If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

If you do what is considered to be the most logical thing, and fail, well, stuff happens, you deal with it and move on.

if you do something DIFFERENT that is NOT considered to be logical, and fail,  the consequences involve a lot more than sleeping on the couch for a couple days, yessiree.

so mike is going to to what’s expected, and we will be happy, and this invigorating chat will be moot.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Philip said:

If you do what is considered to be the most logical thing, and fail, well, stuff happens, you deal with it and move on.

if you do something DIFFERENT that is NOT considered to be logical, and fail,  the consequences involve a lot more than sleeping on the couch for a couple days, yessiree.

so mike is going to to what’s expected, and we will be happy, and this invigorating chat will be moot.

So, buying a new couch won’t solve all of the problems, but it’s a start. 

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

I haven’t read all the comments, but did anyone ask who else we could take? There must be a pool of a few really outstanding guys who are as close to can’t miss as is reasonably possible. For once, Buck’s ridiculous comment,’If not him, who?’ Is perfectly valid. If not Rutschman, who?

Read my comments in this thread, I mention what I consider to be the next tier.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Read my comments in this thread, I mention what I consider to be the next tier.

Thank you, I guess I haven’t gotten far enough to get to your comments. Are we going to see an article about likely picks in the later rounds?

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Thank you, I guess I haven’t gotten far enough to get to your comments. Are we going to see an article about likely picks in the later rounds?

So I think I can say I follow the amateur draft prospects more than anyone here and as I’ve said many times in many threads I think Rutschman is clearly the best prospect. He’s a 100% lock to stick behind the plate and barring severe physical decline provide value there defensively. And at the plate you can compare his performance to a successful Oregon State draftee like Michael Conforto and Rutschman totally blows him out of the water. The tools are there too, bat speed, natural loft, 6+ raw power from both sides of the plate along with an advanced approach.

That said, there are some scenarios where I’d be ok with them going in a different direction. If they think Hunter Bishop’s arm can be improved, then he’s a 7 power, 6 run guy you can play in centerfield. Witt Jr could be a star. C.J. Abrams has the prototypical body and tools of an elite major league player even if the results aren’t there yet. Josh Jung is a guy who sneakily be a 6 hit, 6 power 3B . And then there is Vaughn who is the best present day bat in the class but if a 5’11” R/R 1B.

So if the O’s can get one of those guys at a considerable savings to slot (2M underslot isn’t unheard of for 1-1) and get a mid first round talent tough sign to 42, then that works for me. There are also some 1st round talents who’ve been injured, Spencer Jones, Kenyon Yovan, Graeme Stinson who you could use overslot on in the 2nd, 3rd, or comp picks. Also there are some Soph eligible guys who might need overslot money to sign who be good value at one of those picks mentioned above like Drey Jameson, Brady McConnell, and Greg Jones.

So there are some ways to go ina different direction that’d make some sense, but those scenarios have plenty of ifs involved and could go very wrong. So I’d prefer they just take the best player.

-Lucas

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

I talk about a bunch of later round names in my Luke’s Draft Musings thread (in the draft forum). I will have an article that I’ve been working on for a while now ranking at least a top 100 draft prospects by my evaluation.

46 minutes ago, section18 said:

If Elias tries to show he is smarter than everyone else and passes on Rutschman he should be fired.  End of discussion. I heard Dan Connolly went out to see him and said everything positive you can say about someone and said something along the lines of he could be a poster boy from a marketing standpoint. Elias should show how smart he is by making the correct choice and thank everyone who is on board with this pick.  Every team in baseball would like to have the right to pick Rutschman this year.  One of the best players to ever come out of the draft. Don't embarrass us by doing something stupid and have everyone in baseball say same old Orioles.

Whew! Thank goodness Dan Connolly signed off on the pick. 

While the underslot first pick to deploy money later for overslot move makes sense, I think that's something elias would be more likely to do in a subsequent draft.  Seems like there's a clear top guy in this draft and with the absence of true elite talent in the system, it seems to me like it would make more sense to get a truly elite guy in the system.  Counterargument would be that you have a long time horizon, so going the more high-risk/high-reward route makes sense.  Counter-counterargument would be that AR represents true high-ceiling/high-floor.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I chose nuclear meltdown and then I realized atomic did, too.  Can I change my vote?

Anytime you get "Lumped In" with Atomic would give me a cause for concern.  So Yes, you are on record as changing your vote with me.

Archived