Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

3 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

The absolute horror of a 26 year old falling back a bit in his second major league season while still matching his power numbers. 

He fell back a good bit last year.   I think the way you worded your prior post (“he was 3rd in the ROY voting two years ago and hasn’t dropped off since”) isn’t very accurate.  An .826 OPS and then .715 OPS are not very close.    

However, all that is beside the point.    Mancini is at .925 OPS now, and if he stays in that neighborhood the next two months, he’ll certainly have decent value at the trade deadline.   

• Upvote 1

I agree with both sentiments here that he would be a good trade chip if his numbers stay up and he is a player that I wouldn't mind keeping and extending for the next 5 years. The bottom line is if you can get the right deal you have to make it for anyone.  I trust these guys that if a contender had a need for him they would try to extract maximum compensation for a potential All-Star player.  That to me would be pluck at least 2 top prospects from a contender's organization.  If not then you have a pretty good player who seems to be a great person.

• Upvote 1

I say we need some players to be the core of the team for the future.  Generally I say trade the talented ones when in a major rebuild, but Trey is a rare combination of talent and human qualities that do not come along very often. I see him as the Face of the Orioles for years to come.  As for his sophomore jinx year, it was just that.  His huge rebound this year proved what I suspected last year.   No one knows why sophomore jinxes happen, bit it happened to me in 1956.   That was the only year in all my playing time that I could not hit a baseball.  It was a moral victory if I got it out of the infield.    One does not hear much about sophomore jinxes these days, but they are still very real.  Glad Trey has rebounded so good.  

30 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I say we need some players to be the core of the team for the future.  Generally I say trade the talented ones when in a major rebuild, but Trey is a rare combination of talent and human qualities that do not come along very often. I see him as the Face of the Orioles for years to come.  As for his sophomore jinx year, it was just that.  His huge rebound this year proved what I suspected last year.   No one knows why sophomore jinxes happen, bit it happened to me in 1956.   That was the only year in all my playing time that I could not hit a baseball.  It was a moral victory if I got it out of the infield.    One does not hear much about sophomore jinxes these days, but they are still very real.  Glad Trey has rebounded so good.  

Mancini hurt himself sliding into the wall last year, he banged his knee into the wall out in LF. And he played through it. I suspect this hurt his hitting badly. 

8 hours ago, Natty said:

We need to get Mancini out of the OF before he hurts himself, or someone else. He should play 1B or DH.

I agree here, its why he should be traded as well, if theres a good match.  His  best value is as a 1B/DH, maybe 1-2 days a week tops in RF/LF, and theres no room now for him at 1B, there definitely won't be in a season or two, unless our prospects all fail.  

Using Orioles prospect equivalents, here's a wild, totally unsupported, guess.

1. Keegan Akin
2. Rylan Bannon
3. Jean Carlos Encarnacion

The first looks like a sure fire ML roster guy. A decent pitcher to have on a roster. The second could be an solid/average starter if things work out. The third is a long way away but could develop. I don't think a big headliner is in the cards. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Using Orioles prospect equivalents, here's a wild, totally unsupported, guess.

1. Keegan Akin
2. Rylan Bannon
3. Jean Carlos Encarnacion

The first looks like a sure fire ML roster guy. A decent pitcher to have on a roster. The second could be an solid/average starter if things work out. The third is a long way away but could develop. I don't think a big headliner is in the cards. 

That seems about right.   If he were just an average outfielder,  I think he'd be worth more.   Not a lot more, but one where you might actually get a very good (not great) prospect in a package.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

That seems about right.   If he were just an average outfielder,  I think he'd be worth more.   Not a lot more, but one where you might actually get a very good (not great) prospect in a package.

I think Akin still has upside too. Could end up being a really nice piece, or a 4/5/reliever. I like Bannon, but am not sold that he'll be quite good enough to stick in the majors. No clue what will become of JCE, but he seems like a good prospect to watch.