Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Trumbo hit 47 Homeruns, but his value only skyrocketed with us. The fact is most teams don’t want guys who only hit home runs anymore.

This is the exact reason why I would temper expectations  if Mancini is traded.  I think guys like Nunez and Mancini show you that right handed power hitters who don't really have a defensive home are easy to find.  A lesson the last regime failed to learn or didn't care enough to listen to when they signed Trumbo.  

I think Luke Voit is the best example.  The Yankees gave up nothing for him.  CJ Cron is a bit worse player but illustrates the same thing. 

37 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

This is the exact reason why I would temper expectations  if Mancini is traded.  I think guys like Nunez and Mancini show you that right handed power hitters who don't really have a defensive home are easy to find.  A lesson the last regime failed to learn or didn't care enough to listen to when they signed Trumbo.  

I think Luke Voit is the best example.  The Yankees gave up nothing for him.  CJ Cron is a bit worse player but illustrates the same thing. 

Mancini is not just a decent power hitter, but carries a good BA. He is very bright and as he continues to adjust to ML pitchers, his stats should continue to be good or even better.    And he has a defensive home at 1st base.  If not with the Orioles, then I am sure other teams recognize where his defensive home is.  His defense at 1st base is good considering the bat that he brings to that position. Only 3 errors in each of the last 2 years there, 324 innings in 2017, and 363 innings in 2018.    Also, I believe he is an asset to any teams locker room, as he leads by example, if not with a loud mouth.  I say trade him only if they get a blow me away offer.  Otherwise,  build your next winning team around him.    

2 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Mancini is not just a decent power hitter, but carries a good BA. He is very bright and as he continues to adjust to ML pitchers, his stats should continue to be good or even better.    And he has a defensive home at 1st base.  If not with the Orioles, then I am sure other teams recognize where his defensive home is.  His defense at 1st base is good considering the bat that he brings to that position. Only 3 errors in each of the last 2 years there, 324 innings in 2017, and 363 innings in 2018.    Also, I believe he is an asset to any teams locker room, as he leads by example, if not with a loud mouth.  I say trade him only if they get a blow me away offer.  Otherwise,  build your next winning team around him.    

Can you give some examples of him adjusting to pitchers?  Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Yes, but that doesn't make my preference any less valid.I think this kid is a solid player and the likelihood of getting another prospect like him in return is not that high. Mancini is your, controllable, affordable and producing. Not every player needs to be traded...

But if you have a younger and less expensive version ready to go it makes sense to move the older, more expensive version.

Keeping him around for the rebuild years doesn't make sense if he's not going to be part of the next winning team.

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Yes, but that doesn't make my preference any less valid.I think this kid is a solid player and the likelihood of getting another prospect like him in return is not that high. Mancini is young, controllable, affordable and producing. Not every player needs to be traded...

I agree with you, Roy. I can't see the return on Mancini being that promising - his value to the club exceeds the middling "prospect" he'd bring back.

The O's have approx $30M on the books in 2020 right now - with Bundy, Castro, and Mancini likely the only arbitration eligible players. They can afford him.

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Yes, but that doesn't make my preference any less valid.I think this kid is a solid player and the likelihood of getting another prospect like him in return is not that high. Mancini is young, controllable, affordable and producing. Not every player needs to be traded...

He's all those things, but he is also fairly replaceable.  We will need to find a place for Ryan Mountcastle when he is ready.  Makes sense to move Mancini if you can get a decent package back.  We need more infielders and pitchers, not 1B/DH types.  

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

I agree with you, Roy. I can't see the return on Mancini being that promising - his value to the club exceeds the middling "prospect" he'd bring back.

The O's have approx $30M on the books in 2020 right now - with Bundy, Castro, and Mancini likely the only arbitration eligible players. They can afford him.

Cobb and Davis are 31M.  You think Villar gets non-tendered or traded?

Also it isn't a matter of being able to afford him.  It's a matter of spending intelligently, something the O's have been poor at under Angelos.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Cobb and Davis are 31M.  You think Villar gets non-tendered or traded?

Also it isn't a matter of being able to afford him.  It's a matter of spending intelligently, something the O's have been poor at under Angelos.

They do need to field a team - and they need veterans for plenty of reasons. Mancini probably makes around $2M in his first year of arbitration. I think spending $2M for a guy who can adequately play 1B/LF/RF with solid offense is intelligent spending.

There is plenty of room for Mancini, Mountcastle, and a 60-Day-IL Davis on the team. Trumbo is gone next year and I don't think the O's should be making plans based on a Renato Nunez hot streak.

Everybody here wants to trade a decent player as soon as they hit arbitration so that a player from the minors can be called up and eventually traded when they hit arbitration. How can the O's ever expect to get better when they are making lateral moves at every position? The approx $2M they save from trading Mancini is going to let the O's finally land that big free agent? They can't afford new analytics infrastructure with a $40M payroll versus a $42M payroll?

1 minute ago, theocean said:

They do need to field a team - and they need veterans for plenty of reasons. Mancini probably makes around $2M in his first year of arbitration. I think spending $2M for a guy who can adequately play 1B/LF/RF with solid offense is intelligent spending.

There is plenty of room for Mancini, Mountcastle, and a 60-Day-IL Davis on the team. Trumbo is gone next year and I don't think the O's should be making plans based on a Renato Nunez hot streak.

Everybody here wants to trade a decent player as soon as they hit arbitration so that a player from the minors can be called up and eventually traded when they hit arbitration. How can the O's ever expect to get better when they are making lateral moves at every position? The approx $2M they save from trading Mancini is going to let the O's finally land that big free agent? They can't afford new analytics infrastructure with a $40M payroll versus a $42M payroll?

How soon until the O's are good?

I'm thinking at least thee years from now.

In three years Mancini will not be the type of player you want on the roster.

If you can trade something for him now why wouldn't you?

Just so some of the fans can watch him play during the rebuild?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah, give those 10,000 fans a night something to cheer for!

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure - if they can get something back for him, they should trade him. But, I guess the debate is what "something" is. If it's a right-handed AAAA pitcher, that's not really worth it, is it?  

If someone gifts me a brand new TV - I'm not going to sell my current one for a low-ball offer. I'd put it in another room in the house. It still has value.