It's Time - Mountcastle

weams

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nunez had a .894 OPS 7 games ago. SSS allows numbers to fluctuate quickly. In 355 ABs with us Nunez has a .756 OPS and 13 HR. I’ll take that. 

We all know that Davis is keeping Mountcastle down. 

I see nothing wrong with Mountcastle coming up in September. Why be in a hurry to get nowhere fast?  Come next OD, we actually might be able to throw out a pretty good offense, but we aren’t going anywhere with the starting pitching. 

Current O’s rebuild... Grow the bats, buy the arms. 

I honestly think that it's more like "Grow the bats, hope they have gloves, and grow the arms more slowly."

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Papeete said:

Every single time an Orioles Prospect gets hot, selected fans think that he should be promoted to Baltimore!

Reality Check!

He's hitting AAA Pitching . . . Not Major-league Pitching!

Let's see what he is producing August 1.

He's mashing AAA pitching as a 22 year old. Something no one his age is doing better than him. His bat has drawn rave reviews from scouts. It's not like he's Steve Lombardozzi. 

48 minutes ago, LTO's said:

He's mashing AAA pitching as a 22 year old. Something no one his age is doing better than him. His bat has drawn rave reviews from scouts. It's not like he's Steve Lombardozzi. 

There are a few guys.  In the IL,  Austin Riley has a .981 OPS to Mountcastle’s .916.    Over in the PCL there are three 22-year olds with a higher OPS than Mountcastle.   (Hard to compare PCL and IL which is why I mention them separately.)

I think the O’s will be patient here.   He’s learning a new position, we already have a crowd at 1B, and we’re still dealing with a small sample size.     Eventually they will need to find a way to open a slot for him if he continues to take.    For now, just let him keep doing it.

By the way, the IL is averaging 5.31 runs/game, up from 4.16 last season.    So, the way we interpret stats in that league is going to need to change, if that pattern holds.   The PCL is averaging 5.69 per game, up from 4.97.    Using the major league ball seems to be having a pretty dramatic effect!

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are a few guys.  In the IL,  Austin Riley has a .981 OPS to Mountcastle’s .916.    Over in the PCL there are three 22-year olds with a higher OPS than Mountcastle.   (Hard to compare PCL and IL which is why I mention them separately.)

I think the O’s will be patient here.   He’s learning a new position, we already have a crowd at 1B, and we’re still dealing with a small sample size.     Eventually they will need to find a way to open a slot for him if he continues to take.    For now, just let him keep doing it.

By the way, the IL is averaging 5.31 runs/game, up from 4.16 last season.    So, the way we interpret stats in that league is going to need to change, if that pattern holds.   The PCL is averaging 5.69 per game, up from 4.97.    Using the major league ball seems to be having a pretty dramatic effect!

Probably going to want to see a .800+ OPS to really be able to say that are hitters are exceeding at this level if those numbers hold up around the league.  That would put Anthony Santander solidly in the category of disappointing right now. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Probably going to want to see a .800+ OPS to really be able to say that are hitters are exceeding at this level if those numbers hold up around the league.  That would put Anthony Santander solidly in the category of disappointing right now. 

And Stewart.

11 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

And Stewart.

Normally a .750 OPS for the Tides is cause for celebration.   The bar definitely has been raised.   Right now .782 is league average (.709 last year) and the Tides are at .766 (.701 last year).   Stewart is still a bit above average at .806; Santander well below average at .700.   

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Normally a .750 OPS for the Tides is cause for celebration.   The bar definitely has been raised.   Right now .782 is league average (.709 last year) and the Tides are at .766 (.701 last year).   Stewart is still a bit above average at .806; Santander well below average at .700.   

He's been coming around again his last couple games. Average up to .250 from low .200s recently. I believe had a 3-hit game his last one. 

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to seeing Mountcastle being promoted so we can all whine about his defensive shortcomings, even though we're all well aware that they exist.

Also why can’t he take a pitch. Arrgghh

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to seeing Mountcastle being promoted so we can all whine about his defensive shortcomings, even though we're all well aware that they exist.

Folks seem to think Davis and Mancini are good at first so Mountcastle should be fine.

Archived