Brian Roberts is good

accinfo

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's a pretty low bar to set. Santangelo is a 50 year old man who thinks he's a millennial. 

As bad as the Orioles have been in recent years, installing Santangelo to do color commentary would be one of the few scenarios that would cause me to change the channel. 

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

As bad as the Orioles have been in recent years, installing Santangelo to do color commentary would be one of the few scenarios that would cause me to change the channel. 

It's bad enough when they mix and match the announce teams when they play each other. 

15 minutes ago, Section84 said:

What was the story Roberts told Gary Thorne last night about one of his Yankee team mates?   It was a great funny story but I'm  drawing a blank on it now!

I don’t remember that particular story but he and Thorne shared quite a few Rickey Henderson stories of Rickey talking in the third person all the time.

The funniest one was when the team (A’s or Yankees) was boarding a bus and rookie or a young player sat in the seat Rickey normally sat in.  One of the vets yelled out, “Hey Rickey you have tenure you can sit anywhere!” Rickey responded with “No, Rickey has twenty years!”

Edited by shoriole
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I can't listen to Dave Johnson because, well he's not good, and because his voice has always reminded me of my uncle, who I love but I'd rather not have family members get mixed in with my baseball. 

I'd rather listen to a monkey operate a Radio Morning Show Sound Board during games than listen to Dave Johnson.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, shoriole said:

I don’t remember that particular story but he and Thorne shared quite a few Rickey Henderson stories of Rickey talking in the third person all the time.

The funniest one was when the team (A’s or Yankees) was boarding a bus and rookie or a young player sat in the seat Rickey normally sat in.  One of the vets yelled out, “Hey Rickey you have tenure you can sit anywhere!” Rickey responded with “No, Rickey has twenty years!”

My favorite story about Henderson is one year the A’s tried to balance their books but they were $1 mm off.    Eventually they traced it to a bonus check to Rickey that he had never cashed.   Turns out he’d had it framed and hung it on his wall!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My favorite story about Henderson is one year the A’s tried to balance their books but they were $1 mm off.    Eventually they traced it to a bonus check to Rickey that he had never cashed.   Turns out he’d had it framed and hung it on his wall!

My favorite Henderson story is one I haven't heard twenty times before.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought the one Roberts told last night was funny. Rickey got on first base when John Olerud came over to hold him on. He looked at Olerud (who wore a helmet in the field due to a brain injury he had at one point) and said, "Hey, I had a teammate who wore a helmet in the field too!" That's when Olerud said, "That was me Ricky!"

:D

• Upvote 1

So far, Roberts has passed my personal "Do I need to yell at the TV over something they said that was stupid or so over the top homer?"

Honestly, he's been pretty good overall. He, Ben McDonald and Greg Olson are all pretty good listens, though any of them when partnered with the "Brick Tamland" become worse.

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I thought the one Roberts told last night was funny. Rickey got on first base when John Olerud came over to hold him on. He looked at Olerud (who wore a helmet in the field due to a brain injury he had at one point) and said, "Hey, I had a teammate who wore a helmet in the field too!" That's when Olerud said, "That was me Ricky!"

:D

I mentioned that story last night, and I wasn't listening to Roberts.