If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

I’m not buying into the under slot savings to justify passing on Rutschman. I highly doubt the net result will be an outcome a competent GM would trade for. Rutschman could be the 10th best prospect in baseball the second he signs. Witt will probably be somewhere between 25 and 75 while I highly doubt the bonus slot savings player they get will be a top 100 prospect. It’s probably going to end up being an exchange along the lines of number 10 prospect for number 50 and number 150-250 IF they get the falling in draft whose hard to sign slot savings player to actually sign. It’s more risk for less reward.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, atomic said:

Keep running with that narrative. They up their offer for the player right before the deadline.  Their offer was much more than they had to make to get the second pick the next year.

He was mocked by a ton of people as the best prospect in the draft. What did the Astros do with the pick they got when Aiken didn't sign? Somehow you fail to mention the absolute stud they drafted who already has 14 fWAR and followed it up by drafting one of the best prospects in all of baseball and the best pitching prospect in baseball with the subsequent two first round picks. You obviously despise Elias to be a contrarian.

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

He was mocked by a ton of people as the best prospect in the draft. What did the Astros do with the pick they got when Aiken didn't sign? Somehow you fail to mention the absolute stud they drafted who already has 14 fWAR and followed it up by drafting one of the best prospects in all of baseball and the best pitching prospect in baseball with the subsequent two first round picks. You obviously despise Elias to be a contrarian.

They are lucky he didn’t take their offer.  

I haven’t read all the comments, but did anyone ask who else we could take? There must be a pool of a few really outstanding guys who are as close to can’t miss as is reasonably possible. For once, Buck’s ridiculous comment,’If not him, who?’ Is perfectly valid. If not Rutschman, who?

6 hours ago, atomic said:

Of the 54 players picked 5th overall only 8 have more career WAR than Wieters.  

Actually I agree, I don’t understand why people are so down on Wieters.  He was a good not great catcher, and he hit much better than most catchers, and he did so for a lot of years. 

I’d say in general he was worth everything except that last qualifying offer.

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

Actually I agree, I don’t understand why people are so down on Wieters.  He was a good not great catcher, and he hit much better than most catchers, and he did so for a lot of years. 

I’d say in general he was worth everything except that last qualifying offer.

The TJ surgery hurt him

If Elias tries to show he is smarter than everyone else and passes on Rutschman he should be fired.  End of discussion. I heard Dan Connolly went out to see him and said everything positive you can say about someone and said something along the lines of he could be a poster boy from a marketing standpoint. Elias should show how smart he is by making the correct choice and thank everyone who is on board with this pick.  Every team in baseball would like to have the right to pick Rutschman this year.  One of the best players to ever come out of the draft. Don't embarrass us by doing something stupid and have everyone in baseball say same old Orioles.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The TJ surgery hurt him

Well I’m not sure he was worth the risk of the QO, even if healthy. At the time I was mostly ambivalent but leaning towards No. 17 million is a lotta dough for a declining catcher, which he was by then.

Archived