If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

3 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I get your point, but I do want to say that folks using Wieters as the bad outcome is really not that bad.  Obviously you hope/project him to be Posey (assuming you have a reason to project that upside), but it he ends up "just" being Matt Wieters, then that's not a horrendous outcome.

I completely agree.    Wieters would be a solid outcome at 1-1, even if not ideal.    

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, atomic said:

Seems like 2/3 of the board dont make evaluations on actual performance of GM and just stick to their original instant thought about the GM.  

I don't know about that, but if you mean they don't leap to a drastic conclusion a month into a GM's first season before he has even had a draft, I think the percentage is more like 99%.

Ben McDonald was called the best college pitcher ever available in the draft. Dylan Bundy was the best high school pitcher ever available in the draft. Injuries made both careers far less than all the hype of the scouts and writers. No matter whom they choose, there is no way of knowing what the outcome will be.

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Ben McDonald was called the best college pitcher ever available in the draft. Dylan Bundy was the best high school pitcher ever available in the draft. Injuries made both careers far less than all the hype of the scouts and writers. No matter whom they choose, there is no way of knowing what the outcome will be.

I don't think anyone of note was saying that.

Maybe if he had been three inches taller...

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone of note was saying that.

Maybe if he had been three inches taller...

Kerry Wood and Josh Beckett come to mind as pitchers that were probably more highly regarded coming out of high school. 

Bundy is up there though.  

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Brien Taylor maybe?

Jameson Taillon was a #2 pick.

Taylor for sure.  I just didn't think to include him because he was such a failure. 

I always thought Machado had more hype surrounding him than Taillon.  Was happy when Machado "fell" to us.   

With Bundy, it wasn’t that he was regarded as the best pitcher to come out of high school, it was he touched 100 mph and had a work ethic that you never see from a high school kid. There were stories that his dad had him and his brother dig holes and push the wheel barrel across the yard and fill up another hole. There was video of him as a kid doing boxing exercises. He worked out in a heated gym with a hoodie on.   Might all be part of why he broke down. If I remember correctly, he was quite the hitter as well. Batting something like just over .500. I will have to look it up to make sure I remember correctly. 

.474 hs batting average.  And coming into the draft, he went 11-0 with a 0.30 era

Just now, sevastras said:

With Bundy, it wasn’t that he was regarded as the best pitcher to come out of high school, it was he touched 100 mph and had a work ethic that you never see from a high school kid. There were stories that his dad had him and his brother dig holes and push the wheel barrel across the yard and fill up another hole. There was video of him as a kid doing boxing exercises. He worked out in a heated gym with a hoodie on.   Might all be part of why he broke down. If I remember correctly, he was quite the hitter as well. Batting something like just over .500. I will have to look it up to make sure I remember correctly. 

He had a huge combination of present stuff and polish, the only knock was his body type was pretty maxed and wasn't an ideal pitcher's frame. 

3 minutes ago, sevastras said:

It doesn't really matter. My point was that you can't count on any of them, regardless of the media hype or scouting reports. It's all pretty much a crap shoot. The benefit of having the 1:1 is that you get to choose from the finest crap available, but there are no guarantees.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It doesn't really matter. My point was that you can't count on any of them, regardless of the media hype or scouting reports. It's all pretty much a crap shoot. The benefit of having the 1:1 is that you get to choose from the finest crap available, but there are no guarantees.

That's a nihilist approach, it'd be a pretty boring world if everyone's success was pre-ordained.  

Archived