked up a save, tossing 4 scoreless, one hit innings, walking 3 but striking out 8.    He was relatively efficient, throwing 67 pitches in the 4 innings.  

I think the long relief was just to give him a little break, with Kremer getting a rehab start in Hall’s spot.  

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hall was used in long relief today and picked up a save, tossing 4 scoreless, one hit innings, walking 3 but striking out 8.    He was relatively efficient, throwing 67 pitches in the 4 innings.  

I think the long relief was just to give him a little break, with Kremer getting a rehab start in Hall’s spot.  

He needs to get a handle on the walks. That's 17 free passes + he's also hit 3 batters in just 22 innings this season which is far ahead of his pace from last season.

That said, the kid's stuff is filthy. 38 Ks already.